Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
821 - 840 of 842 Posts

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,329 Posts
Pulled my instrument cluster out today and sent it to ODO-PRO for repair.

I was in denial...............the dead display/missing pixels on my 2000 E320 instrument panel does bother me a lot. Especially when pulling up to a stop signal with time restricted right turns. It was also annoying not knowing exactly what gear I was in when using the "slap" shifter in the hills.

Service history show cluster was replace once before by dealer under warranty.

Car Photograph Motor vehicle White Light

·
Registered
2001 E430 Sport 2000 E430 1990 300CE
357 Posts

I was in denial...............the dead display/missing pixels on my 2000 E320 instrument panel does bother me a lot. Especially when pulling up to a stop signal with time restricted right turns. It was also annoying not knowing exactly what gear I was in when using the "slap" shifter in the hills.

View attachment 2719267

Good job. Was it complicated?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Good job. Was it complicated?
Pulling out the cluster was easy. I wrapped some heavy gauge steel wire (10 gauge?) around pieces of short PVC pipe. The wire goes thru a drilled hole first. The trick is to rock the cluster left and right while pulling outward. There are two wiring harness on the back. They are disconnected by flipping a locking lever over and then pulling outward.

I sent it out for repair because the cost was reasonable to me. $99 plus postage to them.

Audio equipment Wire Cable Service Jewellery

All fixed .....................forgot to take a "before" picture :)
Speedometer Trip computer Car Odometer Tachometer

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,514 Posts

View attachment 2719267
I lucked out with mine some time ago. Pixel display was almost gone and it turned out to be a dead bulb in the back.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #826 ·
The WIS EPC clone DVD I had would not load onto my newly build Win 10 PC so I dug out my MBUSA Star Disagnostic DVD. [email protected]$% I had to go through at least 5 computers I had laying around to find one with a 32-bit, WinXP environment. I need to find a way to offload all of the data from this restrictive DVD so I won't be a prisoner to it in the future. Once I do, I should just sell this blasted thing. But until I get the WIS EPC disc back up and running, this is a great fallback resource

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,006 Posts
If you have the space, I can set it up so your EPC is on the laptop, no more DVD.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #828 ·
Hell, I would consider paying you for that. I even have a Toshiba XP based laptop with won't even load up my multiplexor anymore. Feel free to PM me. My just completed Windows PC has about 20Tb of storage and I also have Blu-Ray burner. I'll spend the weekend trying to clone this out of production MBUSA disk (again)

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
The WIS EPC clone DVD I had would not load onto my newly build Win 10 PC
I had same problem when I tried to install and run WIS EPC on WIN10. In my case, WIS was obtained via a download rather than from a DVD. But that shouldn't make a difference.

It may have something to do with the VM Player installation. I didn't bother trying to sort that out because I still had EPC running on WIN7 which I can dual boot to on my laptop. Takes an extra few steps, so I often initially go to one of the on-line sites like the ones below. Not VIN specific, but still good for a quick reference.
www.benzcat.com

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,514 Posts
Just learned last night that I can get my HVAC error codes through the panel display on the dash - after hitting some buttons in sequence and rubbing your stomach 3 times CCW.

Was trying to solve a heater problem and my indie friend put his 38 pin reader on a few weeks ago and it showed both the sun sensor and aux pump bad. He said as the pump gets signals from the sun sensor replace that first. Which I did.

So last night at home I got the readout on the control panel and only one error code this time - the aux pump!

Great, I thought. I looked on FCP Euro and a Bosch unit is only $103 (OEM, I "assume" while my friends at the local dealer gave with my discount, $250.

Well, went back to FCP and their software, at least on my 2 desktop browsers, is buggy. (Edge and Brave).

Insist that I log on to my account and couldn't remember my email address used or the password. You would think that once I put in my normal email address used it would either tell me it (a) isn't on file or (b) send me instructions on changing the password.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Nada.

So I gave up for now.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,006 Posts
You would think that once I put in my normal email address used it would either tell me it (a) isn't on file or (b) send me instructions on changing the password.
There's a good reason for that -- very easy for potential phisher scammer to try that and if it says the email account is on file/not on file, then that confirms that the owner of the email has an account with whatever company. Nowadays it just says "We will send a link to the email on file if it is present." That's how the security should be.

