Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

501 - 514 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
608 Posts
Yes, there is a connection (12 volts output) to run an electric antenna. No separate power output for turning on an amp though, so I connected the antenna, and amp's power on relay to this wire. I still need to see if this wire remains energized when the head is switched from radio to CD/USB or not. In another thread, CavallinoRed mentioned that with his Continental head (essentially the same internalsl) the antenna remains up when he switches from radio to CD (power to antenna still energized), so I think my amp will remain on when I switch functions.

There are only 2 RCA preamp output jacks on this head. I was lucky in that my newly discovered amp (I only realized that I even had an amp after 2 years when I checked to see what speakers had been installed in the parcel shelf by the p/o) has a selector switch for 2 channels input, 4 channels out, or 4 channels input, 4 channels out. Selecting the "2 channels in" option saved me from using the Kienzle's internal amp, which would have meant rewiring the speaker wires to the head, running 2 channels from the head to the amp through an RCA type converter, or installing a "high power input" amp. This way, it was literally connect 2 existing RCA cables to the head, flip the amp switch to "2 cannels input", and I was finished.

·
Registered
'71 350SL, '76 450SLC (Euro both)
273 Posts
Finally! After years of off and on work, I finally finished painting the 350SL. I had to strip to bare metal in order to paint it the original color, Papyrus White. They were so many layers of metallic teal paint, primer and filler, on top of the white, one more layer would have looked terrible. I had to paint in sections because of the door jambs and because my paint area is so small. It's been a journey. Now the assembly, cut and polish.

As an aside, the car quit running after I got it in the garage. Wouldn't start again and was pissing coolant on the exhaust manifold somewhere near cylinder #4. Great. I'm not going to even think about it for a couple of weeks. But I will be reading Jyuma's thread soon....

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Looks great! Congratulations on getting it painted and I hope your issue ends up being something easy. You are in the right place at least and i’m sure you’ll get it figured out and be on the road in no time whether it’s easy or not.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, great job! Well worth all of your time, and effort. I give you a lot of credit for having taken this on.

·
Registered
1974 450SL, Dark_Blue/Parchment
263 Posts
Test fit new front air dame and dame, makes a huge difference! Looks awesome and was very plug and play, even on my 1974.

Love the look and can’t wait to get it painted! (y)

·
Registered
608 Posts
It looks great with the euro lights, and bumper. Plug and play is always nice too.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
246 Posts
Changed the grill and star Friday , today (Monday) I changed the speedo from a 85mph one to a 160 mph one Placed a battery in the battery box and left it un attached till the motor gets changed. Tomorrow I'll get the heat gun out with a plastic scraper and take off the five rows of pin striping that runs down the side.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
246 Posts
What did I do to my 107 today?

I piled up some acquired empty cardboard boxes on the hood...for lack of any other place.... and then rubbed the rear quarter with a garbage can.

Still more to do on my list.
another productive outing. I like those days.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #514 (Edited)
Replaced both Tie Rods on my 1986 560SL.
Replaced with Moog I obtained from AutohausAZ = $73.00 for the pair.
Made an sizing template using a piece of cardboard in order to get them close.
Still going to do an Alignment.

My 560SL has recently turned 190,000 miles and the old Tie Rods were not totally gone but they were not no where as stiff and the new ones. Also, they don't appear to be original as they did not utilize the Castle Nut and Cotter Pin like the way they came when new. They had some time on them as they were pretty grungy in appearance.

Tomorrow I going to try to get the "old lady" to assist in wiggling the Steering Wheel while I look at the Steering Coupler. If its OK, I'll tighten the Steering Gear a quarter turn. I'm hoping for good Karma as I do not want to tackle my second Steering Coupler, but if I have to I'll follow the @PanzerPuff process. In preparation I sprayed PB Blaster on the Steering Coupler bolts and on the adjusting nut on the Steering Gear Box. The Steering Gear Adjusting Nut looks like it has never been tampered with, so fingers crossed.

501 - 514 of 514 Posts