Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

401 - 420 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
882 Posts
Changed oil and filter, serviced trans (fluid/filter change. Still trying to figure out which belt-driven appliance under the hood is whining periodically. Maybe if I gave it some cheese it would stop? Think about it.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
10 Posts
I had signals not blinking issues for some time now. I constantly changed flashers (at the rate of 1/year). I got tired of paying for hazard/flasher switches that are bad or work intermittently. I decided to ‘hack’ it. I put a 2-pin electro-mechanical flasher relay in series with 49a pin, to be serve as the relay for using the signals.

It works perfectly.

Problem solved for 5 dollars, and I bought 5 more of these flashers as spares for a fraction of the cost of a new used combo switch.

#FeelingRicherAlready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '91 Alfa Spider, '06 Porsche 911 C2S
45 Posts
After almost ten years I finally figured out my central locking issue. About six months into buying my 380SL, my door lock stopped turning all the way clockwise and clicking. This caused a hissing vacuum release sound and intermittent locking of the trunk and passenger door. The first thing I tried back then was to replace the vacuum element in the door, which did nothing, and I left it alone for all these years just locking each door separately. I figured it was an issue in the lock tumbler itself and thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

Today I had some free time and decided to have another crack at it, and went for the door latch mechanism. I got it out and checked out for the springs that supposedly break, but everything looked perfect. Once I figured out how to get the mechanism to lock outside of the car though, was when I saw it. Jamming the locking mechanism was a washer that had somehow made its way into the door latch and stuck itself in with all the grease. I got it out, and boom, a clicking lock in both directions.

I've done a ton of work to this car over the years, including the dreadful steering coupler replacement (complete with rounded off head and subsequent steering shaft removal) but nothing felt quite as satisfying as finally figuring this out.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,093 Posts
After almost ten years I finally figured out my central locking issue. About six months into buying my 380SL, my door lock stopped turning all the way clockwise and clicking. This caused a hissing vacuum release sound and intermittent locking of the trunk and passenger door. The first thing I tried back then was to replace the vacuum element in the door, which did nothing, and I left it alone for all these years just locking each door separately. I figured it was an issue in the lock tumbler itself and thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

Today I had some free time and decided to have another crack at it, and went for the door latch mechanism. I got it out and checked out for the springs that supposedly break, but everything looked perfect. Once I figured out how to get the mechanism to lock outside of the car though, was when I saw it. Jamming the locking mechanism was a washer that had somehow made its way into the door latch and stuck itself in with all the grease. I got it out, and boom, a clicking lock in both directions.

I've done a ton of work to this car over the years, including the dreadful steering coupler replacement (complete with rounded off head and subsequent steering shaft removal) but nothing felt quite as satisfying as finally figuring this out.
Nice find... but for me, I don't lock the car so I wouldn't care if the locking mechanism worked or didn't. I learned years ago that the way to save you convertible top and perhaps your window glass is to leave the car unlocked. I lost a bunch of radios back in the 80's and had I left the doors unlocked I wouldn't have lost the top at the same time. I had so many radios stolen that I finally installed a Benzi Box. The radio slid right out and I'd take it with me or put it in the trunk. I did lock the trunk.

Full disclosure... I once lost a radio and a passenger side window, with the doors unlocked. All the thief had to do was open the door but instead he/it broke the glass.

Back in the day, it was so common for Mercedes radios to be stolen that the cops didn't even bother to take a report.

·
Registered
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '91 Alfa Spider, '06 Porsche 911 C2S
45 Posts
Nice find... but for me, I don't lock the car so I wouldn't care if the locking mechanism worked or didn't. I learned years ago that the way to save you convertible top and perhaps your window glass is to leave the car unlocked. I lost a bunch of radios back in the 80's and had I left the doors unlocked I wouldn't have lost the top at the same time. I had so many radios stolen that I finally installed a Benzi Box. The radio slid right out and I'd take it with me or put it in the trunk. I did lock the trunk.

Full disclosure... I once lost a radio and a passenger side window, with the doors unlocked. All the thief had to do was open the door but instead he/it broke the glass.

Back in the day, it was so common for Mercedes radios to be stolen that the cops didn't even bother to take a report.
I used to do this, but I knew of scum bags in high school who would seek out unlocked cars and rob them so I’m mindful of always locking my doors. Not that I really ever leave anything valuable in there, but I’ve had people rummage through my unlocked cars before and it’s not a nice feeling. The radio thing always worries me with my modern car with a new Carplay unit, but my SL has the Continental TR7412 that looks vintage and useless to any would-be thief.

