Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
801 - 820 of 842 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,513 Posts
In Bend Oregon. On the final leg of my tour. I will have put over 5000 miles on the E4 30. Saw only one other W210 on the drive and that was in Montana a couple of days ago

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,006 Posts
Depth unknown? Wow, they really didn't care much about the lake....

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,513 Posts
@Deplore, in regards to my heater problem: I took it to my shop friend who hooked it up to his Mercedes code reader. Multiple errors on both the aux pump and sun sensor in the dash - he suggested since the pump expects signals from the dash sensor put in a new sensor first (should be in tomorrow) and see what that does.

That 38 pin reader tells you so much more than a simple OBD II reader.

·
7,006 Posts
No, it's likely you have bad pump. Sun sensor might be bad, but it has no correlation with the aux pump, pump can operate without input from sun sensor.

Reactions: wlb50

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,513 Posts
Yep. 5,200 miles! I love being on the road, and enjoyed showing you some of it! Amazing thing is how rare W210s - and Mercedes in General, are outside the west coast. Saw only 1 other 210 in Montana.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As of September 2021 the '98 wagon has 300,400 miles
What was a quiet, strong pulling engine is now making loud clicking noise on starting, smoothes out to a very low background clicking after warming up.
Cause: I had the car checked after April's oil service, and both mechanic and I missed the worn belt. It went out on the road last week, and I drove it 2+ miles hot till I pulled over. Belt was eaten up.

Is it not adjustable-repairable, as my mechanic says?: "just don't run it hard. Only a new engine will change it."

·
7,006 Posts
Could be bad hydraulic lifters.... Involved job, but not difficult to replace.

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,329 Posts
It went out on the road last week, and I drove it 2+ miles hot till I pulled over.

Is it not adjustable-repairable, as my mechanic says?: "just don't run it hard. Only a new engine will change it."
Possibly engine damage from over heating. Driving two miles without coolant circulating especially if engine is already at operating temperature is not good. Internal temperature near piston will be a lot higher than what shows on the temperature gauge.

Depending on the condition of the rest of the car, a new engine may not be cost effective. Drive gently as your mechanic suggested.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Possibly engine damage from over heating. Driving two miles without coolant circulating especially if engine is already at operating temperature is not good. Internal temperature near piston will be a lot higher than what shows on the temperature gauge.

Depending on the condition of the rest of the car, a new engine may not be cost effective. Drive gently as your mechanic suggested.
Thank you - it was at operating temp. Has been garaged, and close to excellent conditioned. I blame --- myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts

What will a excellent engine cost?

·
Registered
22 Posts
As of September 2021 the '98 wagon has 300,400 miles
What was a quiet, strong pulling engine is now making loud clicking noise on starting, smoothes out to a very low background clicking after warming up.
Cause: I had the car checked after April's oil service, and both mechanic and I missed the worn belt. It went out on the road last week, and I drove it 2+ miles hot till I pulled over.

Am not interested in putting in a new engine...
Shop also said the tensioner likely went bad, that they didn't miss the worn belt.
I had no squealing or sign the tensioner was going. How likely is this?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
217 Posts
Thank you. I agree with both points.
You may want to try Liqui Moly MoS2, either the oil treatment product or their excellent motor oil. The MoS2 ingredient helps to lubricate and reduce engine noise, especially hydraulic lifters. Seems to be effective in older Mercedes engines. Cheap vs. lifter replacement...

801 - 820 of 842 Posts