Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Looks great Jose, I'm also sorting all the chromes and hoping to buff & polish them one weekend. Did you do yours by hand or machine?

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
486 Posts
Stripped out the other side of the car today and put in the butyle mat.

All back in place.

Next I tackled a defect in the leather seat that was there when I bought them.

Filled with flexible paste.

Then painted with a few coats of flexible paint.

That will do for the time being.
Every time I see your car I am amazed!!

And, this post answers a question I had been thinking of posting - what powered subwoofers will fit under the seats? What do you think of the Kenwood KSC SW11?

-Steve

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
486 Posts
My car finally has a face! bumpers, 560SL airdam and trim all fitted. Also fitted the horns today...

In case anyone is interested, these are the Vietnamese bumpers, which I bought two or three years ago. I'm very pleased with them, though I did use OEM MB side rubbers which I had picked up on eBay a while back. You can tell the rubber surface seems more robust than those that came with the set (though nothing wrong with those - I used the front center one and rears. I also gave them a couple of good coats of rustoleum, and also sprayed all frame work with Fluid Film inside and out before fitting the chrome (stainless) parts, as the paint finish they arrived with was very poor.

Next is to get the fog lights fitted (would have done today, but realized I'd forgotten to paint the brackets), and then onto the interior. I feel I may be on the home stretch!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
That looks great Fixer! Out of curiosity, do you know what material the chrome bumpers are made of - I assume stainless steel that have been chromed?

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
486 Posts
That looks great Fixer! Out of curiosity, do you know what material the chrome bumpers are made of - I assume stainless steel that have been chromed?
The 'shiny' parts are polished (not chromed) stainless steel; the frame & brackets are made of regular mild steel, that was given a very rough coat of mat black. I've read that the stainless is more likely to scratch than the original chromed mild steel, but obviously it's also not going to rust. It arrived in perfect condition, and so far I've not scratched it.

I would comment that if you look at the frame, and at the 'hidden' parts under the stainless you can clearly tell that these are handmade bumpers, rather than mass produced. However, their fit is very good. One thing I did do was purchase a set of stainless hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, screws) from a UK vendor on ebay to replace the hardware that came with them, as I wasn't sure how good the plating would be on the hardware that came with the bumpers. I can strongly recommend that kit as well (if anyone's interested I'll look up their seller name - it's a couple of years ago that I bought them).

-Steve

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Thanks Steve. I rebuilt mine with the new hardware as well - we probably got it off the same UK dude - and defo highly recommended, 99% of mine were not reusable.

Back to the point - the bumpers do look good. I wonder, is there any difference in gloss / shine / color of stainless steel vs chrome? Just this weekend I polished mine, which are original, to a very decent standard but after 40+ years they're not perfect, and rechroming them would cost as much or more as getting a new set like this one - which apparently is chrome-plated steel.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
790 Posts
miko1aj,
The Stainless steel bumpers on my 560SL is the Vietnamese bumpers and side by side when comparing to the V bumpers against my 1972 bumpers the stainless steel bumpers appear to have a slight yellow cast, while the 72 have a slight bluest cast, again compared to my 72 bumpers. The Vietnamese bumpers are also available in chrome as well for a slight extra fee in which I might just buy the 3 rear pieces in chrome as the chrome in the rear is a bit pitted.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
790 Posts
and they say the chrome does have a more shine than the stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Thanks Carl, appreciate your feedback, that's good to know - sounds like good ol' steel + chrome plating is the way to go!

·
Registered
1985 380SL
9 Posts
New shift bushings today. What a difference when all the parts are where they’re supposed to be! I ended up pulling the lever off of the transmission to get the front bushing in, and slit the rear bushing to help install it. A bit of a pain when laying on your back in the driveway, but I’m glad I got it done. Nice day in the northeast for a change, so taking the car for a spin.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,561 Posts
New shift bushings today. What a difference when all the parts are where they’re supposed to be! I ended up pulling the lever off of the transmission to get the front bushing in, and slit the rear bushing to help install it. A bit of a pain when laying on your back in the driveway, but I’m glad I got it done. Nice day in the northeast for a change, so taking the car for a spin.
I did the same a few weeks ago on my 1979 450sl project, and bought a pile of $0.88 bushings to have around. They sure are harder than the $4-5 ones I bought from MB. For the front bushing, I had to do more than slice it. I actually cut a small section of it out in order to squeeze it in there. Better than the nothing that was there before. That car needs to be driven with some high revs. So it’s good to be able to hold first or second now, which I couldn’t really do with a sloppy shifter before.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
9 Posts
I did the same a few weeks ago on my 1979 450sl project, and bought a pile of $0.88 bushings to have around. They sure are harder than the $4-5 ones I bought from MB. For the front bushing, I had to do more than slice it. I actually cut a small section of it out in order to squeeze it in there. Better than the nothing that was there before. That car needs to be driven with some high revs. So it’s good to be able to hold first or second now, which I couldn’t really do with a sloppy shifter before.
I figured I’d try the pliers made by Mercedes Source, and it came with two bushings. Not sure how long their bushings will last, they’re pretty pliable but not so much that they were easy to install.
The pliers didn’t work that well for me. I couldn’t get them situated well for the front bushing, so I removed the lever and pressed the bushing in with a vice while backing it up with a socket. I didn‘t have the strength to squeeze the pliers enough to press the rear bushing all the way in, and so that‘s why I took a small slice out of it. Still, I’m very happy with the tight linkage now!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,561 Posts
I figured I’d try the pliers made by Mercedes Source, and it came with two bushings. Not sure how long their bushings will last, they’re pretty pliable but not so much that they were easy to install.
The pliers didn’t work that well for me. I couldn’t get them situated well for the front bushing, so I removed the lever and pressed the bushing in with a vice while backing it up with a socket. I didn‘t have the strength to squeeze the pliers enough to press the rear bushing all the way in, and so that‘s why I took a small slice out of it. Still, I’m very happy with the tight linkage now!
The guy at my local MB dealership told me about the trick of slicing them, and even said that’s what they do in the service department.

I tried the MercedesSource pliers and couldn’t get them to work for me either.

Now the little wire tool that holds the clips open I pressed me a lot, and I duplicated the one I borrowed with a big nail. I use it with a pair of vice grips on the ground down nail head to be able to use it at multiple angles. I keep it in my tool box with my plethora of modified flat head screwdrivers.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
188 Posts
I took her for a nice drive up the mountain today. I live at 5,016ft elevation and drove to Sandia Peak, NM at 10,378ft. The drive is ~50 miles to the top, which took about an hour fifteen, and she handled it like a champ. I don't get many opportunities to drive in low gear, but on this drive there are a few stretches where it's steep enough to merit the down shift and the ~25mph speed. I kept an eye on the engine temperature sensor the whole way, which never strayed much above the 90-100°F range.

Not a lot of traffic, so on the way down I wanted to see how she handled sharp turns a bit faster than the posted speed limit. Despite the notorious play in the giant steering wheel, turns felt really tight. I kept expecting the rear wheels to skid a little bit but they never let loose their grip. Perhaps a more daring driver could get them to let go.

Basically, I pushed her pretty good -- more than I've done before in the 2+ years since I've been the owner, and she did just great. I think I've had a little cabin fever with the shelter-in-place madness, and this was the perfect way to get out of the house and spend a sunny afternoon.

Of course, since it didn't happen without photos, I've attached the one lousy photo I took. My phone camera has glitched and all photos are blurry, but you can still get a sense that this peak is pretty high.

·
Registered
1974 450 SL
12 Posts
I named it Rocinante. Owning a "classic" is sometimes like tilting at windmills, right? My state doesn't require front license tags, so I'm thinking of a euro style with the name.
Since I bought it Mar 4 it's been a daily driver. I've been blessed with all the essentials working just fine, 'cept a slightly high idle speed. Otherwise, the usual fiddly bits like turn signals on rapid fire.
Peace all, Don Coysodie

·
Registered
1985 380sl
188 Posts
Welcome aboard, Don. After two years I still haven’t decided what to name mine. Wifey calls her my girlfriend.

Also nothing is real here without photos.

·
Registered
1974 450 SL
12 Posts
Welcome aboard, Don. After two years I still haven’t decided what to name mine. Wifey calls her my girlfriend.

Also nothing is real here without photos.
HA!
Our newest dog is named Girlfriend. I'm looking forward to topless rides with her soon.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts