Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

381 - 400 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
73 Posts
If you have a model with airbag you’ll have to disable that first (passenger side footwell) and remove it with a long screwdriver from the rear of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, but my 84 doesn't have an airbag.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
504 Posts
Windshield fitted today! This was one of the jobs I was most concerned about, especially the fit of the surround in the corners, as I'd had real problems getting the fenders to fit in that area and get the shut lines correct. I had a local guy (who specializes in classics) fit the windshield, and he did a great job - I couldn't be happier with the result. I've also posted some details on a thread I'd started a year ago with details of a way of fitting the windshield without removing the chrome A-pillar trim and weather strip - I really did NOT want to have to remove and refit those again....

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,432 Posts
I think I broke Samson today. Well at least it appears to be stuck forever with a hard top on for the moment. Other that that took it for a spin AC still works really really good.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
I think I broke Samson today. Well at least it appears to be stuck forever with a hard top on for the moment. Other that that took it for a spin AC still works really really good.

That's always something I dread - not from that it has actually happened to me but from the stories I've read on this forum.

I have a thread where I made a special tool out of a screwdriver - that is if the latch on the right side is the one that won't release.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,032 Posts

Is it the center latch in the back that won't release or all the latches?

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,374 Posts
Had to replace the 10 year old battery on the 280SL, This damn R107 is going to nickel and dime me to death! LOL

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
My 1983 380SL battery will be 17 years old come this July 27.
Advance Auto Autocraft Titanium

Any battery that even comes close to 10 years is exceptional.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
504 Posts
Today didn't start well - sprayed the left hand rocker (sill) with Wurth Stoneguard, and had some kind of reaction (or maybe I laid it on too thick...) either way, it crackled pretty badly, and my attempts to remove it made it even worse. Decided to just let it dry, and then I'll deal with it... :(

So - I then decided to re-install the bulkhead behind the fuel tank, and install the trunk carpets. That went a lot better. I decided that to make it easier to remove the bulkhead int he future I would NOT glue the carpet over the 10 bolts at the top. Instead, I used stainless allen bolts (stainless to avoid rust stain in the carpet). I think it looks pretty neat, and means I don't need to rip the carpet off to get behind there.

I also had to deal with the left hand trim in the trunk. I'm fitting a 560SL carpet set and trim, but the earlier cars have the antenna about 4" further back in the car (I didn't discover that until after I had finished the body work, or I would have moved the hole...), so the 560SL trim won't fit around the antennae body. So., I made a new piece of trim, almost identical to the 560SL piece, but with a 4" longer 'box' for the antenna motor. I made it using thick card (used for framing pictures) and duct tape (!). I covered he back of the card in duct tape to keep the damp out (I noticed the 560SL trim piece is varnished card). I even managed to use the carpet piece from the 560SL carpet kit to cover the new piece of trim, though I needed to cut it in half and insert a small 1" section. Now it's all in place that's almost invisible. I'm pleased with how that turned out as well .

Antennae position in a 450SL is about 4" closer to the back of the car than in a 560SL...

So I made up my own trim piece...

And here it is finished...

·
Registered
1987 300SL
123 Posts
Thanks fixer, I'm about to replace the carpet in my boot/trunk and am also missing the surround around the auto antennae. That gives me some good ideas. I've had two considerations for the bulkhead carpet, velcro it on which is how it is at the moment. It won't be going anywhere with good quality velcro. Or glue the carpet on but leave top and bottom free so the carpet can be pulled back to get to the bulkhead bolts off/on. Nice job!

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
504 Posts
Thanks fixer, I'm about to replace the carpet in my boot/trunk and am also missing the surround around the auto antennae. That gives me some good ideas. I've had two considerations for the bulkhead carpet, velcro it on which is how it is at the moment. It won't be going anywhere with good quality velcro. Or glue the carpet on but leave top and bottom free so the carpet can be pulled back to get to the bulkhead bolts off/on. Nice job!
I considered Velcro, but thought that it would be difficult to keep the top edge of the carpet looking neat. It is wrapped around the top edge of the bulkhead and glued, and then trapped when screwed in. I thought that would look better.

I used Allen head bolts because they didn't catch on the carpet when being tightened. Also, I thought I might put caps on them if I didn't like the look, but now they're fitted I'm happy with them as is.

-Steve

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 560SL
99 Posts
My 560 had a short duration rattle at start up - at 100K miles it was off to the shop. Turns out the guides and chain were fine (previous owner changed) but one tensioner was weak - it got replaced as well as new oilers, head gaskets and an oil change to 20W50 (from 10W30). Now she starts up like she should no rattle or odd noises - just a silky smooth V8 coming to life! When I got home I had two small jobs - nylon grommets for soft top latch and rubber grommet for antenna. Took her for a nice run - when we got home my wife noticed my registration is due this month - so it’s my 1 year anniversary :)

·
Registered
1985 280SL
24 Posts
Coolant flush and fill with new radiator drain plug. Also replaced 4 brake calipers, discs, pads, hoses, and fluid.

381 - 400 of 410 Posts