Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
761 - 780 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took a few days to fix my steering wheel using the leatherique steering wheel kit.
Had a few spots where I was wearing into the leather and lots of cracks. decided to go for a slightly lighter grey for a change in contrast and fixed most of the cracks and all of the very worn patches with crack filler. left some of the cracks for a little more character :wink
Very happy with the final result.
Very nice. My steering wheel is awful. Where might one fine that cover, if u don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
203 Posts
Very nice. My steering wheel is awful. Where might one fine that cover, if u don't mind sharing?
I've used Wheelskins in the past, very high quality if a bit laborious to stitch on. Final result is beautiful.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4M Wagon, 2000 E320 4M Wagon
121 Posts
Our 2001 wagon . . . decided not to start . . .
After both my wife & I spent hours researching possible causes of the car not starting, we decided first to check the K40 relay. It made a distinctive click when the key was turned, which eliminated that as the problem. However, one adjacent wire was frayed to death, so we've identified the culprit and hope it's the only one. Quick work for our mechanic, but beyond my DIY skill set at the moment.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 1998 E320 rwd
66 Posts
I've been balls deep in the engine bay of my 99 E300. I've had the parts since November to replace the fuel hoses, some o-rings/seals, delivery valve reseal, fuel pump shutoff valve (what I suspect was leaking and causing it to lose prime) and while I was in there after I finally got started a couple weeks ago, I figured I'd just go ahead and do the glow plugs. I got all 6 out with no broken ones! And since I had to spray so much penetrant, WD40, atf, acetone carb cleaner, etc down in the glow plug holes, I am finishing up with an oil and filter change today. I might even just get the ecu reflashed and have the egr system removed and cap it off while I'm at it.
I would love to delete the EGR on my 320s and cap themoff. Reflashed? What’s involved with that?

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Just ordered some tires. I was disappointed in the Michelins I had - they still have about 5,000 miles on them (4/32), but I am going on a X Country trip next month. They have 27.000 miles. I was a bit amused that the Michelins are Y Rated - good for sustained 186 mph. Didn't know my E430 could do that.

My tire shop recommended some Continentals, that are V rated. We'll see how they do.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4M Wagon, 2000 E320 4M Wagon
121 Posts
New rubber under the hood; cowl vent seal (which had been missing) and new hood seal behind grille.

Doing what rust abatement I can manage, which has included removing the front bumper to replace a headlight assembly and both fog lights. The long side bolt on the left side sheared off, so I drilled it out to try a bolt extractor. This dislodged the captive nut, which I then soaked in Marvel Mystery Oil, clamped in a vise, and removed the stub of the bolt from the back with vise-grips. Wife got the captive nut back in place.

Need the removable panel for the engine splash guard on the left side, which seems to be made of rocking horse poop. Edit: Splash guard access panels are integral, so short of buying a new splash guard it'll be the duct tape fix.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz E320 W210
4 Posts
Replaced 6 of the 12 spark plugs on my 01 E320 while at lunch today, cleaned up the valve covers and coils as well. Just got the car a few months ago, going through it and doing general maintenance before I shift it into gear but it does fire right up and is in good shape for what I paid. Excited to utilize this forum for the vast knowledge it provides, happy driving all.

View attachment 2697215
Not sure if you did this while you were working on that side of your vehicle, but if you were to clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor with a quality MAS cleaner, you’ll notice an increase in the response when you step on the gas pedal. I just did mine this wknd and was impressed. I thought that my transmission was acting up again for it would struggle and putter while going up hills and trying to pass or enter a highway. A simple thorough cleaning and took it for a test drive and I drove the hill I usually struggle on and it didn’t struggle at all. My transmission may not be acting up after all.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan, 2002 E430 Sedan
86 Posts
2002 E430 with 178k miles

1, Replaced voltage regulator
2. Replaced idler pulley, belt tensioner and serpentine belt
3. Recharged AC with 1 can of 134r
4. Reconnected the hose to the windshield spray nozzle on passenger side.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Drove my E430 up to Shady Cove Oregon on the first leg of a cross-country drive. Got 25 miles to the gallon going about 75

had dinner at a Mexican restaurant sitting on the rogue River

note how low the water is at Lake Shasta

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Only got as far as Portland OR

Car still getting 25 miles to the gallon. Speed limits in Oregon on the interstate are a little bit conservative.

Forr those who need a laugh some funny signs in a Medford bathroom.

complemented a W210 wagon owner at a Portland Chevron station. Told him I don’t think Mercedes makes a bad looking wagon.

He loves his car and says the build quality is amazing.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,426 Posts
That motel was really, REALLY tired of cleaning up the mess. Those signs are savages. Absolutely no mercy at all. :ROFLMAO:

25 mpg is actually really good, IIRC the trip to Portland is full of hillies. Last time I made the trip up there (in a 2016 Lexus RX350....long story) it got 18 mpg. Average is 22-24 on flat ground. Those inclines pretty much killed the mpg. Same with my motorcycle, average is 45 mpg, I got 30-ish...to be fair, I was booking it. The poor bike was struggling, so of course I was wailing on it. Redlining in 4th gear just so I could pass people....uphill....while carrying camping supplies and food...just so I could make it in time for the solar eclipse.

That was fun.

Reactions: wlb50

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
I had met my 95-year-old aunt and my cousin at a restaurant next morning and that’s where those signs were. And I agree with you they were sick of cleaning up after slobs.

years ago my dad had his own small office and my mother was usually kind hearted. A woman walked in just from the street and asked to use the restroom and my mother said certainly.

The woman leaves and later my mother went into the restroom and found out that she had vomited all over the place and never said a thing.

stuff like that would make you cynical.

I can’t drive like I used to.

after a two hour breakfast reminiscing with my aunt and cousin and I got up to Portland from Medford about 1700 and just said the heck with it.

I used to think nothing of nailing 500, 600, and once or twice 800 miles in one drive.

I think 400 is about my limit now.

hope to have some great pictures for you in a couple of days – Yellowstone National Park and the beartooth highway.

this is Highway 212 from Montana to the north entrance of Yellowstone. And 60 miles of it are what Charles Kuralt said is the most scenic road in America.

there is a 5000 foot change in elevation in just those 60 miles and full of magnificent peaks and canyons.

and like my SL last May, my E430 seems to run better now that I really put some miles on it.

I just had some people at the motel room next to me admire it.

not bad for a 21-year-old car with a market value of maybe a few thousand. Not that I would ever sell it for a few thousand :)

:) You don’t need a six-figure car to draw admiring glances!

thanks for telling me about the 25 miles per gallon not being all that bad.

I remember when you could cross the state line from California and get non-ethanol gas and my mileage would go up to about 27 or 28. about 10% increase.

but I guess ethanol is everywhere now.

stay tuned – the good pictures are coming!

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Drove 500 miles today from Portland along the Columbia River and interstate 84 and then up to Coeur d’Alene Idaho

still getting 25 miles to the gallon

car is just purring along

Attachments

·
6,426 Posts
Phew, you're really churning those miles. Yeah, these cars were designed for long drives. I would rather take any car that is 3 years old but has 500k over another similar aged car but has 20k miles....the 500k car has seen less wear than the 20k miles car. The longer you drive, the more carbon burns off, the smoother it runs.

I bet if you downshift to 3rd gear so it sits around 4000-4500 rpm @ 75 for about an hour or so, by the time you stop at a light, it will idle so smoothly that you won't feel it. I felt it with my 97 E320 years ago. Was 3 am, I was on the 5 toward SF bay, and I set the CC @ 110 just for the hell of it. 5th gear @ 4300 rpm for about 30 to 40 mins. By the time I got to the motel, I legitimately could not tell if the car was on or not. I saw the tach at 600, I knew it was on, but I legitimately could not feel it. There was no vibration. It was glass smooth.

It was a mini-italian tune up, and it definitely works. You have the opportunity, so might as well do it. It won't hurt to have the engine at high rpm for extended duration.

Awaiting the yellowstone photos....Love those pics. The last two pics look like 5 freeway. I know you said 84, but they look identical to the plains of despair on the 5, right after the worst smelling farm in the history of farms, and in between all the jesus will save you and vote for water signs.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Yellowstone pictures will probably come tomorrow Deplore. It’s about 500 miles to Billings. That car does love to run though. The cruise control is your friend 😁

having breakfast in Kellogg Idaho

told this woman from Montana last time I was through the speed limit was “safe and reasonable“.

although I remember on I 90 Seeing potholes from the brutal winters and deer by the side was a natural speed governor 😁

The woman said nowdays the speed limit 80 and you’ll get a ticket if you’re going 82 so I will watch my P’s and Q’s

Attachments

·
6,426 Posts
The rear end is better imo. Still good looking car!

761 - 780 of 790 Posts