Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a good search on here to find out what grade oil you guys putting in your engines. I noticed a few threads posting 0W-40 to 5W-30.

To clear it up I called MB dealer and asked what they use...Dealer said 5W-40, which is not a choice most threads have been talking about?! Double checking the manual it says to, "Use MB 229.5 approved synthetic motor oil: Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40." Also lists other oil brands but I'm looking for Mobil 1.

Manual also gave me this:
"Select oil visc. according to low temp. before next oil change." Texas doesn't get colder than 14 degrees F. The dealer's suggestion vs the manual states 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 are in the same class.

2 Questions:
a) Is it safe to use 5W-30 because it would do me a HUGE favor considering this is the same as my other vehicle and I don't get anything lower than 14 degrees F??

b) Which grade oil do you use and why??

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
A) Dont go 5w-30 the design of this car is the long change intervals. Sometime back Mercedes USA got into a big lawsuit loss because I believe it was using 5w-30 and that weight of synthetic sold here does not hold up as long and is not a true synthetic, USA and Europe have differing standards as to what is considered synthetic USA loosened their standards sometime back with a lawsuit between Mobil and Castol. Any rate after that dealers should be using 0w-40 which is labeled European formula which can hold up to the 10-13k change interval. Obviously its up to you which oil you want to use but I am sure many here will agree for a 229.5 spec'd oil Mobil1 0-40 is the way to go.

B) I use 0w-40 Mobil 1. On the list of 229.5 oil this brand is the most readily available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well said, I appreciate your post!! Will do some research on difference between US and European, never knew that was the case. Thanks

A) Dont go 5w-30 the design of this car is the long change intervals. Sometime back Mercedes USA got into a big lawsuit loss because I believe it was using 5w-30 and that weight of synthetic sold here does not hold up as long and is not a true synthetic, USA and Europe have differing standards as to what is considered synthetic USA loosened their standards sometime back with a lawsuit between Mobil and Castol. Any rate after that dealers should be using 0w-40 which is labeled European formula which can hold up to the 10-13k change interval. Obviously its up to you which oil you want to use but I am sure many here will agree for a 229.5 spec'd oil Mobil1 0-40 is the way to go.

B) I use 0w-40 Mobil 1. On the list of 229.5 oil this brand is the most readily available.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
5W40

As I understand it, Mercedes told their dealers a year or two year ago to put Mobil1 5W40 ESP Formula M (MB spec 229.51) in their bulk tanks and to use it for just about every car on synthetic. They have since changed their minds and currently recommend the "old" Mobil1 0W40 (229.5). Now the 5W40 is only required by the newest BlueTec diesels. 5W40 probably a little better but it's much harder to find by the quart than is 0W40.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I really like how my car runs on the Syntec European Formula 0W30, which is also 229.5 rated. Anything 229.5 rated should work fine, I just buy that brand because I prefer not to give money to ExxonMobil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As I understand it, Mercedes told their dealers a year or two year ago to put Mobil1 5W40 ESP Formula M (MB spec 229.51) in their bulk tanks and to use it for just about every car on synthetic. They have since changed their minds and currently recommend the "old" Mobil1 0W40 (229.5). Now the 5W40 is only required by the newest BlueTec diesels. 5W40 probably a little better but it's much harder to find by the quart than is 0W40.
I Have just done the B service at a MB dealer. They used Mobil 1 5w-40. I had a browse through the service booklet. Back to 2002, as it recorded, the dealer also used Mobil 1 5w-40 for oil changing. Same as the one they use right now. It seems like that MB dealer always use Mobil 5w-40. That was surprising me! I thought they only use Mobil 1 0w-40, because it was the one in the image of Mercedes Ben and Mobil booklet which came with the operator's manual.

The area I live has lots of snow in the winter. Should I change to Mobil 1 0w-40? Or stick with Mobil 1 5w-40?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
According to the chart I posted in the beginning...which I got from the MB Manual, it's okay to use 5W-40 because it is safe to go below -13 degrees F. However I doubt we can tell the long term impact of using 5w-40 or any other versus the 0W-40 the manual calls for on 229.5 unless you have alot of miles on your car. What is the interval when you do your oil changes??????

Something to ponder upon: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx. According to this 0W-40 is obviously recommended but the 5W-40 is not even listed. And 5W-30 is API or ILSAC grade. I can't find the "grade rating" MB manual requires.

