Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

621 - 639 of 639 Posts

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
i fretted having to move the car out of the garage where it was kept ...still under an additional
cover. I would attend to it weekly. It is still under car cover but after a few months outside, there
was car cover residue on the paint. I may pick up one of those portable picnic tents and anchor
with buckets of cement....as well as having the car cover on it

Its a shame for that beauty to not reside in a garage, do you have a car cover for it?

·
Registered
w210 e240 Classic 1998
1 Posts
Hi I'm new here and working on an E240. Was my father's car and now i'm trying to get back in shape!
2 weeks ago replaced the whole suspension! before that I rebuild the 4 brake calipers with new pistons and get powder coated. Got 4 new discs and new brake pads.
Tomorrow going to fix an oil leakage on the right cover of the valve cover

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,841 Posts
Well here’s a good one.
My remote for the E430 was getting less and less range so I thought I would replace the battery

It takes a 2025.

I go to the Walgreens drugstore and pay $8.00 for one

Well something like $7.60.

I notice my 1996 SL 500 uses the same batteries and that is a different security design so you almost have to be on top of the car and pointing at the mirror to open or close it.

found out it takes 2 2025 batteries.

So just for fun I checked Amazon and being on prime just about it everything is free shipping which is pretty amazing

4 of the identical Everready lithium batteries are $5.32.

I just ordered it for July 22 delivery

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
CR2025: my local Home Depot had a 10 pack for $12. fortunately I have other devices which utilize
this size (bike computers, Nissan FOB, etc)

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,841 Posts
CR2025: my local Home Depot had a 10 pack for $12. fortunately I have other devices which utilize
this size (bike computers, Nissan FOB, etc)
These were lithium but still $12 for 10 is a great deal!

$8 for 1 is not ;-) No more Walgreens for me (at least for batteries)

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
955 Posts
guick preventive maintenance: belt, idler, and tensioner replaced. Old belt carried MB logo and p/n, was well stretched. Based upon experience with 1st owner, it's possible it was original . Tensioner appeared fine, idler didn't have much play but had grease leakage and cracks in the plastic on back side.

·
Registered
1982 300SD (340k miles), 1998 E300 Turbo Diesel (331k miles), 1982 300D Turbo (330k miles)
52 Posts
"Lately" is a relative term. My w210 was inoperable for a bit as I was sleeving the motor, doing rings, bearings, head gasket, valve springs, etc. Pretty much everything but pistons, rods, and crank as those measured out fine. Finished that up on the 4th of July. Started all that due to a stumble at idle and random misfires. Much smoother, better milage, and quieter.

Since the engine rebuild I've taken care of rear shocks, got the sunroof working with new retainers and cables, and have done some serious interior cleaning.

As soon as my parts get here I'm doing some climate control work, replacing the voltage regulator, and front shocks.

With 331k miles she's gonna be like new.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,841 Posts
Despite owning this car in the family for 20 years, just discovered something new about it - how to operate the rear foglight. When I got the car from my late father, discovered the super-secret first aid kit on the secret compartment of the rear armrest...

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread was created to elicit quick report of TLC or modification not
necessarily worthy of a thread, but simply an opportunity for us to highlight
something, e.g. wash, new shoes, wiper blade, seat conditioner, etc. So, let's
brag or share, folks. :)

I cleaned out my windshield washer tank because the additives in the wash
corroded my sensor and it was reporting 'low fluid' though the tank was full.
A little tooth brushing and flossing did the trick. Natch I've switched to different
fluid. (stay away from RainX orange)
Having a HUGE problem finding a replacement engine to bolt in to a 2001 e320 4matic wagon.
Love this vehicle and want to keep it original and on the road. Have a line on an engine out of
a solid 2002 e320 4matic sedan with less than 60,000 miles. Will it "bolt In?"

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,343 Posts
Why is that problematic? Just about any M112 3.2L engine fits the car. You will have to swap the upper oil pan from old engine to new engine, but thats about it.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
10 Posts
Replaced the engine air filter today, also vacuumed out the air box since it was a tad dirty.
Easy, easy item but an important one. Not sure when it was last changed, it was a little dirty and some fins were warped and had the Mercedes logo on the side.
Doing an oil change soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean by "Upper Oil Pan"? keep in mind that while I am heavily in M-B, recently had a wonderful 2002 e320 (donated it to NPR), currently have the 2001 e320 wagon (estate) and a 2012 e350 which I do not like. The W210 story is sad very sad story. My wife figured out that the AC was not working and after running the codes I found out the compressor was bad. I ordered a new OEM compressor (from M-B) and then the bracket holding the power steering pump broke. That bracket is part of the timing chain cover (TC) and in the process of changing the TC my mechanic who has worked on three of my M-B's said that the head gasket was bad, which made no sense to me. Keep in mind that I bought this vehicle from a dealer with 101,000 miles (have put 45,000 miles on it to date) and have replaced all of the front suspension, motor and transmission mounts and the electronics in the transmission, all M-B OEM parts. To me the sad part of the story is that the engine in this W210 was perfect, good compression, excellent gas mileage, the only problem was a very small oil leak on the right valve cover. In any event I am now looking to replace the engine and after a number searches have found an engine in a 2002 e320 4matic sedan with less than 60,000 miles on it and it.

·
4,343 Posts
Upper oil pan is shaped because your car is 4matic. Non-4matic have different oil pan, but the basic engine is the same.

If you are local, I have my old engine for sale, but it's high mileage @ 270k. No problems at all, did not consume any oil. But it came out of a RWD car, so you will need upper oil pan from old engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Upper oil pan is shaped because your car is 4matic. Non-4matic have different oil pan, but the basic engine is the same.

If you are local, I have my old engine for sale, but it's high mileage @ 270k. No problems at all, did not consume any oil. But it came out of a RWD car, so you will need upper oil pan from old engine.
Thanks, but both vehicles are 4matic, not RWD. I understand and have seen the "oil pan" but do not understand "upper"

·
4,343 Posts
Because M112 does not have a singular oil pan. It has two. One upper and one lower.

·
4,343 Posts
No, I stand by what I said. Regardless, this shouldn't worry you, since you're getting a 4matic engine anyway.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
10 Posts
Changed the oil in mine for the first time since I've owned it. I miss the convenience of having a body on frame design which offers many points for jack stands! But it went well.
It will probably need a new battery soon. The current one is a Mercedes one from 2003. Fully charged it today, seems to perform fairly well, but will evaluate it over the next week to determine if a replacement is needed. Mercedes dealer says a replacement from them is $185, not bad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Completed:
  • Replaced rear driver's side window regulator
  • Replaced headlamps with new Depo housings
  • Removed sap droplets (rubbing alcohol for the win!)
  • Washed outside with Zaino
  • Treated tires
  • Vacuumed interior
  • Cleaned and treated seats with Zaino leather treatments
  • Installed iOttie Easy One Touch 2 iPhone mount
Things to do:
  • Tint the windows
  • Replace stock head unit with new Pioneer unit for Blue Tooth and iPhone integration
  • Resolve ongoing "lamp out" issue with right rear brake
  • Replace right catalytic converter
  • Resolve ongoing performance issues due to clogged right cat
  • Replace floor mats. Liner has deteriorated and now the black crap is getting everywhere. Anyone have suggestions?
  • Replace dash bulbs and adjust connector to get displays working
I've made good progress the past couple of weeks and still have a fair number of other things to do but she is looking good these days. My wife is getting jealous of all the attention she is getting.
Your list is really similar to mine! Same color too!

621 - 639 of 639 Posts