Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 - Karl; 2000 ML55 AMG - Klaus; 2005 ML350 - Gertraud (daughter's car)
306 Posts
after some semi-serious medical issues mostly resolved, i am not really working on the cars now. so ... last week, mechanic replaced the fuel pump and updated the interior door cards on all 4 doors with replacements from a junkyard donor. Also, fixed the power window motors/gears/whatever for the front doors. then, the alternator died so he is replacing the alternator, power steering pump and reservoir, and oil cooler. thats it on the major to-do list.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here are before / after pictures of Halogen High Beam vs LED - inside bulbs
I posted in #40

I placed my hand on each lens in front of bulbs after leaving on for 10 minutes or so.

Halogen side was almost to hot to handle the LED side was half as warm.

That should translate to longer life for headlamp housing.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I replaced my Passenger side Primary Catalytic converter & Downstream O2 sensor and pipe behind them.

The original one was stolen - cut out with a sawzall, while parked on the side of I-30 due to an oil leak.

Interestingly, I was able to utilize a spare Rear Cat from our w210 wagon, having it welded in place with new O2 sensor & pipe.

Happily, it's back to normal now !

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,729 Posts
I replaced my Passenger side Primary Catalytic converter & Downstream O2 sensor and pipe behind them.

The original one was stolen - cut out with a sawzall, while parked on the side of I-30 due to an oil leak.

Interestingly, I was able to utilize a spare Rear Cat from our w210 wagon, having it welded in place with new O2 sensor & pipe.

Happily, it's back to normal now !
Seriously who the f##k gets under a car to cut out your cats. There is some seriously strange people out there. You must of shit yourself when you started it wondering what has happened. That wouldn’t be an easy thing to do lying on your back cutting that out on the side of the road. I bet your still shaking your head on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
Seriously who the f##k gets under a car to cut out your cats. There is some seriously strange people out there. You must of shit yourself when you started it wondering what has happened. That wouldn’t be an easy thing to do lying on your back cutting that out on the side of the road. I bet your still shaking your head on that one.

This has become an epidemic. Since prices of precious metals went through the roof. Price of rhodium is six time the price of gold. SUV are most vulnerable. Easy to get under. 60 seconds and cats are gone.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
I know two Honda Element owners who've had their cats stolen. I really do not want that happening to me.

As for my ML, last week I painted the calipers and rotor hats and installed Achyboner pads.

This thread should be a sticky as similar ones are in other chassis forums.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,729 Posts
This has become an epidemic. Since prices of precious metals went through the roof. Price of rhodium is six time the price of gold. SUV are most vulnerable. Easy to get under. 60 seconds and cats are gone.
Sounds like some of the idiots over here stealing copper power cables from the train lines. Some haven’t completed the task.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,559 Posts
Sounds like some of the idiots over here stealing copper power cables from the train lines. Some haven’t completed the task.

That has occurred in the US too....There are some pretty gruesome videos cops have taken of nothing left but a pair of SMOKIN' SHOES !!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Witek, I wasn't aware it was epidemic - I thought they were just picking on my poor (temporarily) stricken ML !

But truly when I started the engine to drive onto uhaul Auto transport trailer, I was trying to be quick as engine was hemorrhaging oil.

I was baffled at the sound but chalked it up to the likelihood that a primary Cat had split a weld (again !) somehow, at the very moment the oil leak suddenly sidelined us on I-30 S of Little Rock.

This all happened in a downpour at 35 degrees and I thought "darn it, It'll just have to wait until tomorrow at home for a full inspection back in Texas" hopefully in warmer dry weather.

So next morning at home I poke my head under to 'find' the split weld & to my utter shock the whole R side from just below Fore O2 sensor to just where 2nd Cat should be, totally gone !!!

I'm like, how on earth does your exhaust just Fall Off ?!?

Then I saw the neat 3 cuts made in the pipe & tranny mount support bracket & realized my Cat was Stolen during the Midnite - 5pm period when unattended roadside !

There was even a conscientious Arkansas Trooper keeping watch on the ML for us & he never saw the guy who used the sawzall & his unauthorized 5 Finger Discount to a abscond with the Cat !

I wonder if Cats are theft targets due to their precious metal content, if ceramic ones have the same draw ?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
Yes, it is an epidemic and US is not the only place affected. Hit Google with "catalytic converter theft".

·
Registered
2001 ML430
464 Posts
Right before Thanksgiving 2019 I had my first ever car accident. The ML did not fare well.

I looked around for a replacement and quickly decided to rebuild it. So it came home from the insurance company and I got to work. I am going to do an off road tube bumper kit front and rear, so the bumper cover does not need to be replaced. But the hood, rt. fender, grille, lights, radiator/condenser, radiator support and right headlight bucket do. So the work began.

With the motor fully exposed, and 182k miles on her, I decided to do some other work. Replaced: Water pump, thermostat, belt idler, rebuilt the alternator, Valve cover gaskets, new plugs, vacuum lines, radiator hoses, and some other bits and bobs I am sure I forgot. The last two photos are today.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Speaking of wire (copper) theft !?
Up here, it's the power and utility lines they go for. We are talking LIVE lines....
And they get them and the thousands of households lose power. With all these thefts, not one death yet.

And Porschescum,
The upside? You've got lots of elbow room now for your fixes. :)

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Not as marjor as Porschescum.

But sime real simple stuff on the 350 that took all of 20 minute but on a daily bases was. A PITA.

1. Replaced driver’s side visor catch the old had failed hit a bit bump and the visor would flop out wards. When removing these pull out the square snap flap then push from back of it to rear of car and then hinge it down.

2. Replaced the wind shield wash pump gaskets. Now holds fluid and the damn add fluid light is off.

3. Replaced the aux12 volt outlet passanger side cover. These things never stay on. But in the process of getting it from the pick a part I got a second as a spare.

Best part was the outlet cover and visor retainer was only 1$ the cost of admission to the yard. Plus I also got a fob for my GMC pickup to boot included.?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Replaced leaky front diff pinion seal (small leak but I hate leaks!) and replaced CPS - too many times, randomly, it was cranking without starting. Getting the truck ready for summer vacation season.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts