Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

181 - 200 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6, 300E, Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
916 Posts
I just did the ones on my 85 300D.

I am sure Kent's tool helps, but it is a bit expensive for a one-shot deal. On PP, someone suggested using a cherry pit punch! Something like this:

After trying the one in the tunnel, I decided to remove the lever on the side of the tranny as well as the shifter itself and do them on the bench (Used vice) Went in easily without lube or heat. Many suggested boiling in hot water, especially if doing the shifter bushing up in the tunnel. Silicone spray would no doubt help.
Kent's tool is a bit expensive for a one-shot deal, but I've used it on 4 cars now and have also let Fonzi borrow it. The one up in the tunnel is easy-peasy, it's the other one that isn't fun. The brass clip tool that comes with it is even better though as I've used it on throttle linkage clips, and it looks like it would work on a lot of the rod clips in the R107 soft tops.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
15 Posts
Today I limped, more so revved and lunged, into port. Took the car on it's longest 45min drive. On the way back about a mile away from my work it started to rev at a red light. A little closer it started to lunge and loose power even if I stepped on the gas. I pulled over once and it cut out. After a few minutes I started it up and it was fine for a little while. I got it into the lot and that's when I heard an extremely loud whine from the back. It is the fuel pump making the noise. When I first got it last year it revved at a stop bringing it home. I ordered a new pump so back under to the fuel pack I go.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
82 Posts
Finished installing the fuel/air distributer and getting all the fuel lines reconnected. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a fuel pressure check today and make sure everything is looking good.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
432 Posts
A while since anyone's posted to this thread...I've also been finishing up my motor. This is a '76, but I'm not going for originality. I've removed the cats and EGR, and replaced the manifolds with those from a 73. Still a few more bits and pieces to go before I can start it up again (waiting on a couple of parts, and haven't closed up the A/C system yet), but thought I would share...

And here's the 'before'

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
790 Posts
I looked at it.....

·
Registered
1986 560SL; 2012 E350
110 Posts
A while since anyone's posted to this thread...I've also been finishing up my motor. This is a '76, but I'm not going for originality. I've removed the cats and EGR, and replaced the manifolds with those from a 73. Still a few more bits and pieces to go before I can start it up again (waiting on a couple of parts, and haven't closed up the A/C system yet), but thought I would share...

View attachment 2608118

And here's the 'before'

View attachment 2608119
That's amazing! what did that cost and how long?

·
Registered
1985 380sl
157 Posts
Replaced my heater cover and gasket. The small flap on the passenger side was broken and waiting to fall off. Naturally while I was in there I vacuumed the dust that had accumulated over the years plus I shined everything up. Apparently I had time to kill, as I also polished up the tarnished screws and washers, which are now nice and shiny silver. This project had absolutely no affect on the performance of anything, but now when I pop the hood I can admire how lovely it looks.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
432 Posts
That's amazing! what did that cost and how long?
Thanks!

So far - just over 4 years (though work took me out of state for about 18 months, so really about 2 1/2 years. Prefer not to share the cost, but more than I'd like. I could have bought a good R107 for the money - but that wasn't the point; I was looking for a challenge!!

That said, I've done most of the work myself (except for the paint), and I've spent a LOT of time searching for 'bargains' on Ebay/Craig's List. As I've mentioned a few times, it's definitely not concours, especially in terms of originality. I'm building it for my wife, and she made it clear she wanted it to be a 'driver' and not a garage queen. She's already planning weekend trips!

It's not finished yet though. Apart from the obvious, the interior is restored (but in the basement); front end needs alignment and the grill/bumper/air dam installed. Plus a million small jobs. Hope to have it on the road before next summer.

Also - the motor is the original. I do have a low mileage 'spare' motor, but this one seems to start and run well (despite 250,000 miles), with only a little light smoke so I've decided to put it on the road and see what it's like before replacing it.

I finished up the engine bay tonight, and took the fender protectors off, so here's another photo, showing the big picture!

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
120 Posts
Thanks!

So far - just over 4 years (though work took me out of state for about 18 months, so really about 2 1/2 years. Prefer not to share the cost, but more than I'd like. I could have bought a good R107 for the money - but that wasn't the point; I was looking for a challenge!!

That said, I've done most of the work myself (except for the paint), and I've spent a LOT of time searching for 'bargains' on Ebay/Craig's List. As I've mentioned a few times, it's definitely not concours, especially in terms of originality. I'm building it for my wife, and she made it clear she wanted it to be a 'driver' and not a garage queen. She's already planning weekend trips!

It's not finished yet though. Apart from the obvious, the interior is restored (but in the basement); front end needs alignment and the grill/bumper/air dam installed. Plus a million small jobs. Hope to have it on the road before next summer.

Also - the motor is the original. I do have a low mileage 'spare' motor, but this one seems to start and run well (despite 250,000 miles), with only a little light smoke so I've decided to put it on the road and see what it's like before replacing it.

I finished up the engine bay tonight, and took the fender protectors off, so here's another photo, showing the big picture!

View attachment 2608281
Looks great, and excellent quality pic!

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
432 Posts
Looks great, and excellent quality pic!
Thanks! I've also been following your 15" bundt thread. I've been considering getting a set of those for my 450SL. If you do manage to fit them on the car, I'm definitely interested in seeing some photos. If they don't fit, and your plans re the 113 change, I might even be interested in them (I'm also planning on Michelin tires as well)

-Steve

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
120 Posts
Thanks! I've also been following your 15" bundt thread. I've been considering getting a set of those for my 450SL. If you do manage to fit them on the car, I'm definitely interested in seeing some photos. If they don't fit, and your plans re the 113 change, I might even be interested in them (I'm also planning on Michelin tires as well)

-Steve
Trying to fit them is a December project when I am back in USA. I will update here in due course.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
57 Posts
Trying to fit them is a December project when I am back in USA. I will update here in due course.
Drove it since it was sunshine on Friday and about 14 degrees C. It ran nicely and no tendency to stall when accelerating from a full stop. Seems the car is fixing itself once i started to use pure gasoline without the lead additives that i used before.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Replaced my rear shocks and tightened steering box (half turn left) - both changing my '85 380sl. I solved my hesitation issue at lights (similar to Ed9^) by Seafoam and driving the car daily with some Italian revs for a week. These cars don't like sitting which happened when it was no longer a daily driver for my son who left home almost 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1973 450SL and 2004 SL500
57 Posts
Approaching winter in Minnesota so today I put up the top, took my ‘73 450SL for one last drive for the season, fueled and cleaned her up, and parked her in her new home for the winter. I think that this CarCapsule should do a great job of keeping the car clean, protected, and also mouse-free this winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1981 380SL, 2012 GLK 350, 2008 Corvette, 2002 Nissan Xterra, 1965 Dodge Dart Wagon
245 Posts
I fixed a vacuum leak in the door lock mechanism.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Approaching winter in Minnesota so today I put up the top, took my ‘73 450SL for one last drive for the season, fueled and cleaned her up, and parked her in her new home for the winter. I think that this CarCapsule should do a great job of keeping the car clean, protected, and also mouse-free this winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gonna drive mine this Winter.
Sunny South :)
Like Summer, there are days when the weather is nice and there are days when the car stays inside.

181 - 200 of 248 Posts