Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the R - Class just the same as the M - Class except it comes with a 3rd row seat for 6 people?
Is R - Class a SUV? or a mini - VAN?

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
alanchan - 4/6/2005 2:10 PM

Is the R - Class just the same as the M - Class except it comes with a 3rd row seat for 6 people?
Is R - Class a SUV? or a mini - VAN?
It rides lower than the M-class. But it might be categorized as a SUV. Is sleeker than a minivan. Is larger than a station wagon. It's a "Grand Sports Tourer".

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is referred to on my insurance papers as a sports tourer. It would be in the same class as say the Volvo XC90 or some other sort of wagon that is higher off the ground.

·
Registered
'88 300ce, '99 BMW M Roadster, '11 Infiniti G37, '12 MDX (replaced "lemony" R350), '95 Carrera 4
64 Posts
Mini-vans have sliding rear doors. R is NOT a Mini-van!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I get those questions a lot of times but more often the question is - "Is that an SUV or a station wagon?" My insurance categorizes it as a wagon though. So it really is a crossover between an SUV and a station wagon. Basically, it's an SUV for people who don't like SUVs. You got all wheel drive but don't need a ladder to get in. Moreover, you and your passengers aren't thrown out of the seats when driving over bumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts