Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
88 Posts
Oil & Filter Change
Using the Mity Vac I changed oil on my 2000 E320. Used Valvoline 0W40. Also changed oil filter. Used Mann fleece OEM filter. Was cheaper than the paper element filters I had been using. Took about an hour and made no mess. Am getting good at this. During the 16 months I have had the vehicle I have been changing both at 5,000km. This is probably overkill and wasting $$, so have decided in future to change at 10,000km. Vehicle has only done 90,000km and not using any oil.

·
Registered
2002 E320
35 Posts
This morning took our E320 over to a locally owned shop, Theo's Automotive in Peachtree City. The service advisor and Tech looked the car over end to end and performed the requested differential service. It is great to find guys who have in depth knowledge of these vehicles at a local shop. As of now the E320 is caught up on maintenance and I have found a shop I would recommend to any MBZ owner in south metro Atlanta. We consider ourselves fortunate to have located and purchased this well maintained vehicle. Even more so after having a good look underneath with the tech. It will soon turn 86,000 miles and is in excellent condition. Don't overlook the rear end lube flush and fill - we take care of engine and transmission service but often the differential flush and refill with new gear oil is forgotten. A good change interval for most is probably in the 50K-60K miles range.

Fahrvergnügen!

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,716 Posts
Well today I’m driving out and the check engine light goes on.

And I thought the designers are very clever because they have the low fuel light in front of your flashing to direct your attention to that little check engine light off to the right.

I carry a little OBD-2 reader with me and it said large evaporative leak.

I had forgotten to put the gas cap on

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,733 Posts
Detailed engine compartment and cleaned hood vent on 2000 E320. Sorry ....................forgot to take before picture. It was pretty disgusting. Everything was covered with dust and oily grime. New cowl vents should be arriving tomorrow.
20200311_141621.jpg

·
Premium Member
E300
22 Posts
My 1999 E300 has been in the shop for about a month and a half and is finally back in action. The intake valves were not closing on number four cylinder so I pulled the cylinder head off thinking that there was a bad problem. It turned out to be the EGR was staying open too long and coating the intake with junk that after a long time was breaking off and getting stuck between the seat and intake valve. The tops of the pistons were covered with this junk. The valves, seats, and guides were fine. Everything was cleaned and the valves lapped. While it was apart, I replaced every hose that was removed, the oil cooler lines were replaced (one was no longer available, yet Aaxion had a hose and ferrules that fit perfectly), replaced both fuel filters, replaced the transmission filter and fluid, replaced the engine oil and filter, had the computer adjusted for correct EGR operation, evacuated and charged the AC, flushed the cooling system, replaced the fan belt, replaced the fan belt idler pulley with the idler shock/tensioner, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced the coolant overflow tank, replaced the air filter box, replaced the radiator hoses, and other parts. It took about a month and a half to do the job, which included waiting on parts. It took about 10 hours of labor to get the head off and then another 30 to put everything together, including the valve work. There was another couple of hours of adjusting to get all the fluids to the proper level. I probably spent some $2,800.00 in parts. My plan is to drive it past 1,000,000 miles. Currently it has just under 625,000 miles. I bought it new. It has been a good car and has never left me stranded.

·
Registered
2002 E320
35 Posts
dfleck63, don't you wonder how many engines have been prematurely scrapped because of EGR related problems? Since this "gift" was imposed on us 40 years ago, I have lost count of the cars I have either worked on or driven with severe driveability problems caused by a sticking/malfunctioning EGR, including one that almost left my wife and kids stranded on a rail crossing on a rainy night. The EGR and addition of ethanol to our gasoline would just about tie for the most absurd "interventions" in automotive technology in our lifetimes.

I would hope that everyone on this site gets an opportunity to read your post.

Sam

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,733 Posts
dfleck63, don't you wonder how many engines have been prematurely scrapped because of EGR related problems? Since this "gift" was imposed on us 40 years ago, I have lost count of the cars I have either worked on or driven with severe driveability problems caused by a sticking/malfunctioning EGR, including one that almost left my wife and kids stranded on a rail crossing on a rainy night. The EGR and addition of ethanol to our gasoline would just about tie for the most absurd "interventions" in automotive technology in our lifetimes.

I would hope that everyone on this site gets an opportunity to read your post.

Sam
On the same note, I wonder how many W210s were scrapped because of a $12 leaking transmission connector and the owner was told he/she needed a new transmission. These were $40K to $50K cars! That's $60K-$75K in today's dollar.

·
Premium Member
E300
22 Posts
On the same note, I wonder how many W210s were scrapped because of a $12 leaking transmission connector and the owner was told he/she needed a new transmission. These were $40K to $50K cars! That's $60K-$75K in today's dollar.
200,000 miles ago, the EGR valve on the intake pipe started leaking bleeding off the charge from the turbo. It took a bit of work to figure out what was wrong.
Dave

581 - 591 of 591 Posts