Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1042 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,392 Posts
Got my restored wood pieces in today. Now I only wish I would have done the top pieces too.

Madera Concepts in NoCal did very nice work.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
794 Posts
Wow, very nice! Seeing how good the bottom pieces turned out I have a feeling that the top pieces will be heading off to Madera soon. Now you have me thinking...

·
Registered
1984 380SL
132 Posts
I've long harbored a suspicion that Mercedes had a grudge against North America by supplying cars that ranged from inferior to lacking options Europeans and the rest of the world had access to.

Still can't fathom a valid reason for the Single Row Timing chain in our 380SLs.
I just learned about the Single Row Timing chain in the US last year when changing mine which also surprised me. Anyway I don't think Mercedes had a grudge against North America. My guess is that it was the prices of cars in the US that was extremely low compared to Europe at the time which made the European manufacturers to look for savings in the manufacturing process so they could sell the cars at all in the US. When i was an exchange student in Lincoln, Ne 1982-83 a brand new Corvette was 21.950 USD while our 380SL was around 83.400 USD at the exchange rate valid in 1984. Also Volvo's where about 50% more expensive in Sweden than the same car (US cars had a lot more std equipment) in the US.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,225 Posts
Today, I just looked at it. Yesterday, I drove it. Getting new tires end of the week and an "Italian" tuneup shortly after that.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
30,869 Posts
Do you have a picture of what you need?

I have 2 spares but don't know which ones....either pre 86 or post 86....I'll have to look once I see what you need.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,225 Posts
Got new tires Tuesday and learned something new about my car. Backing out after getting tires, it felt like I was hitting something the car couldn't get over. Thought a rear wheel bearing went out. Had it towed to a mechanic. He found the LR lugs were going in too far and hitting the e-brake. He told me there are steel inserts in the lug holes on Bundt wheels, and the LR wheel didn't have any. He changed that wheel to the front and put a wheel with the inserts on the LR. I drove it home this morning--no problem. My mechanic is ordering the inserts.

·
30,869 Posts
Taking it out on the road and putting it through its paces or for a long, fast drive.
And if you don't want a speeding ticket....drop a gear....or two.

High revs for a while.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550,1977 450 SL, 1980 450 SL, 2016GLE AMG
533 Posts
Do you have a picture of what you need?

I have 2 spares but don't know which ones....either pre 86 or post 86....I'll have to look once I see what you need.
Isn't it next to the seat?

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,985 Posts
Trying to clean the transmission case on my '83 380. Nothing I do gets it clean.
It's cleaner than it was when I started but far from the nice shinny new looking aluminum I'm after.

I ordered an aluminum buffing/polishing kit. We'll see if that helps but I might be forced to paint it silver.
MercTransmissionCleaning.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can’t be serious about painting your automatic transmission. First off, it’s aluminum for several reasons . Pretty isn’t one of them. Keeping it cool is one of the most important thing, along with proper fluid level. Aluminum dissipates the heat where painting it will hold heat in. Not good. There are several aluminum wheel cleaners that will give you a much better look while keeping it natural.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
You can learn a lot here. Didn't know that about painting an aluminum tranny.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,985 Posts
You can’t be serious about painting your automatic transmission. First off, it’s aluminum for several reasons . Pretty isn’t one of them. Keeping it cool is one of the most important thing, along with proper fluid level. Aluminum dissipates the heat where painting it will hold heat in. Not good. There are several aluminum wheel cleaners that will give you a much better look while keeping it natural.
I already tried the aluminum cleaners that all claim to make aluminum look new... none of them did. My latest attempt was with a product called Aluminum Brightener. It resulted in the transmission looking like what I showed in the picture taken today. Anything but bright.

I have an aluminum polishing kit on the way... if that doesn't work then I'll definitely paint the case silver. I've watched literally hundreds of videos on transmission rebuilds and many of them paint the case with silver paint... but I'll admit, many don't.

Maybe silver paint has better heat dissipation qualities than paints with color. Who knows? Or maybe a few thousandths of an inch layer of silver paint dissipates heat better than a crud layer comprised of oil, tranny fluid, road tar, clay and good old sludge... very similar to what I've already removed from the case. Yeah... that's the ticket.

It will probably never come to that as I can't see aluminum polishing not bringing a nice aluminum luster to the case... at least making it more in line with the look I'm after.

And yes... pretty does matter (to me). :) :) :)

·
30,869 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can appreciate and understand you wanting it to be clean. An admirable feat. I will admit clean is way better than grease and grime. I would be interested in seeing the ultimate finished item. As well as the method and products you used to achieve the final goal.
While I’m not into shiny spotless on the drivetrain, I do like a clean vehicle . One could say I’m more into optimum performance for everything that’s in and on a vehicle. From brakes, speakers, wipers , blades to lights and radiators. I’ve even added a cold air induction system to my motors intake. I did contemplate powder coating my dome covers. I chose to leave them as MB intended. The air cleaned housing is a different subject I’m still looking into. To paint or polish that is the question.. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,592 Posts
You can’t be serious about painting your automatic transmission. First off, it’s aluminum for several reasons .
Painting aluminum is not easy. Requires special paint system. Shortcut it and it will come off and not look pretty at all!

Polishing can get it looking good for a while, but after a while it will look like it did before polishing.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,985 Posts
Painting aluminum is not easy. Requires special paint system. Shortcut it and it will come off and not look pretty at all!

Polishing can get it looking good for a while, but after a while it will like it did before polishing.
You might say the same about your morning shower. :) :) :)

Clean isn't a one time operation, to keep these things looking bright and shiny takes a lot of work.

941 - 960 of 1042 Posts