Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

561 - 580 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Did you drive the E430? How many miles on it? Any problems? Oil consumption?
Yes - drove it. 110,000 miles on it now. No evidence of any oil consumption during that trip. Had the CEL go on and fortunately I brought my OBD II reader. Loose gas cap. I reset it (imagine being on a trip and having that CEL hang over you?)

Managed to break a plastic bulb holder tryijnkg to get it off (one headlight went out; replaced it with Sylvania SilverStars and the difference was amazing). Then I stupidly wanted to replace the other bulbs (moral - on a trip if it isn't broke don't fix it).

Got the new holder at the dealer. Don't know if I have to splice a wire or it will all plug in so I will let my shop friend deal with it.

Was very happy with the car's performance. got 24-27 mpg.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
70 Posts
Yes - drove it. 110,000 miles on it now. No evidence of any oil consumption during that trip. Had the CEL go on and fortunately I brought my OBD II reader. Loose gas cap. I reset it (imagine being on a trip and having that CEL hang over you?)

Managed to break a plastic bulb holder tryijnkg to get it off (one headlight went out; replaced it with Sylvania SilverStars and the difference was amazing). Then I stupidly wanted to replace the other bulbs (moral - on a trip if it isn't broke don't fix it).

Got the new holder at the dealer. Don't know if I have to splice a wire or it will all plug in so I will let my shop friend deal with it.

Was very happy with the car's performance. got 24-27 mpg. View attachment 2615014 View attachment 2615015 View attachment 2615016 View attachment 2615017 View attachment 2615018
Nice! No oil consumption ang great fuel economy! Ive got same car but with 4magic for these nasty MN winters. Hope my trip to AZ in Feb goes as well!

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
There’s a lot of nice sections of Route 66 you can see down there too. You have to drive off interstate 40 to catch them

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
176 Posts
Ooooh, multiple things done to my baby yesterday. Firstly, my revs would drop a tad below normal idle and then come back up after I revved it up and took my foot off the gas. Removed throttle body to give it a good clean, and found it to be full of gunk. While cleaning around that area, I found a small almost S shaped rubber hose, connecting the EGR valve to I think the intake manifold, that had a crack right as it leaves the EGR valve. As I couldnt get to a spares dealer on the day, I decided to patch it with some Q-Bond as a temp solution. Cleaned everything and put it all back together. No more idle drop issues after that.

Also, removed the fron bonnet vent as it had tones of dust, pine needles and otehr crap in there. Simple process, nothing hectic about it.

Last job for the day was remove valve covers and repalce the rubber gaskets as it had a slight weep. Very happy with everything that I did for the day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did an oil change and air filter change on my 2000 E320 4matic wagon. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I also 3D Printed my own oil filter removal wrench that is modeled to the same specs as the original cast steel one that you can purchase. Happy to say that PetG plastic works just fine for this application.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
I laughed at myself when I read your post, Woobie. I have a metal, snail design oil filter wrench
from my old 1983 Nissan pick up truck. It is too large for the E320 oil filter so what I do is wrap
an old leather belt around the filter, then a shop rag...before slipping the snail wrench over it.
It tightens against the rag and belt just fine - so well that I've been doing it this way for a decade.
Nice to have 3D skills/printer, I'll bet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Raymond! Having the printer and the skills to use it has been very beneficial indeed. In this particular case, the steel tool isn't really that expensive, but being able to make something quickly to get the job done is great, and there is a certain amount of satisfaction derived from being able to solve things like this on your own. I had tried using a belt on the filter housing at first, but this is only the third oil change I've done on the car since owning it, and the first I had done myself. I think the technician that re-installed the housing last time at the lube shop had drastically over-tightened it. The strap wrench I had tried first is kinda narrow, and I was putting so much torque on it that the plastic housing was flexing enough that I was worried I would crack it. Anyway, the tool I printed fits the 14-sided 74.5mm top of the housing very nicely, and worked really well. I'll leave a link to the file that I printed here in case anyone else with a printer wants to give this a go: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1850886
FYI... there are a lot of other Mercedes related goodies on that site as well.

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
176 Posts
I did my oil this weekend, and I forgot to get a socket for this monster. Eventually ended up using a g clamp and two pieces of wood.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
I waxed the license plates and obsessively aligned the latest tab atop the previous tab

then, I opened up an aviation band radio to clean the pots which had been producing
static while dialing the volume or squelch. This is quite normal for old equipment
in which the contacts have oxidized. The stuff that radio geeks love to use is Hosa
D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT. a few squirts and twirls of each pot and the static vanished.

{light bulb} I moved over to the tailights then I proceeded to remove each bulb. I
swabbed every single contact point in each socket, each bulb, as well as the taillight
circuit plate with DeoxIT. we'll see if any rear end induced 'bulb malfunction' alert
reappears.

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
176 Posts
Just started to take off the air filter and belt, going to remove the alternator check out the bearings as its a bit noisy.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,653 Posts
Replaced the right valve cover on my 99' E320 with a used one from Pick & Pull because the EGR cap was leaking. Since I was in there...........replaced all the EGR hoses and spark plugs.

The spark plugs appears to be original with 92,000 miles. Gas mileage has gone up from 17 to 20 mpg on Northern California's special winter blend :)

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
176 Posts
My blower motor wasnt working for a while. Checked fuse 4 and 7 and they seemed fine. Proceeded to loosen the two screws under the glove box to gain access to the blower motor housing and then removed the cover hosuing the blower motor. BUt before I took it all off, i decided to sping the motor by hand and then try the switch again. And guess what, it works. So before you guys go about taking out the motor, just spin it by hand and try it by the switch again. Might just be that it needed a bit of help.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Finally renewed the hi-pitch horn on my 2000 E320 - the horn in front of radiator. Has not worked since I acquired the vehicle a year ago. Replaced it with an original MB horn to maintain the purity - anal? probably. Sounds great, like a real MB, bit like my W124 sounded. Unfortunately have not yet encountered drivers barging into my lane or doing something stupid so that I can give them a blast. I just want to lean on it to let idiots know they are doing wrong and that I am not happy! I guess they are all wisely staying home.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Came out this morning and saw a long trail of fluid coming from my E430. After a moment's scare, saw that it was blue and probably the Windshield Washer container.

Got 2 of those rubber grommets at the dealer thinking there were 2 pumps - got confused with the SL - and there was only 1. Anyone need one?

Funny how those things are fine one day and then let lose the next - to the point most of the gallon of coolant was gone.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,653 Posts
Hard wired my dashcam. It was an easy job. Removed sun visor and A-pillar cover, run wire behind glove box and spliced into light there which is switched. A lot neater than having a wire hanging down to the lighter port!

20200131_124259.jpg
20200131_121026.jpg

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
I had a pair of Hella electric horns NIB which I had planned to put on the
motorcycle. It was raining and I didn't want to jog so I spent the time
exercising in the garage. It changed the frequencies a little: OEM 400
and 480. Hella 300 and 500 so it may be a little more shrill.
hella.JPG

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
176 Posts
Today I replaced the air seal ring around the air intake as it goes onto the TB. Also replaced all the small rubber vacuum pipes around the EGR valve, and that after removing it and cleaning it. Not as difficult to do as people might think. And I never even used a swivel ext :)

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Waxed my E430 - I like the wax from Griot's Garage with my Porter-Cable buffer. I keep making the mistake of putting it on too heavy which makes removal fun.

561 - 580 of 580 Posts