W210 Moderator
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Had a wedding to go to so I brought the car out from beneath the cover and
washed it for the 300 mile drive. The AC was a little weak so I replenished
the R134, trickle charged the battery and set up the GPS gear (Seattle to Vanc
BC). Border guy smiled and said "nice car...great job maintaining it."
Fuel mileage hovered at 28. It's my only automatic transmission so I enjoyed
being able to eat my chick fil a and not bothered with the stick shifting chores.
Nice trip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I travelled from home in NJ to Rochester, NY on Thursday in my 2001 E320. Also drove from Rochester to Niagara Falls and back on Friday. I drove home today.
Total distance covered over the weekend was almost 1000 miles. The average fuel consumption was 28 mpg hauling 4 adults, a toddler with luggage. Went up steep clims doing 75 mph effortlessly.
Not too bad for a 19 year old car.
And she hit 100k miles on this trip.
Cheers guys!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been driving from NH to NJ once or twice a month all year. It's about 700 miles round trip. In my gas mileage thread, I posted about getting 19-22 mpg but found a partially stuck brake caliper was to blame. After fixing that, I still barely managed to get 25 mpg. I'll post about it in that thread at some point.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My kid is a scrapper and he borrowed my "new to me" wagon today to make a run to the metal yard.

He loaded close to 700 pounds in it. Really cool watching the SLS in action when he started the engine. First load since I bought the wagon :thumbsup:

BTW: Clean extruded aluminum is $0.60 a pound here on the west coast! Down side...........clean aluminum is down to .33 cent a pound.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Flushed the brakes on my 1999 E320 with a power bleeder.

After I snugged down the bleeder screws, there was brake fluid oozing from the threads of the bleeder screw on a couple of the calipers:frown

Bad seats? Stripped threads? I've bled brakes many times and this has never happened before!!!

Finally figured it out.............I treated the rubber caps with Aerospace 303 and when I replaced them on the nipples, the air pressure under the caps was forcing the remaining fluid in the bleeder screws out thru the threads:rolleyes:. Drove me crazy trying to figure this one out.

Highly recommend that the reservoir be zip tied down when using a pressure bleeder. It takes 1.5 to 2 bars (~22 to 29 psi) to get things flowing to the rear brakes!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Replaced the left catalytic converters with MB rebuilt ones on my 1999 E320 with only 89,415 miles today. The rear one was rattling so bad, people were turning their heads to see what kind of jalopy was heading their way.

I was really apprehensive about doing this DIY. Exhaust system work almost always mean frozen fasteners. The location of the manifold bolts didn't really inspire me either. Wasn't sure if I could reattach the bolts because of the space constraint.

Well........my fears were unfounded. Things actually went quite smoothly and there was no unanticipated problems (a first!). Reading Kobus' Sticky helped a lot:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1331379-how-replace-r-h-catalytic-converter.html

I also bought wobble extensions & sockets, new nuts and pipe ring seals.

The job took me 3 hours from start to finish even with my OCD. This includes packing the old one (core) for shipment back. Probably can easily be done in two, but my body isn't as flexible as before and my tools magically disappears whenever I set them down :confused:

All the bolts came off easily. I did use my cordless Dewalt impact wrench on the manifold bolts and on the pipe bracket to the frame of the car. This made ALL the difference between an easy job and a frustrating one. I don't think I could of removed those bolts without one.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,238 Posts
If that little dent is where the exhaust pipe passes the rear subframe, then yes that would be it. My little E300 has the same exact dent in the same place.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Replaced the rear driver's side window. The original broke because the door stop mechanism had lost all three of its bolts somehow, making a 5" steel arm swing into the window. The new window glass is now in and the door stop mechanism is secured in place with equivalent bolts. Everything works as it should.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I replaced the secondary air pump on my wagon today. The old one was starting to sound like a jet engine.

It was a very easy job. One bolt and taking no more then ten minutes. Plug and play..........doesn't get any easier than that.

A new Bosch one is over $250. I got one at Pick and Pull for $20 which includes the core charge. They're having a 50% off sale this weekend.
20190831_095340.jpg

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Replaced a failed (original) AC compressor in my 2002 E320 today, along with a new receiver/dryer. Got a reman Mercedes compressor and a Hansa receiver/dryer. Took about 45 minutes to do the compressor and maybe an hour to do the receiver/dryer.

Vacuumed it down, it held 29" for over an hour, vacuumed it some more to make sure all the moisture was out of the system and then dropped in 36 ounces of R134a. It's making ice cubes again.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Just renewed the insurance on mine ;-) Have tried going all the way on FSS; so far over 12,000 miles and another 1,000 to go. oil isn't even really black. About 1/2 liter consumed in total. Never drove a car 13,000 miles without an oil change before.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I've been doing rust repairs on wife's W210. I do this once a year on my old cars. Seems this E320 is getting worse. Couple of perforations at front of driver side wheel well. Took the liner out and things didn't look too great in the front. Rear looked fine, but only because I PORed it a year or two ago.

I thought I only had to do a few exterior touchups but now have a bit more to do! Sanding/wirebrushing surface rust, Then using Rust Converter, Then wash off, then DOM16 (like POR15, but cheaper), then sand, maybe some putty, then primer and finish coat.

It won't be perfect, but it will at least look Ok with no rust showing.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Finally got my garage door openers programed on my W210s!!!!

I bought a new garage door opener several months ago and couldn't program the W210s for some reason. Didn't have any problems before or on my W203.

The solution was to erase the old codes by holding the outer two buttons down until the light starts flashing rapidly AND keeping them down for approximately another 20 seconds until the light goes OFF!

Happy camper again :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Done a Yumling method fluid exchange early September, this summer I changed the idle pulley, belt and belt tensioner, plugs and wires.
Thinking about to get a new head unit with Bluetooth capabilities, shopping at Crutchfield’s website now, don’t want to lose the steering wheel controls thou. Has anyone tried their wiring kit, does it really work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got 4 brand new Michelin tires installed. Will go get inspection done tomorrow. As a result, I also removed my front window tint because, well, it's "illegal." i think I had 25% which I think it's prefect, and I've never been pulled over because of my tint (3 years) but I think I'll just get the lowest legal tint cause it's annoying removing and reapplying every year for inspection.

Finally got my garage door openers programed on my W210s!!!!

I bought a new garage door opener several months ago and couldn't program the W210s for some reason. Didn't have any problems before or on my W203.

The solution was to erase the old codes by holding the outer two buttons down until the light starts flashing rapidly AND keeping them down for approximately another 20 seconds until the light goes OFF!

Happy camper again :)
What year are your vehicles? I've never been able to program mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

521 - 540 of 545 Posts