Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What engine oil do you use in your ML?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The oil change in my ML comes soon. Again I read numerous threads and comments on what brand engine oil people here use and despite the MB approved oil list, some guys claim there is no benefit to the engine from using a branded oil whatsoever, just a waste of money.

When the oil in my ML was changed last time, the mechanic confirmed that the engine was running 'like new' although the car's mileage was around 100K+ and she was almost 7 y.o. to that moment. Don't know if its because of a quality oil or a proper MB dealership service that my ML was getting during all of her life and prior to my ownership :D

anyway, i used Mobil 1 last time and paid a little over £100,- for 10L (which is $200 today and is considered as a rip-off). the reason for Mobil 1 was that i wanted to continue the harmony of using the quality stuff for my ML.

However, how many of you do really follow the MB oil list? If changed within recommended intervals of time or mileage, could an alternative oil (e.g. Costco, Tesco, any other superstore) do the job?

Paying £15 instead of £100 make me want to start the poll and know your opinion :)

Pls vote and share your experience.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
Wow! I can't believe the cost of your oil!!! I use Mobile 1, but it was ~$8 US per quart... x10 quarts = $80 US.

Can you order it for less online?

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bogie said:
Wow! I can't believe the cost of your oil!!! I use Mobile 1, but it was ~$8 US per quart... x10 quarts = $80 US.

Can you order it for less online?
the oils was purchased from the dealer. i even have a receipt for it ;) anyway, i am trying to figure out whether its that bad to use something not like Mobil 1, Shell, etc. and see if the results stays the same for the ML.

ps: if you have a look around the uk sites selling tyres, you will get completely shocked with prices :D

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
0w-40

I called Mercedes about this and they told me 0w-40 Mobil 1 is the one to use but that if it wasnt available I could use different wieghts as long I didnt leave them in the engine for to long. They said it should run for 12k to 15k without another oil change but that they recommend only 10k.

$5. per quart at pepboys, I bought a couple of extra ones.lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML430
89 Posts
I use the AMSOIL Europeon 0W-30 and I change it at 10K. No problems what so ever. If you know anything about the law, a manufacturer can not tell you what brand to use. Only the type and weight. So if you follow those reconmmendations, you should be fine. Use synthetic of course and even though they say you can run 15K-25K. It's cheap insurance to change it sooner. Use your best judgement.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
I use Mobile 1 or Castrol Syntec. Only full synthetic go in my Benzes. I used to use Chevron Supreme in my older 500SEL but I sold it. It had 280,000 miles on it. I sold it to a guy at work and he is still driving it every day so I don't know if synthetic is really that important but I use it because MB reccomends it...

·
Registered
2005 ML500 Special Edition, 2006 C230 Sport
356 Posts
Ow-40 Mobil 1 in the Benz and Castrol full Synt in the Bimmer

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Mobil1 0-W40 Full Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320
33 Posts
As everyone else, Mobil 1 0-40. However, I change every 5k because of the insane traffic, constant road construction (dust), the inability to stay at a constant speed anywhere in the city, the temperature changing everyday and I am at 93K. If you haven't figured it out yet I live in Houston.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,432 Posts
You can stretch the service interval by topping up with at least 1 L of fresh Mobil 1 0W40. If your ML doesn't consume oil, remove 1 L with a Mityvac or similar, drive at least 5 km, then add 1 L or more to the max mark. Don't overfill.

After (at least) a further 5 km, you should have bonus miles/km added to the FSS counter.

It's possible to double the service interval by repeating this procedure. You can save money by changing the oil less frequently. Saving by using lower-grade oil in your ML is not recommended.

·
Registered
2000 W163 ML430 1997 E39 BMW 528i
277 Posts
I use MOBIL1 10W-30 (Green Cap). I change oil ONCE a YEAR or 25k miles!!! I've been doing this since I owned my very first car, a brand new 1990 Acura Integra. I sold that car to a friend and last time I heard (3 months ago), that engine has not sprung a leak yet! He is still using MOBIL1 and changing oil the same interval as I do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts