Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

461 - 480 of 514 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,767 Posts
I spent about 1/2 hr as a start on removing foam this morning. Left hood/bonnet in place (I need to use car soon!)

Long reach to scrape back & middle. Found an ideal tool for first pass. Ice scraper end of snow brush!

Took me longer to post these pics from phone than to do the scraping :(

I was going to buy one of those Febi pads. But really these foam pads are of poor quality. I am looking for something better. I used a high density foam carpet underlay when I rebuilt the sculptured foam pads under the SLs carpets. It's about 3/8" thick and has finished surface on bothe sides.Different application, but the foam is meant to be an acoustic foam, has a fire rating and "looks" more durable than the pads we get sold. Hope they still stock it.

ADDED. Just finished removing the small patches. Used variety of tools. Mainly a narrow metal scraper but being careful not to dig in. (plastic scraper didn't work well) Also a small hand brass wire brush and a large wire brush wheel using my power drill. This got rid of the small tenacious spots. May stay like this for a while. I need to get at the SL's front sway bar & links. And check it's hood pad.

·
Registered
'71 350SL, '76 450SLC (Euro both)
273 Posts
The brass expansion tank was in rough shape (peeling paint, corrosion, dirty). So I took it in to get media blasted. Turned out great. But I noticed the solder around the filler neck was cracked. I heated it up with the torch to try and close up the crack. Unfortunately I melted the plastic neck for the pressure relief hose. And when I picked it up by the neck, it fell off in my hands due to the corrosion. So now another project and a trip to the welding supply store...

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
539 Posts
I had this blow out on the rad bottom hose to thermostat housing when I put the engine back in. It was twisted to just the wrong angle. It blew out within a minute of the engine being started and was still on the drive luckily. No problem with the top hose though.

View attachment 2646898

I'll check that hose as well!!

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
539 Posts
Did you remove your Hood (aka Bonnet) when you installed the insulation pad?
I need to do mine and thought it would be easier if it was removed.
No - @ChiefRider had done a couple of these before, and he was confident it could be done with the hood attached. I had removed all the old pad before the hood was fitted and painted, so there was no scraping to do. And I was very concerned I might damage the paint if removing/reinstalling the hood.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
Cat got trapped in Garage overnight and left me with paw prints all over both my SLs.
Spent yesterday morning and this morning washing and detailing with Macguires Quick Detailer.
Did it each morning starting at 7:00am to avoid the sun. I had previously clayed and waxed my 380SL.
I used my Echo Leaf Blower to first blow out debris in the Engine compartment, and finally to blow dry the car after washing. All jams wiped dry. That Macguires Quick Detailer sure brought out the shine on my red 560SL.

Still would like to get rid of one of these SL's so I can focus on just one. Both now need AC topped off.
The 380SL needs an Accumulator, and the 560SL likely is in need of Tie Rods to tighten up the steering.

After washing and blowing dry, I wiped down any remaining water on door jams, etc. Then applied the Macguires. A requirement is that I take each SL for a spin for a few miles to insure all water is blowed out :)
Selection_949.png

Signal Red really shines and is very showy ...
Selection_950.png

"Angel" is really in much better SL ...
Selection_951.png

Reactions: benztag

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
No - @ChiefRider had done a couple of these before, and he was confident it could be done with the hood attached. I had removed all the old pad before the hood was fitted and painted, so there was no scraping to do. And I was very concerned I might damage the paint if removing/reinstalling the hood.
I was thinking someone a few years ago was able to attach a pad with the big Mercedes Star painted on it.
I was thinking it was a pad intended for an R129. That would be cool. Be even cooler if we could raise our hoods vertical like many other Mercedes.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Nice look with a new Hood Pad.
Doing this, how many people do you recommend to do this?

The Pad on my 380SL is still good after 37 years.
The Pad on my 560SL is falling apart and I use 3M spray adhesive but I wonder if
there is something better as the pad has come unglued a couple times - might be because the Pad is simply deteriorating.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
300 Posts

The Pad on my 560SL is falling apart and I use 3M spray adhesive but I wonder if
there is something better as the pad has come unglued a couple times - might be because the Pad is simply deteriorating.
I don't feel the foam pads will last all that long, but it surprised me how easy it was to apply, in the end, Carl
I used Sika contact adhesive 105, which is a rebrand from their 4600 AU
Didn't bother completely cleaning everything off the bonnet (hood), just removed all the foam and any loose stuff left over
Then used a 130mm foam roller to apply the glue to the pad first (pad takes a tiny bit longer to dry) then to the bonnet
Don't apply the glue to about 20 or 30mm around the pad or bonnet, makes it easier to handle and apply
Definitely two people, one to hold the pad up on one side and in about the right position without contacting the bonnet
The other person lines it up just over the top lip, about 4 or 5mm, and apply the first bit to the bonnet
Hold it there, although if you get the glue set up time right, about 10 mins, it will hold on it's own
Grab the bottom corner, same side, and apply it to the bonnet, keeping it snug inside against the fold in the edge of the bonnet
Then just tap spots along this edge, then lightly push the pad against the bonnet working across to the other side
It will go on and stay surprisingly easy, then tuck in the other edge
That's when I used the roller in the below pic, in this case a carpet seam roller, but anything will do including a small paint roller
Once it's all rolled flat then tuck the edge of the pad into the top lip, finishes it off really well and helps prevent if from peeling off with usage
I thought it would be easier to remove the bonnet, but taking the pad up to the installed bonnet makes it easier, it only contacts the bonnet when you push it on to it, and where you want it
Keep in mind my glue tack time of around 10 mins was with 10c and humidity around 85, drier hotter climates will be quite a deal less
Between this pad and the boot carpet the car feels that much cleaner and neater, and finished (almost!)
Pics below are the glue used, reasonably thin and rolls very easily, the foam roller, carpet roller, and other pic shows the lip you want to install the carpet just over, then tuck it under
I used about half of the first 1 litre can of glue on the boot carpet, then bought another litre to make sure I didn't run out
If you're just doing the bonnet, I used a little over half a litre

20200820_221348.jpg 20200820_221446.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,767 Posts

The first time I did my SL, I used standard 3M spray adhesive and didn't do a thorough job of removing whatever contact adhesive was there previously. The pad came unstuck after about a year, but was still good. Then I took hood off and did a thorough job of cleaning. I then sprayed 3 coats of 3M 8090 adhesive on hood and pad alternating spray direction. Takes about 1-1/2 cans. The pad is still in place after 15 years. Pad has a surface layer fabric?

My 300D was done same way. You can see the remaining adhesive in the picture I posted earlier. I wouldn't remove that if I install new pad. In that case, it was the foam pad that completely disintegrated. The adhesive held and I could peel away some of what was left of the foam. I am having second thoughts about buying another pad for that car. Either leave as-is or find a different material to make a pad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
20200806_193900.jpg
I installed an integrated garage door opener.
Also stuffed some poodles in the drivers seat to stiffen it up. The barking stopped a couple days later.

·
Registered
1986 560SL, 1993 Isuzu Bighorn (RHD & Diesel)
60 Posts
Cruise control went out a few weeks ago. I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, inspected all the other parts, then conformal coated the board. I don't remember where I read it but its exponentially easier to pull out the circuit card from the bottom of the housing instead of pulling out the whole box.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
18 Posts
We got a break from the heat and humidity today in New England, so I took the opportunity to install a new hood pad and seal. I did it with the hood still installed, which may be a little more challenging, but wasn’t a huge deal as long as you have a helper. Very pleased with the result. Now that it’s installed, I can see I’ve got some cleaning to do in other areas of the engine compartment.
99A20D70-052A-49E9-B0D0-CE51F4BED068.jpeg

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
256 Posts
Suffered a severe loss of power which seemed to happen quite quickly.The engine just wouldn't rev and going up any steeper hill was quite a trial. It seemed as if the gas pedal wouldn't go through the floor which is what was needed and kicking down, while it eventually happened, didn't seem to improve things much. On the flat she ran OK but with no oomph. Although I'm no longer much of a DYI type I hoisted open the hood and more in desperation than knowledge squirted some. WD 40 on the throttle linkages - Magic! Acceleration restored immediately. I was rather pleased with myself.Could wish all my problems could be solved as easily!

·
Premium Member
10,767 Posts
I hoisted open the hood and more in desperation than knowledge squirted some. WD 40 on the throttle linkages - Magic! Acceleration restored immediately. I was rather pleased with myself.Could wish all my problems could be solved as easily!
I have had that happen on my 85 300D. I was on a trip to Toronto once when that happened. I took it to an Indy there that I knew. He oiled all the ball joints in the linkage with ATF and away I went. Ever since then, I have done the same. WD40 might not last too long, but you will know what to do next time :)

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
256 Posts
I have had that happen on my 85 300D. I was on a trip to Toronto once when that happened. I took it to an Indy there that I knew. He oiled all the ball joints in the linkage with ATF and away I went. Ever since then, I have done the same. WD40 might not last too long, but you will know what to do next time :)
Good thinking re the longevity of WD 40. I just added a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil to each link. Hope that will last but if not, as you say, I know what to do.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
539 Posts
I drove my '76 450SL on the road for the very first time today! :)

I got the registration on Wednesday, but the weather was bad yesterday.

Just took a very short trip down the street and back, but she's back on the road after (about) 20 years. I started the restoration 5 years ago, but spent two years out of state with work, so I'm feeling pretty pleased.

Seemed to drive pretty well, but hoping that tomorrow we can take a longer trip, and my wife (who I have restored the car for) can drive it as well. Going to stay close to home, but want to put 50-100 miles on it just to check everything out - and drop by a local home made ice-cream store (her request!)

Still a few jobs to do (the main one is fitting the roof...), but just wanted to celebrate a milestone - and thank everyone here who has helped , encouraged and inspired me over the last five years, especially @ChiefRider who lives locally, and dropped by regularly to help, advise, encourage and commiserate on the bad days!

Thanks to everyone!

Some before and after.... (after taken a couple of weeks ago...)

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,688 Posts
I am hoping we can join you for that ride together this weekend- 2 SL's are better than one, right?

Just to add a little to theFixer's story. I'm not sure anyone here understands the level of attention to detail that has gone into this car; it must be among the best examples of a 450SL in existence. I actually can't wait to go for a ride in this car so as to experience what one was like when new, it is that good. And correction- better than new. Some of the very well thought out and executed improvements that have been made by theFixer include better lighting, a beautifully updated sound system based around the original Becker, 15" bundts and more- A truly great car I hope many here get the chance to see for themselves, the photos do not do justice.

461 - 480 of 514 Posts