The one thing I always leave unlocked though is the glovebox, I figure that replacing a window or roof is doable but dealing with someone’s attempt at breaking that open would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #406

I remember walking down a street in NYC back around the time I purchased my Mercedes 380SL - around 1983, and seeing this beautiful black Mercedes parked with a sign in the window "Radio Already Stolen". Made me think "Thank God I don't live in this hell hole"!! And, why would anyone in their right mind have a nice car in a city like this. Back in the 1980's NYC was very much a hell hole. Wifey wants to go to NYC for some reason but I can't get out of my mind what it was like when did a lot of traveling there.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
134 Posts
In Australia, insurance will make your life difficult if you don't lock your car and it's stolen/damaged
But I find it funny, how do you lock a convertible, and I never seem to worry when I leave it out front with no roof, there seems to be a general hands off rule around convertibles, old ones at least

·
Registered
1986 560SL
109 Posts
I always lock mine - no matter. I figure there is at least $500 of goodies in the trunk (spare, tool kit, etc.). Also it seems it would be good to exercise the central lock system on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1986 560SL, 1993 Isuzu Bighorn (RHD & Diesel)
36 Posts
Yesterday I was tracking down a cut vacuum line from climate control switch behind the dash (appears a section just disappeared). I tried taking off the steering wheel to remove the dash but I stripped the allen key. On the bright side removing the airbag cleared my SRS light so I'm counting this as a win.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,093 Posts
I remember walking down a street in NYC back around the time I purchased my Mercedes 380SL - around 1983, and seeing this beautiful black Mercedes parked with a sign in the window "Radio Already Stolen". Made me think "Thank God I don't live in this hell hole"!! And, why would anyone in their right mind have a nice car in a city like this. Back in the 1980's NYC was very much a hell hole. Wifey wants to go to NYC for some reason but I can't get out of my mind what it was like when did a lot of traveling there.
It's a hell hole again under the current idiot mayor.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 200,000 km
80 Posts
Thanks. Just a rattle can. It's not a perfect match, but close enough given that it's mostly covered by the bumper extension. There was also a coat of primer and a coat of paintable rubberized rocker guard on both sides to mimic the origional. The top edge is rubbed out to a smooth-enough blend and the bottom edge is hidden by the chin-spoiler.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,093 Posts
Thanks. Just a rattle can. It's not a perfect match, but close enough given that it's mostly covered by the bumper extension. There was also a coat of primer and a coat of paintable rubberized rocker guard on both sides to mimic the origional. The top edge is rubbed out to a smooth-enough blend and the bottom edge is hidden by the chin-spoiler.
Looks great. I need to do the same to mine... someday.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
53 Posts
Replaced my ‘72 350SL’s cracked interior A pillar trim panels with some pretty nice eBay finds and while I had those out I put a dash cap on my badly cracked dashboard. Didn’t think the hardest part would be getting the damn rear view mirror back on. What a pain in the ass, after 38 years the spring and pins were pretty well seized. After trying to push that in for an hour, I cleaned it out, added some grease and pushed the spring in a few dozen times with some pliers to get the motion more fluid. Popped right in easy after that.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
3 Posts
New to this forum, but far from new to the beloved R107, so I feel the, love/pain! Today I pulled out the throttle body housing, cleaned it like a mad man just to have the well known high idle! I'm giving in and going to ghetto rig it just for it to pass a smog inspection since I've had it non op for WAY too long. Last week I came across a 450 at a local pick and pull, so I swooped up the driver side window that I've needed for, oh say.... 7 years. I may go back for the passenger and windshield and just store them since pick and pull 107s are rare, I've learned.
Window in, a bunch of other work that's made no difference, and a wash on a paintjob that needs a complete rehab. I just take my days one part a month, since I can't afford one a day! I will try to smog it and if successful, I'll post how I rig it to pass, otherwise it's just another try.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
3 Posts
Replaced my ‘72 350SL’s cracked interior A pillar trim panels with some pretty nice eBay finds and while I had those out I put a dash cap on my badly cracked dashboard. Didn’t think the hardest part would be getting the damn rear view mirror back on. What a pain in the ass, after 38 years the spring and pins were pretty well seized. After trying to push that in for an hour, I cleaned it out, added some grease and pushed the spring in a few dozen times with some pliers to get the motion more fluid. Popped right in easy after that.

bayareabenz if you need the plastic headlight surround, the Rancho Pick and pull has both sides, already removed and in the trunk as of Sunday. Other trim parts on there too, not in terrible shape.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
53 Posts
I actually have the headlight surrounds in my trunk but it’s pretty rare to find one of these at a pick n pull so I might just head over there anyways. It’s a bit of a drive for me, saying an hour and a half on g maps but I always love any excuse for a drive. If you remember any gems PM me. Thanks for the lead

·
Registered
1988 560SL
3 Posts
Short drive down the road today. Not a big deal but the car hasn’t moved more than 1 ft over the last 4 years. Brakes are next and whatever is leaking gas by the filter/exhaust. Nobody should be surprised to know she ran like normal... as if not parked for so long.

401 - 420 of 447 Posts