Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

361 - 380 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Also on the subject of Sunvisors, the plastic clips that secures the ends then to deteriorate. Someone, on this forum again, suggested using a different style clip from a BMW. I installed them on my 560SL and they worked great.
Selection_820.png

Had to drill two more screw holes for the BMW style clips but not a big deal.

Reactions: RaceDiagnostics

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Here is the thread showing how to make 190E sunvisors work:

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,459 Posts
There is another "middle of the road" option - that is using Sunvisors off some 190 Mercedes. @mach4 showed us how to make them work. I have made a set of them too and they are a little different but definitely nice. If I can or someone else can find the thread here, I think you will find it interesting.
Thanks Carl. I do recall the thread that Mach4 posted. I will probably just have existing repaired. Or leave them as is along with the other cosmetic deficiencies that add to the aura of an old car :)

Those BMW clips would be an idea. I don't have to move my visors to the side often, so hasn't been a problem really.

·
Registered
1985 280SL
24 Posts
Got it running for the first time in 15 years or so (I'm new owner). Replaced fuel pump, filter, accumulator, lines, and restored fuel tank. Once fresh gas was flushed up to the distributor it ate up some of the remaining organic deposits and started up after sitting for a few hours. Now has a full tank and fuel system cleaner, hoping to work around replacing distributor and injectors. Issue is it is cutting out when coming to a stop or low rpm (sometimes idle). Not sure if I need the fuel cleaner to do a bit more work, replace components, or I need to do further troubleshooting. Probably a mixture of all 3.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
235 Posts
Today I checked my odometer because yesterday I realized, that the counted distance seemed to be wrong.
And the whole year I'm wondering why my fuel consumtion seems to be so high...
Result: Teeth-loss on the first gear in the odometer-gearbox.
Martin

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,032 Posts
Right after I brought my car home I changed the timing chain. I think I put 10 miles on it. I really don't remember seeing any huge oil leaks before I did the chain. But since the timing chain project I have had leaks - and lately they are getting worse. Since the engine is packed in the car so tightly it is nearly impossible to find the source, so I finally decided to tackle the leaks from the top down - valve cover gaskets first. I started with the right side because it is the easiest one to check. I noticed there was some leakage, but it did appear to be very bad. Saturday I decided to tackle the left side. Taking all of the fuel lines loose that cross the valve cover is a project. I noticed that on the lower front corner the gasket had rolled out of the slot and had the gasket sealing surface not sitting flush with sealing surface. I tried to save the gasket as I did not have a replacement by using some RTV to more or less paste it into the right position. It appears that it stopped the bulk of the leak, but I have a new one on order. I think that I was so concerned with keeping the rear part of the gasket in place as I squeezed it over the rear cam tower that I took my eye off of the front of the gasket and it slipped out of place. Lesson learned - these gaskets are very difficult to install correctly - almost not enough room at the rear to get them in. Unfortunately, I will likely have to do this exercise again soon when the new gasket comes in.

Does anyone have any special tricks for keeping the gaskets in place during installation? I am thinking of using RTV to glue them onto the cover before installing them. :unsure:
Sewing thread.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
25 Posts
New member here, recently purchased a ‘72 350SL that runs pretty good but needs a lot of cosmetic work. The metal is straight and has had the body work done, so while I save up for a paint job (any recommendations for Northern California?), I’m doing some small things.

Today I changed the steering damper and spark plugs. The last two were not fun but it ended up working out and the car runs great!

Been lurking for a few weeks reading a ton on the site and can’t wait to get her painted and the interior issues fixed ( cracked a pillar trim and cracked dashboard). Thanks for all your knowledge!

·
Registered
They breed in my driveway.
1,072 Posts
I've been thinking about putting the dogleg 5 speed behind the 117.

Thinking is a dangerous exercise.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I've been thinking about putting the dogleg 5 speed behind the 117.

Thinking is a dangerous exercise.
This is something I would like to do to my 560SL.
Be nice to have a documented preliminary process on how to accomplish that.
Love to have your thoughts outlined like:

• parts needed
  • where to obtain parts
  • considerations prior to installation
  • installation:
- remove AT transmission
- install pedals
- install manual transmission

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
25 Posts
very nice! what is that paint color? My wife wants a dark blue metallic but i’m trying to convince her to go with something like this

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
504 Posts
very nice! what is that paint color? My wife wants a dark blue metallic but i’m trying to convince her to go with something like this
It's a Subaru color - Atlantic blue pearl, and was chosen by my wife after a year of looking at hundreds of blue cars in parking lots. I think it does really suit the 107 shape (if you check my other posts, there's a few photos of the entire car). Being a pearl, it does look very different under different lighting,

·
Registered
1977 450sl
47 Posts
It is a nice color. I hope you don’t mind copycats. I am partial to a dark blue metallic, like my SWMBO’s Grand Cherokee, but that blue might sway me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
They breed in my driveway.
1,072 Posts
This is something I would like to do to my 560SL.
Be nice to have a documented preliminary process on how to accomplish that.
Love to have your thoughts outlined like:

• parts needed
  • where to obtain parts
  • considerations prior to installation
  • installation:
- remove AT transmission
- install pedals
- install manual transmission
Carl, It's no different to shoving an m120 into a 107 engine bay really.

1. find yourself a 717.450 short input shaft dogleg 5 speed box, with shifter and linkages
2. find yourself a 107 manual pedal box (not easy)
3. be prepared to machine the bellhousing flange off the 5 speed and fabricate a new one with the 722.3 bolt pattern - bearing in mind that you need to be aware of mounting depth, pilot bearing location, clutch type (likely a twin plate due to mounting consideration).
4. Fabricate a flywheel to suit
5. Fabricate a rear transmission crossmember
6. Tailshaft fabrication / alteration (will likely be in the vicinity of 4" longer front due primarily to the difference in transmission length)
7. shifter mounting adaptation and linkage adaptation/modification
8. Reverse light wiring and neutral safety switch wiring
9 Clutch master cruise control switch wiring and wet line from master cyl through firewall.
10. clutch slave hose and remote bleeder.

Or you could make Nobby an offer he can't refuse, and buy the pig.
;)

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
157 Posts
New member here, recently purchased a ‘72 350SL that runs pretty good but needs a lot of cosmetic work. The metal is straight and has had the body work done, so while I save up for a paint job (any recommendations for Northern California?), I’m doing some small things.

Today I changed the steering damper and spark plugs. The last two were not fun but it ended up working out and the car runs great!

Been lurking for a few weeks reading a ton on the site and can’t wait to get her painted and the interior issues fixed ( cracked a pillar trim and cracked dashboard). Thanks for all your knowledge!
Take it out of state for paint!!! The California paint is CRAP! Have it done in Nevada, as they can shoot "real" paint that will look great for years.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
157 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the shops in Reno. There are a few that paint hot rods, as well as one or two that do repaints on classic cars. Remember, Harrah had a BIG car shop for his collection, and some of the people now have their own shops! I just googled and found three that look like they might be good.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
157 Posts
Took my 450 out to a "car show" yesterday! Didn't win anything, but a lot of people liked that it still has factory paint, etc.
Also saw his youngest brother!

361 - 380 of 410 Posts