Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
781 - 800 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
Left Butte Montana this morning for red Lodge Montana tonight. Tomorrow going to drive one of the great scenic roads of the country, the Beartooth Highway, into Yellowstone national park.

speed limits in Montana is 80 miles an hour then to get around a car I just tap the throttle and the next thing you know you’re going 100.

Engine seems to be smoother with all of this driving which is now been about 2000 miles.

I found Butte Montana to be fascinated with all of these old mansions of the copper kings

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,279 Posts
You planning on a 48-state tour? You're moving through them quite fast.

Reactions: wlb50

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
You planning on a 48-state tour? You're moving through them quite fast.
Wish I could but no. Although last May I drove a bitch to the Southwest in Louisiana and back from Bowling Green in the Corvette Museum. Drove up pikes Peak.

·
Registered
2009 - CLC Kompressor 1.8 Sports Coupe Evolution
17 Posts
I had a clear coat issue and lost about 70% of miss CLC's hood shine, so I booked her in for date with a perm & manicure, she is also getting new shoes, don’t say nothing but the wife drove the car for a month and during that time I had to get all 4 wheels refurbished three times, not to mention getting the tracking checked, mums the word :)
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
I had a clear coat issue and lost about 70% of miss CLC's hood shine, so I booked her in for date with a perm & manicure, she is also getting new shoes, don’t say nothing but the wife drove the car for a month and during that time I had to get all 4 wheels refurbished three times, not to mention getting the tracking checked, mums the word :) View attachment 2712765
Curb rash? That’s a strange looking W-210 :)

·
Registered
M113 SL500
673 Posts
Curb rash? That’s a strange looking W-210 :)
Until he posted that pic, I had no idea that car even existed. W204 front clip on a W203 coupe body and interior. Sold until 2011? Wow, the rest of the W203 lineup stopped in 2007. Much was made in MB marketing about how the W204 was a return to MB's days of yore as far as engineering and build quality goes, but the CLC shows the W204 was mostly just a rejiggering of the W203.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
In cowboy country for tonight. My E430 spend some hours at the BIG horn battle site, where George Armstrong Custer met his end. I left a red Lodge Montana this morning

Attachments

·
7,279 Posts
If you posted that first photo with no context I would've guessed you were in Texas.

So, Wyoming?

·
Registered
M113 SL500
673 Posts
Changed my plugs. Whoever changed the sparkplugs in my E430's prior ownership failed to properly re-attach ALL the sparkplug wires. Plugged/snapped them back in with the correct tool. One of my old plug's terminal end was snapped off and lodged in the plug wire. That didn't happen from removal. I'm amazed my car never threw any misfire codes or even ran fairly well at all. Low end torque and responsiveness is significantly improved. When buying a used car, a pretty thorough shakedown really should be done. Never know what a prior owner or their idiot mechanic might have flubbed.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
The shop where I go the fellow says whenever he’s changed plugs on an M112 or M113 he automatically just adds new wires.

He’s had enough experience with the old wires and having enough misfires that it’s just easier.

as far as my travels I am in North Dakota today. Went through Wyoming and Montana and going back to Montana again. I have put 3000 miles on the E430.

I wanted to go as far as Kitty Hawk North Carolina but I just can’t drive the miles I used to drive. And I really had to get somewhere seven or 800 miles was doable.
:)

I have discovered something that has been ongoing for years but not really needed in California. My heater doesn’t really work. However I learned last night if you do need heat put the defroster on. At least for a minute before you burn up :)

I suspect going through the archives here it’s that duo valve. I guess that’s taking the place of the mono valve an older Mercedes.

so I’ll take care of that when I get back.

gave the car a well-deserved bath at a car wash in Bismarck North Dakota and Garden compliment on it. Mercedes-Benz are pretty rare here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
The shop where I go the fellow says whenever he’s changed plugs on an M112 or M113 he automatically just adds new wires.

He’s had enough experience with the old wires and having enough misfires that it’s just easier. By the time those plugs get changed those wires are pretty old.

as far as my travels I am in North Dakota today. Went through Wyoming and Montana and going back to Montana again. I have put 3000 miles on the E430.

I wanted to go as far as Kitty Hawk North Carolina but I just can’t drive the miles I used to drive. And I really had to get somewhere seven or 800 miles was doable. That was then :)
:)

now 200 miles to 400 miles and I am ready to find a motel and a beer and steak for dinner.

I have discovered something that has been ongoing for years on the car but not really needed or noticed in California.

My heater doesn’t really work. However I learned last night if you do need heat put the defroster on. At least for a minute before you burn up :)

I suspect going through the archives here it’s that duo valve. I guess that’s taking the place of the mono valve an older Mercedes.

so I’ll take care of that when I get back.

gave the car a well-deserved bath at a car wash in Bismarck North Dakota and got compliment on it.

Mercedes-Benz are pretty rare here.

GADS THIS BENZWORLD SOFTWARE IS BUGGY. WENT TO EDIT THE PREVIOUS POST AND IT MAKES A NEW ONE.

·
7,279 Posts
My heater doesn’t really work. However I learned last night if you do need heat put the defroster on. At least for a minute before you burn up :)
If you have defroster, the duovalve works. More likely the problem is your aux water pump, did you test your heat while driving? If you're at idle, the (mechanical) water pump is not circulating the coolant fast enough, so no heat. But if you're driving with engine over 1500 or 2000 rpm, the water pump is moving the coolant fast enough that the heat starts to work.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,576 Posts
It doesn’t seem to matter whether the RPM is up or down there’s very little heat that comes out of the vents if any. However the defroster works. Thanks for the help!

at this moment I’m in miles city Montana, but last night I was in Dickinson North Dakota. You get the feeling that wind gets high? :)

Attachments

·
7,279 Posts
:LOL:Don't kink shame, It might be some new vogue art installation that we're too plebeian to understand... 🤣

Come 5 years that'll be here in CA and we'll be Principal Skinner....

Cartoon Vertebrate Organ Human Blue

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
219 Posts
Replaced auxiliary water pump today, Pretty easy job actually. Bought new pump, Bosch, from FPC. Took out air filter box, removed 2 10mm bolts holding bracket to fender. Lifted up pump and removed hoses. Used a pair of pliers to open up and slide back the hose clamps. Hardest part was to get the old pump out of the rubber donut/bracket. used a small screwdriver between donut and pump body to gradually slide it out. Then a little grease inside the donut so new pump would install easier. Slid hoses back on and mounted. I replaced the electrical connector as it was pretty badly deteriorated. Turned the key to second position and could feel the pump running. Hoping this will help get more heat during winter months. I'm in Minnesota and last winter had a few -30 days. Could only get luke warm air, not hot from heater even with temp set to high and engine fully warmed up, 80c. Brrrrrr, not fun! Will know if this is the solution in a few months. Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
7,279 Posts
The aux pump doesn't last forever, and you could have heat when revving the engine up. I replaced the aux pump on my E55.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
219 Posts
The aux pump doesn't last forever, and you could have heat when revving the engine up. I replaced the aux pump on my E55.
Yeah, I tried revving it when at operating temp and stationary...didn't help. Winter before last heat worked just fine, but I didn't know if aux pump was working then. Found out it was bad this spring when I bought my Foxwell scanner.

·
7,279 Posts
When I needed heat on my E55, simply driving it on the freeway was enough to work. When I came to stop, the air turned lurkwarm. Given that on freeway the engine is spinning at 2500rpm, that's enough circulation for the coolant to go through the heater core.

781 - 800 of 856 Posts