Well after my research imma definitely put in 0W-40 per 229.5. The amount of oil loss vs how much of it breaks down and the API specs is enough for me to chose exactly what MB recommends. Besides thinking long term with a short gain is a risk that I'm not willing to take if I plan to keep the car for a long time. Thanks for the info folks....Hope this helps most figure out some uncertainty about oil grade.

-Enjoy-

·
Registered
72 Posts
According to the chart I posted in the beginning...which I got from the MB Manual, it's okay to use 5W-40 because it is safe to go below -13 degrees F. However I doubt we can tell the long term impact of using 5w-40 or any other versus the 0W-40 the manual calls for on 229.5 unless you have alot of miles on your car. What is the interval when you do your oil changes??????

Something to ponder upon: Mobil 1 0W-40. According to this 0W-40 is obviously recommended but the 5W-40 is not even listed. And 5W-30 is API or ILSAC grade. I can't find the "grade rating" MB manual requires.

Well after my research imma definitely put in 0W-40 per 229.5. The amount of oil loss vs how much of it breaks down and the API specs is enough for me to chose exactly what MB recommends. Besides thinking long term with a short gain is a risk that I'm not willing to take if I plan to keep the car for a long time. Thanks for the info folks....Hope this helps most figure out some uncertainty about oil grade.

-Enjoy-
Thanks for sharing!
My car has almost 70K miles(mostly city drive). Oil change every 5K (although the dealer said every 10K) or half year. I didn't find the "grade rating" MB manual requires either. Only the pics showed 0w-40 marked on the bottle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing!
My car has almost 70K miles(mostly city drive). Oil change every 5K (although the dealer said every 10K) or half year. I didn't find the "grade rating" MB manual requires either. Only the pics showed 0w-40 marked on the bottle.
With city driving shouldn't you be able to stick to the 10k interval? You only do short trips, not that much strain to the engine, no harsh climates so it would be safe, or extreme long trips for elongated heat.

I went to Autozone, Pepboys, OReillys, and finally Walmart to get the Mobil1 0w-40 oil. They are all out, at Walmart there was a sign posted below the MOBIL 1 section of oil saying, "Due to Hurricane Ike there is a shortage of Mobil 1 products." :eek: Anyone else have this issue recently? (I'm in TX)

Cool video: HowStuffWorks Videos "Debunking the 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth" (yea yea I know it's GM but still nice to see what BAD oil really looks like)

Good comparison between color and viscosity on how few people visually check to see if oil is bad/good.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Thanks for sharing!
Next time you change the oil, take a sample, get it analyzed. I'm betting you're changing the oil at least twice as often as necessary, spending extra money. Modern oils are really quite good. I put 150k on a VW in the 90s using conventional oil and 7500 mile changes - it is still running perfectly today with over 200k on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
With city driving shouldn't you be able to stick to the 10k interval? You only do short trips, not that much strain to the engine, no harsh climates so it would be safe, or extreme long trips for elongated heat.
No, oil needs to be around 180* to do it's job(s). Not reaching this temperature will actually promote condensation buildup in your crankcase. I would much rather see oil operate at normal temps than run the car for a few minutes and allow it to cool right after.

Next time you change the oil, take a sample, get it analyzed. I'm betting you're changing the oil at least twice as often as necessary, spending extra money. Modern oils are really quite good. I put 150k on a VW in the 90s using conventional oil and 7500 mile changes - it is still running perfectly today with over 200k on it.
I just hit 60k in my car. I had 5k miles on the oil. I took a sample and sent it to Blackstone today. I am getting the normal analysis and TBN to see if extended oil use would be right for me. I'll post the results when I get them back. I also did the transmission and differential and sent samples of those.

The BIGGEST factor for oil changes is the oil getting dirty and the breakdown of additives. Oil never loses it's ability to lubricate. A good filtering system should determine how long you should go between oil changes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
5W-30 is the next unit up (in centistokes) from 0W-40. In other words, one level up in viscosity at cold-start (that's the "W" designation), and one level down at hot temperature. They are not that much different, so either one is fine for a wide range of climates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are not that much different, so either one is fine for a wide range of climates.
I hear ya on that one! Only thing I'm worried about is IF (the big IF) something happens to the engine still under warranty, hypothetically MB can claim the use of any other oil aside from 229.5 is what caused it. For now that's just something not worth taking a risk. Few posts up someone said the dealership is putting in 5W-30 for the last 3 oil changes, my dealer here said 5W-40 in all MB models assuming Mobil1, being inconsistent even between dealerships I'm sticking to the manual until my warranty runs out :D.

Good thread though, nice to see what everyone is putting in their engine - keep up the discussion. Definitely want to see what they get for analysis on the 5k oil change!! phate : who is Blackstone? And by elongated heat what I meant was, as the oil additives break down over time, you are only doing short trips here and there according to what you said. So just in your case having interval change of 9k would not harm anything and the oil + additives will still be efficient rather than a standard 5k oil change spending twice as much.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Definitely want to see what they get for analysis on the 5k oil change!! phate : who is Blackstone? And by elongated heat what I meant was, as the oil additives break down over time, you are only doing short trips here and there according to what you said. So just in your case having interval change of 9k would not harm anything and the oil + additives will still be efficient rather than a standard 5k oil change spending twice as much.
Blackstone? Let me google that for you

I'm interested in seeing the analysis results as well. I suspect TBN is fine and the oil is still good for long service unless there is a serious engine problem. The FSS will reduce change intervals in extreme situations.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good thread though, nice to see what everyone is putting in their engine - keep up the discussion. Definitely want to see what they get for analysis on the 5k oil change!! phate : who is Blackstone? And by elongated heat what I meant was, as the oil additives break down over time, you are only doing short trips here and there according to what you said. So just in your case having interval change of 9k would not harm anything and the oil + additives will still be efficient rather than a standard 5k oil change spending twice as much.
Be on the lookout for a thread early next week about this, the turnaround at Blackstone is supposed to be very good. They should email me the results the same day that the oil(s) are tested.

I'm interested in seeing the analysis results as well. I suspect TBN is fine and the oil is still good for long service unless there is a serious engine problem. The FSS will reduce change intervals in extreme situations.
I look forward to the analysis and I suspect the same things that you do. The reason that I am getting these done is that I autocrossed my car regularly and plan on racing the entire season in 09 (with a few HPDE's, also). That is also my reasoning for the 5K mile oil changes. I have always been very meticulous in preventive maintenance.

Another thing that I should mention is that for the engine oil I switched to Royal Purple 0W-40 as they just started making this a short while back. I will change this at 5k miles and get it tested with the TBN to see if it holds up as well as the Mobil 1. I went with Redline MTL in the trans and Redline synthetic 75W-90 in the differential. The oil in the diff didn't look like it needed to be changed but the trans...I'm really glad that I did that. I didn't like the looks of it. I'll summarize my findings in the Blackstone reports thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
HAHA! I was searching just "Blackstone" and came up with a) Financial equity and b) the muslim object of reverence. But blackstone OIL-see now you got me! :surrender:

.... I autocrossed my car regularly and plan on racing the entire season in 09.
My formula team on campus: Video. We also have track days where the team gets to go drive their own vehicles, usually take 2 of our formula cars with us. After having this car I'm itching for January to take it out there, can't wait!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very cool, is that an SAE car? Those look like a blast to drive.

Here's a couple of vids from this past season in my C230. It's not nearly as fast but I like the looks that i get autocrossing a mercedes (and being extremely competitive in my class ;)

YouTube - 2004 (04.5) Mercedes C230 Kompressor Autocross

YouTube - 2004 (04.5) Mercedes C230 Kompressor Autocross Oct 19

At this point, we should start a thread about autocrossing so that this one can stop being hijacked. If you would like to discuss more, go ahead and start a new one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well personally the thread is about done....we all waiting on the results of the oil analysis!!

SAE yes. They've sucked all the "FUN" out of this and made 90% engineering, which is no biggie. The engine is not built by us that would be the other 10%.

Nice video for ya... I can't wait to take my C230 out. I've been practicing trail braking like crazy to get a feel for it w/o formula. But gave a shot with left and right foot driving maan now that's something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
in my country dgrees reach sometime 40-45-47 C in UAE i use Mobile XHP and i always change it every month , recommended in the summer> in winter very nice 15-18-25 max

1 - 20 of 21 Posts