Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
741 - 760 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,145 Posts
Fixed the rear passenger side window on the 2000. It would not operate with the switch on the door. I pop the switch panel off with a trim tool and discovered that the wire plug was disconnected. It appears that the door lock button rod knocked it off!

Love easy fixes and when parts don't break when removing them from a twenty one years old cars :)

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,145 Posts
Half my pixel display was gone and fearing the worst, decided to replace the 1.3 volt bulbs behind it. Fortunately that seems to have fixed it. Although those bulbs should have lasted more than 3 years, when I replaced all of them.
The pixels goes out because of the back light bulbs? I thought the display connection ribbon was the problem!

·
Registered
Cypress Green 1997 Mercedes E420 Sport
110 Posts
I did a lot for it today,
1. Washed it
2. Waxed It
3. Went to Sonic ( I was hungry after three hours of work )
4. Vacuumed it
5. Cleaned Leather
6. Cleaned steering wheel ( Boy, was it dirty! )
7. Cleaned out storage compartments
8. Fiddled around with radio
9. Went through literature and other things

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
Replaced the passenger side vanity mirror. I was having touble and hoped I didn't break the new mirror clips or visor mount but everything got in OK.

That old plastic is crap.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,400 Posts
The pixels goes out because of the back light bulbs? I thought the display connection ribbon was the problem!
Well, the right half of the display was out so I would say the pixels were gone. But fortunately a new backlight fixed it.

But yes I guess (knock on wood) if you see the whole display minus some pixels here and there it is the ribbon and/or display. I doubt if the actual ribbon would be a problem as it is only a connection.

·
Registered
01 E320 Sedan
13 Posts
Replaced 6 of the 12 spark plugs on my 01 E320 while at lunch today, cleaned up the valve covers and coils as well. Just got the car a few months ago, going through it and doing general maintenance before I shift it into gear but it does fire right up and is in good shape for what I paid. Excited to utilize this forum for the vast knowledge it provides, happy driving all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I took my instrument cluster out and was not having any luck buying a used one they don’t sell new ones so I sent mine out and everything was not working on mine and this guy fixed everything and it works great mine is a 1996 E320 he repaired it fast but the shipping was slow not his fault

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
203 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic, 150,000 miles. New cv axles, new front drive shaft, new lower ball joints, new shock absorbers all around, 4 new tires. Wow. Rides, drives and handles like new. No more vibration, swoopy bumps and hard ride. The old boy is ready for another 150 thousand!
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
01 E320 Sedan
13 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic, 150,000 miles. New cv axles, new front drive shaft, new lower ball joints, new shock absorbers all around, 4 new tires. Wow. Rides, drives and handles like new. No more vibration, swoopy bumps and hard ride. The old boy is ready for another 150 thousand! View attachment 2700816
Wow! Quite the difference I'm sure, super jealous of the 4Matic I've got an 01 RWD silver with blue interior. Run into anything unexpected or tricky on any of that work?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
203 Posts
Front shocks were a bit tricky, had to use a spring compressor and top bolts were difficult to remove. Axles popped out no problem (torn boots on both). Front drive shaft was easy, had a stiff u-joint and worn splines. Job took approx 7 hours.

·
Registered
01 E320 Sedan
13 Posts
Front shocks were a bit tricky, had to use a spring compressor and top bolts were difficult to remove. Axles popped out no problem (torn boots on both). Front drive shaft was easy, had a stiff u-joint and worn splines. Job took approx 7 hours.
Appreciate the info!

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Today we're looking for the yaw sensor on our '98 E320 4Matic wagon with ESP. Wasn't under the back seat, so we're about to take out the front seat. Fun.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4M Wagon, 2000 E320 4M Wagon
121 Posts
Acquired a new wagon last week, a 2000 with just over 97,000. Yesterday, I replaced the windshield cowl seals and fitted a new button to the side mirror control switch, which was missing. Detailed with Aerospace 303, including the sunroof inside & out, which needed a good clean.

The other wagon is in the shop for completion of a brake job. It needed new rear ABS rings (reluctor rings, tone rings), which I ended up ordering from the UK because apparently they're unavailable in the US. Once that's completed, we'll do rust abatement again, starting with the front fenders, as I have to remove the front bumper to replace a headlight assembly & both fog lights.

·
Registered
01 E320 Sedan
13 Posts
Drained and dropped the trans pan this morning bright and early, replaced the filter (clearly needed it) and cleaned the pan. No magnet in mine and didn't have one handy so that's for another day, fluid was pretty worn and it shifted nice the first few miles after new fluid (Valvoline Max Life ATF) and I'm excited to really see what she can do after work.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 1998 E320 rwd
66 Posts
Well, after 2 years of the auxiliary fan not running if my ac was off, several fan modules later with no luck, and it’s consistently sitting at about 3/4 of the way on the cluster gauge, I put in an aftermarket auxiliary fan.
mishimoto 12inch with their relay/hookup kit. Lifetime warranty too!

Florida summer traffic jams are no longer a worry and my AC is just a smidge cooler! Any questions on how to do this, reach out to me. Best 150$ I’ve spent in a long time, and it seems to bedoing its job. Climbs to just below the 3/4 mark after some hot/humid bumper to bumper, but I’m feeling quite confident. Not a radical improvement, but just enough to re-instill my confidence in my 99 Wagon in this crazy heat! My w210 has the single fan set up from factory. My 98 with the dual fans pushing from the front of the condenser does not run as hot as my wagon did/does. Just got sick of it not working after not being able to diagnose it.

·
Registered
99 E300 TD 06 CL55 AMG
29 Posts
I've been balls deep in the engine bay of my 99 E300. I've had the parts since November to replace the fuel hoses, some o-rings/seals, delivery valve reseal, fuel pump shutoff valve (what I suspect was leaking and causing it to lose prime) and while I was in there after I finally got started a couple weeks ago, I figured I'd just go ahead and do the glow plugs. I got all 6 out with no broken ones! And since I had to spray so much penetrant, WD40, atf, acetone carb cleaner, etc down in the glow plug holes, I am finishing up with an oil and filter change today. I might even just get the ecu reflashed and have the egr system removed and cap it off while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1998 e430
496 Posts
replaced bilstein b6's with well over 100k on them... while i'm pretty confident of the part#'s that went in (thanks to the catalog shared here and the o'reilly site - 24-021562 front & 24-100465 rear), i'm less so of the ones that came out. those were about an inch longer in the front and shorter in the rear. old part numbers were no longer visible on the labels...

plowed ahead anyway and about 3 hours later, much of the "sloppiness" in the rear while cornering over bumps is gone. still think there are worn bushings, car's over 280k miles now.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4M Wagon, 2000 E320 4M Wagon
121 Posts
The CD changer in the new-to-us 2000 E320 4M wagon had a stuck magazine. After reading 7 pages of CD changer fixes from the stickies, I gently goosed the magazine with a flat-head screwdriver while pressing the eject button, and voila!

Our 2001 wagon which we've owned for 7 years decided not to start once our mechanic had completed a brake job. Whatever else might be causing it not to start, I need to order a spare key from Mercedes (which I should have done years ago), which happens to involve a game of phone tag.

741 - 760 of 790 Posts