Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
908 Posts
Great idea to fix that impossible to fix area. I did cut off a bit down to intake, then connected new hose with old portion with clear plastic vacuum tube(MB's own) which held up for a while. I sure hope my mechanic's fix lasts as long as I own this ML.

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
867 Posts
reman rack and pinion
left and right tie rod
power steering hoses (high and low pressure)
wheel alignment.

Rack was leaking badly from input shaft seal.

Job wasn't that difficult, However, good set of tools(including air tools) will make life easier. Will need an extra pair of hands to put back the front differential.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,729 Posts
Well this weekend I stuck some ML63 seats into the old girl. Yes it was a nightmare but sitting in them, it was worth the effort. I used my seat frames and swapped the cushions over. View little adjustments and modifications.

Old 63 seat out of a wreck

Refinished onto my frames

One in the car.

Old 63 frames.
The seat are very close to the same physical size. I didn't feel it was necessary to hook up all the air controls to them. Maybe another weekend. NOT!!

·
Registered
2004 ML350
15 Posts
Replaced front brake pads and rotor. I got the Power Sport Cross Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads Kit on amazon. Took about 45mins to do both sides, including a couple refreshment breaks. I'll keep you posted on how this kit performs. Will do the rear in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,729 Posts
Found out our 2nd set of Catalytic Converters were clogged & had them removed.

Added a nice performance muffler and exhaust tip....now our ML has an exotic V-8 Rumble that can't be ignored:

See here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/2991819-our-ml500-exhaust-project-upgraded-muffler.html

Thanks David

Dave cut that resonator out as well. That was the first thing to go on my exhaust system before I changed the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey Matt:

Thanks for the warning, but I can't, as the muffler is too droning without it.

But exhaust note perfect with it !
(IMHO)

Did yours rust out ?

Mine is rust free, very nice shape.

Cheers - David in East Texas

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Hey Matt:

Thanks for the warning, but I can't, as the muffler is too droning without it.

But exhaust note perfect with it !
(IMHO)

Did yours rust out ?

Mine is rust free, very nice shape.

Fair enough Dave, mine didn’t drone with it gone. My exhaust was in perfect shape as well I just replaced it with a 2 1/2 twin system rite to the back and then built a stainless muffler at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Latest Upgrades....

Well, I finally installed the Rear Coil Over Strut units.

And renewed all the Sway Bar bushings Front & Rear.

Plus, removed the nasty cracked, dead Torsion Bar 'bushing plate' and installed new ones, properly greased.

Boy oh boy, now this hefty lil truck really handles nicely now !

I'd say it riides 30% quieter, the ride height is higher in front by 1" (even F to B) and thus has more travel, which helps as our roads here are quite rough & potholed in spots.

So, it's now very pleasant to travel in & feels good to hit any road regardless of condition.

Plus, almost forgot:

-Totally renewed brakes: TRW Ceramic Disc Pads F & R, with re-surfaced front & new rear Rotors.

Brakes are very strong now & getting better as they bed in.

(Still waiting on MATT in Australia to report on his Stainless Steel Brakes line upgrade & plan to do that, too)

I did do some threads on all / most of these mods this summer.

So, it's been a busy time of ML upgrades.

Hope you all have had success on your upgrades, as well.

·
Registered
2001 E320 - Karl; 2000 ML55 AMG - Klaus; 2005 ML350 - Gertraud (daughter's car)
306 Posts
yay - love this type of thread.

about a month ago sorted out the electric fan problem - bad fan - and replaced it with one from a ML500 in the junkyard.

2 weeks ago replaced the driver door inside liner.

last week, key started 'deteriorating' and got the dealership to get me 2 valet keys.

yesterday, finished replacing the broken driver cupholder with a replacement from the junkyard.

and will not talk about everything we've done recently to my daughter's ML350 ... including installing jump seats from a junkyard donor which included some fancy Dremel work.

will continue to update as i have many little things to do regularly. if someone can send a me a link to how to remove and replace the window regulator/motor/frames ... i have the replacement parts but need some knowledge. LOL !

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
Last week brakes all around on the ML430 and rear brakes on the ML320.

Centric rotors and Wagner pads on both MLs were used.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
908 Posts
Transfer case and both Diffs fluid swapped.
RM European had great price for FUCHS 75W-85 Hypoid Gear Oil Differential Oil (Hypoid Oil) which had MBZ Approval 235.7, not the diffs were old, but feels much smoother after the swap.

Spend $65 for free shipping(received them in two days!).