You can't open another account? Or search your email for previous FCPeuro orders and find out which email it is? I have 4 different emails (the hazards of being former IT....personal email, work email, government/bank email, and spam email) so I have to do this.

Hell, I would consider paying you for that. I even have a Toshiba XP based laptop with won't even load up my multiplexor anymore. Feel free to PM me. My just completed Windows PC has about 20Tb of storage and I also have Blu-Ray burner. I'll spend the weekend trying to clone this out of production MBUSA disk (again)
No payment necessary. I'll upload my VM EPC to the google drive, and send you a link later. The link will be about 30Gb, and when unpacked should take anywhere between 70 to 90Gb, and you will want to keep the compressed file because if for whatever reason the EPC software on the VM goes weird, stops working, you can just delete the whole VM file and just unzip the compressed file and make it work again. So total space taken up will be about 120Gb.

I have a server in my office with 36Tb of storage (again, hazards of being former IT...) and all the files are on the server. 10gigabit network makes it easy to just open up the VM on the server and stream it locally. I also run VM's on the server and just remote in locally. Saves me from having individual computers, or even having to dual boot, tri-boot or quad-boot....the server has more cores, threads, ram and storage than what I can reasonably assemble. Plus redundant HDDs, redundant PSU, redundant switches, failover UPS, even redundant server. It's nice having access to enterprise level hardware for cheap/free.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,514 Posts
No email was sent to any account it was as if you don’t have your login information on file you’ve lost it for good

i’m pretty sure I knew the right email account and it wasn’t complaining about that so you think it would’ve at least sent something there

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
217 Posts
Today I have taken a-service, changed the petrol pump and petrol filter, I have also changed the oil on the rear axle. The car a 1999w210 E200 Elegance sedan, has got 267000 km on the clock.
Was the petrol pump bad or did you replace it as preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,116 Posts
Waxed and washed Gisela and she looks pretty spiffy. I have a porter cable orbital buffer then use Griots Garage wax and pads to make the job easy

Then I have to wash it for all the wax splatter on the windows and everything. View attachment 2723952
I have to back my SL into the garage and pull my E in forward so I can open the driver side doors

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,514 Posts
I have to back my SL into the garage and pull my E in forward so I can open the driver side doors
i’ve told people my garage really isn’t a two car garage but a one and a half car garage.

I always park the SL on the left and the door opens maybe a quarter of the way against the wall while I slither in and out.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
1 Posts
This thread was created to elicit quick report of TLC or modification not
necessarily worthy of a thread, but simply an opportunity for us to highlight
something, e.g. wash, new shoes, wiper blade, seat conditioner, etc. So, let's
brag or share, folks. :)

I cleaned out my windshield washer tank because the additives in the wash
corroded my sensor and it was reporting 'low fluid' though the tank was full.
A little tooth brushing and flossing did the trick. Natch I've switched to different
fluid. (stay away from RainX orange)
Hi, New member here, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I just purchased a very solid 2000 E430 Sport, California low mileage car, special order by a Bay Area dealership so unusual color combo and options like chrome mono blocks, etc.
I'm the lucky second owner. This is my 12th MB, some brand new, some older and I just love this thing. I'm interested in some mild mods but have some questions if someone would take a little time to guide me. Is just replacing the stock muffler with an E55 unit worth it to get a hint of beefier sound, like the chrome straight pipes. Not that interested in lowering it at this point but is replacing the stock springs with E55 ones worthwhile? Change calipers to AMG ones, etc. Looking for a little advice, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hi, New member here, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I just purchased a very solid 2000 E430 Sport, California low mileage car, special order by a Bay Area dealership so unusual color combo and options like chrome mono blocks, etc.
I'm the lucky second owner. This is my 12th MB, some brand new, some older and I just love this thing. I'm interested in some mild mods but have some questions if someone would take a little time to guide me. Is just replacing the stock muffler with an E55 unit worth it to get a hint of beefier sound, like the chrome straight pipes. Not that interested in lowering it at this point but is replacing the stock springs with E55 ones worthwhile? Change calipers to AMG ones, etc. Looking for a little advice, thanks for any info.
What E430? I don't see any E430................ :whistle:

~J/K

821 - 840 of 842 Posts