Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
492 Posts
After watching the Mercedes Source Part 10 on shifter bushings, I have been inspired to replace mine. Of course, they really didn't need replacing, as there was nothing left to replace. I had quite a day installing the new bushings. I removed the front bracket and pressed the bushing in fairly easily with a little clamping tool I made. I wanted to use it for the rear one on the car, but it wouldn't fit. I came up with a smaller device to clamp the rear one in, but while trying to screw it all together blindly, I dropped the the bushing and it fell on the floor or somewhere up in car. I looked for it for an hour and never did find it. Finally, thought of putting a section of hose over the linkage pin and it fit pretty snuggly in the rear lever. Put the clip on it and it seems to work pretty well. I guess I invented a poor man's bushing. Not sure how long it will last, but I hope it will last until a new bushing can be obtained. There really is very little room to access that rear one. You can get one hand in pretty easy, but when you put them both in there, I could not get a position to see my hands while laying on my back. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Not buying the $52 dollar tooll!!!

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,792 Posts
Last year I purchased the Bushings and the Tool off Ebay.
$34.99 = tool, $12.36 = bushings + clips

·
Registered
1972 450SL / 129k miles
50 Posts
You have a 1972 107.044 which was originally badged 350SL so that is what most web sites show. There are many theories why but dealers sometimes replaced the badge with 450SL when they came in for service. Beginning with the 1973 model 107.044 models were badged 450SL. True 350SLs are 107.043 Euro models beginning in 1971.

My '73 450SL (build 11/72) uses the same 000 158 26 02 as the '72.
You know my car better than I do.
Checked the door tag and everything you wrote is true.
I have a 107.044.
So now I need to send this back and only look for 1972 350SL engine parts.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
492 Posts
I just noticed that Ebay has two differently shaped shifter bushings available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Automatic-Transmission-Gear-Shifter-Rod-Bushing-for-Mercedes-190-1159920310/163679865853?fits=Model:560SL&hash=item261c148bfd:g:~rIAAOSw5e9c0Udd

and:

Gear Shift Bushing - Floor Shifter For Mercedes R107 W123 W126 300D 450SEL 450SL | eBay

The part numbers are different. Bottom one has Part # 115 267 12 50 and Top one 115 992 03 10. I ordered the Top one first and it must be pressed in. The bottom one is like the one I just ordered, and it looks to be different, in that it may not have to be pressed in?

Has anyone used the bottom one? Does it require pressing in?

·
Registered
1986 560SL
37 Posts
Being somewhat anal - and a “completest” I ordered an SL tool kit off the bay for $90!

It did come with a top latch tool which is cool because I only have one. They seem to go for crazy money on their own.

Is it correct that this tucks in beside the spare - or is there another location?

And yes I realize the tools are mostly crap.

Here it is ....

E60A876F-A5B5-4DBC-99CA-419380C0EAF5.jpeg

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,162 Posts
I just noticed that Ebay has two differently shaped shifter bushings available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Automatic-Transmission-Gear-Shifter-Rod-Bushing-for-Mercedes-190-1159920310/163679865853?fits=Model:560SL&hash=item261c148bfd:g:~rIAAOSw5e9c0Udd

and:

Gear Shift Bushing - Floor Shifter For Mercedes R107 W123 W126 300D 450SEL 450SL | eBay

The part numbers are different. Bottom one has Part # 115 267 12 50 and Top one 115 992 03 10. I ordered the Top one first and it must be pressed in. The bottom one is like the one I just ordered, and it looks to be different, in that it may not have to be pressed in?

Has anyone used the bottom one? Does it require pressing in?
Why are you trusting EBay, it's wrong. 115 267 12 50 is not used on a 560SL and the vehicles it does fit do not use it for the rod bushings. Use the EPC.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,367 Posts
Being somewhat anal - and a “completest” I ordered an SL tool kit off the bay for $90!

It did come with a top latch tool which is cool because I only have one. They seem to go for crazy money on their own.

Is it correct that this tucks in beside the spare - or is there another location?

And yes I realize the tools are mostly crap.

Here it is ....

View attachment 2623997
Mine was behind the panel on the right side of the trunk.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
492 Posts
Why are you trusting EBay, it's wrong. 115 267 12 50 is not used on a 560SL and the vehicles it does fit do not use it for the rod bushings. Use the EPC.
Rowdie, as usual you are correct. EPC says use A 11 599 203 10 , which must be the same as the ones I got with the first order - part # 115 992 03 10. The second one is for a W123 and goes on a different spot. I may be able to send it back? Thanks. I have tried to save the EPC site, but my computer skills are not compatible with my browser.:confused:

·
Registered
1987 300SL
27 Posts
Think I'm about to upend myself under the dash. Both electric windows stopped working
Fuses 3 and 4 are good, as is 12
Relay next

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
492 Posts
After watching the Mercedes Source Part 10 on shifter bushings, I have been inspired to replace mine. Of course, they really didn't need replacing, as there was nothing left to replace. I had quite a day installing the new bushings. I removed the front bracket and pressed the bushing in fairly easily with a little clamping tool I made. I wanted to use it for the rear one on the car, but it wouldn't fit. I came up with a smaller device to clamp the rear one in, but while trying to screw it all together blindly, I dropped the the bushing and it fell on the floor or somewhere up in car. I looked for it for an hour and never did find it. Finally, thought of putting a section of hose over the linkage pin and it fit pretty snuggly in the rear lever. Put the clip on it and it seems to work pretty well. I guess I invented a poor man's bushing. Not sure how long it will last, but I hope it will last until a new bushing can be obtained. There really is very little room to access that rear one. You can get one hand in pretty easy, but when you put them both in there, I could not get a position to see my hands while laying on my back. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Not buying the $52 dollar tooll!!!
After losing the rear bushing trying to install, I purchased another and received Friday. I had made a cryptic tool in order press it into the rear lever, and after I installed it, I discovered there was not enough clearance between the drive shaft and the tool to get a box end wrench on it to hold it from rotating (an open end wrench required two hands -one to hold in place and one operate a 2nd wrench to rotate the bolt). I put it on the second time with a box end wrench on the drive shaft side and pressed it in with the homemade tool. There is still very little room in order use a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten the bolt with one hand, but patience paid off and it finally seated into the lever. Since I value my time at $0 dollars, I am happy with the result. If you value your time at more than $10 per hour I would by the special Mercedes Source tool (although from what I hear that may not be a big time saver??). Below is cryptic tool and wrenches used.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 200,000 km
62 Posts
Last week I replaced the catalytic converter because it had developed a significant rattle. The honeycomb inside had come loose (it was part of an aftermarket replacement system). I replaced it with a Magnaflow #94008 which easily welded into the configuration and I'm happy again. Also replaced the spark plugs (NGK BP5ES) and changed the oil. Now starting on replacing the soft top with lots of help from all the posts on this forum. I'll report my questions and results into that thread.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hi Ken, on the soft top - if you'd consider taking pics along the way and perhaps documenting your story in a separate thread, that would be awesome - it's a job I want to take up one winter. (y) 🚗

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,792 Posts
Hi Ken, on the soft top - if you'd consider taking pics along the way and perhaps documenting your story in a separate thread, that would be awesome - it's a job I want to take up one winter. (y) 🚗
On replacing the soft top, I recommend reading over Nobby's lengthy thread to get an idea what is involved and that might be enough. I read over Nobby's thread and then set up a Television with a DVD player and purchased
the soft top installation DVD which guides you step-by-step through the process. Its pretty easy to pause the
the video, rewind to review again the step, etc. I highly recommend also using that DVD.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Thanks Carl, I didn't realize this topic was already extensively covered - good to know.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Thanks Carl, I didn't realize this topic was already extensively covered - good to know.
We all need help to find information in this vast database of knowledge posted here on BenzWorld.
I've been here a long time and forget what tips and information has been shared here.
I will say that it was the first time I had ever done a soft top and was quite intimidated before I started.
I'm so clutsey that when I wrap Christmas presents my wife and son laugh about it.
Replacing the Soft Top is doable, take your time, and use blankets to keep the glue off the upholstery.

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire. 1973 Euro 450SL
101 Posts
Driving lights, when I got my 73 SL it did not have the fog lamps, I think the left one was damaged at some time, so they just removed the right side. I tried a set of fog lamps but really need driving lights. Could not find any lenses to change out from fog to driving. So I got some NOS all metal driving lights with glass lenses that will handle 100wt H-1 bulbs, mounted the lights Saturday and am triggering the relay off a high beam wire from the right lamp. A late night drive and they really are nice, will use a SLC dome light switch to allow me to control them from the cockpit and will post photos when done.

·
Registered
1978 C107 280
40 Posts
Quickly resprayed the front grill black. Unfortunately, the previous plastic on my grill had gone completely grey. Sprayed some extra heavy duty spray paint - let's see how long it lasts.

Before:
IMG_20200322_173354.jpg

After:
IMG_20200323_212159.jpg

Will send more photos when it's actually back on the car.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,375 Posts
After losing the rear bushing trying to install, I purchased another and received Friday. I had made a cryptic tool in order press it into the rear lever, and after I installed it, I discovered there was not enough clearance between the drive shaft and the tool to get a box end wrench on it to hold it from rotating (an open end wrench required two hands -one to hold in place and one operate a 2nd wrench to rotate the bolt). I put it on the second time with a box end wrench on the drive shaft side and pressed it in with the homemade tool. There is still very little room in order use a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten the bolt with one hand, but patience paid off and it finally seated into the lever. Since I value my time at $0 dollars, I am happy with the result. If you value your time at more than $10 per hour I would by the special Mercedes Source tool (although from what I hear that may not be a big time saver??). Below is cryptic tool and wrenches used.
Next time, just slice the bushing so you can roll it in. That's what the MB dealer told me when I bought the first one fore about $4-5. I figured, "OK, it's cheap enough." Then i started buying them by the dozen from FCP Euro or ECS Tuning for like $0.88 each. I will gladly replace them multiple times as opposed to wresting with one for hours. They roll right in in seconds. I did replicate MercedesSource wire tool though. I measured one I borrowed from a friend and ground a massive nail to the dimmensions and put a vice grip on the ground down nail head. You twist to open the clip, and the clip stays on the nail, same as the MS tool. The little wire fascinated much more then the pliers.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,367 Posts
Hi Miko, Nobby's thread is a must as it contains lots of do's ,don'ts and how to's. You have to go through the whole thread as Nobby and John Roncallo went back and forth a bit.. I read through it all several times and kept referring to it while I did mine. :)

101 - 120 of 136 Posts