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
224 Posts
Just picked up a set of OEM chrome wheels from a 2000 ML430. Will post photo when I have them mounted on new tires. I also received my California black and yellow license plates that say "99 ML430" in the mail, but waiting for registration stickers before mounting. I've just about run out of OEM options to add to my ML. Things I'm considering are wheel flares (have to have them painted silver), adding an ML55 hood, and a Lorenser (sp?) air dam on back hatch. I've finally pulled together a pair of front mud guards, but have no idea how to install them. I also have two wood and leather steering wheels (a $1,000 option back in 2000), but the people who got to the ML at the junkyard before me stripped the nut, so I had to cut off the steering column, and now can't figure out how to remove the nut. So both sit in my garage.
I've swapped out/replaced over 50 things on my ML430, including adding many ML55 and 2005 special edition parts.
In my opinion, my ML is gorgeous. I'm actually worried when I drive it, fearing another driver is going to hit it, as the value of it is way less than repairs would be.

·
Registered
306 Posts
this weekend i decided to figure out my A/C blower motor issue. the fan would blow very lightly on speed 1, a little more on speed 2 with a loud vibration, and loud noise with no air on speeds 3 & 4. i had already pulled a nice looking replacement motor from a junkyard vehicle a few weeks ago so i decided to replace it. when i pulled the 'original' motor, it was FULL of leaves and dirt. i was amazed it worked at all. i had thought that perhaps a bearing had worn out. i cleaned it pretty well, and tested it - works fine. pulled the cabin air filter - i think it had small animal bones in it LOL! i cleaned it for about an hour soaking in dishwater detergent and pulling the big junk out by hand. i decided that since the junkyard blower motor was 'clean' when i pulled it that i would change it out. both motors worked the same. now i have mega air blowing - yay !!!

after that was solved i decided to try to replace the AMG bumper which was falling apart. all the videos i have watched say "all W163 bumpers are the same" - WRONG. i had quite a time determining where the attachments were and what would detach the bumper cover from the SUV. after i removed it - it fell into 5 pieces when i removed the final 6 nuts ... i test fitted the replacement bumper from (i think) a 2002 ML320. it fits !! the previous owner painted the bumper covers and fender flares with a 'bedliner' paint ... since i am not repainting the entire vehicle i cleaned it somewhat and started repainting. i need to sand later today and put more paint on it but i will have a complete bumper by this evening. pics may follow if anyone is interested = i don't care.

next up - removed the 'ooo-gah' horn and replace it with standard horn.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
The cabin air filter should probably be replaced not cleaned. They designed one use items.

It sounds like good progress on the bumper.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The cabin air filter should probably be replaced not cleaned. They designed one use items.

It sounds like good progress on the bumper.
yeah cabin air filter(s) ordered - one for me ne for my daughters ML350 ....

·
Registered
306 Posts
finally got around to replacing the POs "ahh-ooh-gah" horn with a standard MB horn.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New LED H7 High Beam Lamps are in / work great

I've just installed new LED H7 High Beam Bulbs.

They're the new 'fanless type' meaning they just have a finned heat sink on the back. 25 Watt each

It's low profile enough, even, that they fit in the oem Hella MB housing with just enough room to close the sealed dust cover.

The set I've used is the Beamtech LED from Amazon. They make them in other bulb types, but for our ML's the Low Beam & High Beam can each take a pair.

They are replacing the H7 Halogens I had - and boy are they brighter & far whiter 6500k pure white, hint of blue.

For now, I have left the HID's in the Low Beam side as they're doing great and a perfect color match to the new LED's.

In fact I like the 'instant on' and brightness of these that I've now got them on both our ML & w210 wagon.

Last spring I ran over a dead deer in our Wagon, doing radiator damage, so I'm stoked about far brighter lights to hopefully provide a larger margin of safety during dark hours.

Oh, by the way to make these fit there is a special adapter ring that is required to adapt to the w163 reflector base.

It also bears mentioning that these LED's are much smaller and less fussy than the HID's to install. Gone are the several cords, boxes & ballasts needed on HID's.

Just a simple lamp & it plugs into stock plug.

If folks request it I can maybe shoot a YouTube video to demonstrate how to do the upgrade.

It is best done by removing the lamp assembly housing and setting it on a bench - mainly to install the adapter ring piece to the reflector base - couldn't really be done in place.

Thankfully the lamp housing assembly is simple to remove.

Anyhow here is the lamps & adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYZHBT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L81BS8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David in East Texas

Attachments

21 - 40 of 55 Posts