Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,951 Posts
if the supercharger works and the car runs good, its worth every penny.

Many people here would die for that supercharger!

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,008 Posts
I have one. 300hp at the rear wheels. Bat out of hell! If it was closer I would buy it.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
The kit is actually an old school Mosselman supercharger system. Sadly Mosselman is now defunct, but due to the massive cost of these kits brand new in the '80s and early '90s very few people could justify the cost of purchase, so "yes" they are very rare.

Forced induction is the way to go!

They work well but could definitely benefit from intercooling.
Yasin

·
Registered
13 Fiat 500, 06 Suzuki, 04 MB CLK500C, 02 LR DII, 90 MB 560SEL, 90 MB 560 SEC.
562 Posts
Is that the same kit that's on your car now, MagicBigDaddy?

If it was closer, I would buy it just to have my uncle reverse engineer the kit. He's an ex Westinghouse engineer who runs QC for a company that builds one off parts for aerospace prototypes. Would be cool to see what a limited run of these could be done for... there would be enough guys here that would buy them in a heart beat if priced correctly. Heck, I'd buy two or three myself.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
380 sel
351 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like the W126 oil cooler. A much better mounting position compared to the other I have seen mentioned here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
731 Posts
I know there's a few of us working on cams and fuel systems to squeeze out more horses. Why haven't turbochargers been looked at more heavily? Expense?

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,008 Posts
Mine is a one off copy of that system. Custom intake with a common U.S made blower. Plus a few other minor mods. Air cooled are the lowest cost. Bearings are critical on the air cooled versions.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I would love to have the casting for the hat.

You W126 people are lucky in that you have more room under the hood. Yes, I said "more room".

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,951 Posts
Mine is a one off copy of that system. Custom intake with a common U.S made blower. Plus a few other minor mods. Air cooled are the lowest cost. Bearings are critical on the air cooled versions.
you should let people copy those parts, we can start our own run of supercharger kits!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1985 300E US Champagne, 1978 280SE Euro Milan Brown Metallic, Gen1 1985 500 SEC Euro Paget Red
105 Posts
I know there's a few of us working on cams and fuel systems to squeeze out more horses. Why haven't turbochargers been looked at more heavily? Expense?
Pain in the ass i'd say. You'd need exhaust manifolds fabricated, then you'd have to find a place to wedge a pair of red hot snails, plumb oil pressure to them, then fabricate all the tubes to get the high pressure/hot air to an intercooler, then into the intake. Then depending on how much boost you can dial in, the stock CIS system can't provide the right amount of fuel to keep the mixture right at high rpm/boost levels.
A centrifugal supercharger like this is easy to add, smaller package. I wonder if it needs twin fuel pumps and bigger injectors? Probably just stock fuel delivery, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
731 Posts
Pain in the ass i'd say. You'd need exhaust manifolds fabricated, then you'd have to find a place to wedge a pair of red hot snails, plumb oil pressure to them, then fabricate all the tubes to get the high pressure/hot air to an intercooler, then into the intake. Then depending on how much boost you can dial in, the stock CIS system can't provide the right amount of fuel to keep the mixture right at high rpm/boost levels.
A centrifugal supercharger like this is easy to add, smaller package. I wonder if it needs twin fuel pumps and bigger injectors? Probably just stock fuel delivery, I'm guessing.
I understand. I probably mixed up turbo and super chargers at one point. Thanks!

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
487 Posts
I am not trying to rain on anyone parade but I saw this same ad maybe 1 1/2 years ago... same dealership...
Bob

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I am not trying to rain on anyone parade but I saw this same ad maybe 1 1/2 years ago... same dealership...
Bob
I know, and there's been a past thread or 2 on the same car. Some people just overlook or are selective on what they want to see;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts