Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my SL by hand today, and I got to thinking: what's the attraction to these cars? Why do we buy them, fuss over them, fix them, talk about them?

What's your story? Is your car a total PIA or the realization of a lifelong dream? Big mistake, or do it all over again?

I thought about a poll, but decided that was too clinical. This is a romance story after all. So, bare your innermost feelings here.

(Oh oh, feelings. Rowdie and the other tough guys have left for the hills already.....)

Extra points for rhyming posts.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Pain and suffering only, I am afraid.

It's SWMBOs car due to the deal we made.

Monday at work my ass is draggin

Because I commute in the friggin Volkswagen.

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I love my 107
I've dreamt of it since I was eleven
Fear not of my terrible rhyme
As it is only a matter of time

I spend hours cleaning
Just to see it gleaming
And all that for ten minutes
Cruising down the road in it

It sailed from overseas
Like a mail order bride
But unlike so it never leaves
It asked for another ride

You may have noticed I changed my poetry style
But only because I was distracted by my cars numerous dials
Hidden behind the steering wheel just poking through
It revs in anticipation of where it is going to

It's attractive body lines
Have stood the test of time
its corners and angles
Have made my heart untangle

I fear for the day that I might have to pass it on
Bid it adue or say so long
To see it pass through my gate one more time
Never to see it return
And forget how it's engine would turn

For it would be a day of sadness
For the time that we had shared
Maybe I would see it driving past in the street
and remember the special moments when we would meet

Alas no time soon would we be departing
I'd keep it around as long as my heart is restarting
Enjoying its beautiful sound
That makes my heart pound

Id pass it on to my children
Both happy and proud
For my soul would not be barren
It would be full and sing aloud

To see them enjoying it as I did at such an age
Would let me known that I have turned a page
Knowing it pleases another generation
Would give me a final great sensation

And so ends the tyranny that is my poetry :p a great example of why I did terrible in English
But in all seriousness my car means everything to me, it's a way for me and my dad to connect, a way to meet new people for example through forums like this :)
*Note-I tended to extend into the future years in my rhyming poem :p I'm a long way off having kids.... I hope

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
Romantic

I'm a child of the '50's where movies had real men and real women and real romances. I can picture Cary Grant and Grace Kelly riding their MB convertibles in curves going into Monte Carlo, and other movies that the 107's were in...In 3 weeks I'll be 78 and in my minds eye I'm riding those curves in my 107.

I will probably sell it next year. Will not pass it on to a relative. I would not pass on to my grand children with that much financial burden.

I must say tho that I got more comments and compliments when I had my Studebaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
mine currently means hours on grueling work and lost income. Hopefully once im done with it my opinion will change. Would have been nice to have driven it once before the marathon of work commenced. My fault though, like they say "theres nothing more expensive than a cheap benz"

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I'm a child of the '50's where movies had real men and real women and real romances. I can picture Cary Grant and Grace Kelly riding their MB convertibles in curves going into Monte Carlo, and other movies that the 107's were in...In 3 weeks I'll be 78 and in my minds eye I'm riding those curves in my 107.

I will probably sell it next year. Will not pass it on to a relative. I would not pass on to my grand children with that much financial burden.

I must say tho that I got more comments and compliments when I had my Studebaker.
Well that is an exceptionally cool car!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,540 Posts
Once I had money

Now I have none.

My love for my SL...... that needs regular preventative maintenance, hogs the garage, gets in the way, always seems to be dirty and is hard to sell.....

.....is done.

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
Once I had money

Now I have none.

My love for my SL...... that needs regular preventative maintenance, hogs the garage, gets in the way, always seems to be dirty and is hard to sell.....

.....is done.
Hahaha, am I the only one who still likes his car? Maybe I found one with very low maintenance needs... Although I have to do engine minutes and subframe mounts soon, I'm sure that'll be great fun :/

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Well, I have come to look on the whole thing as an adventure. It isn't the first time in my life that I had a car(s) that had to have work done on it and TLC before it would be the best that it could be. My first real muscle car was a lot of work, sort of and a lot of maintenance due to the beatings I gave it.

I never owned a convertible before but I always kind of wanted one. My mom had a 59 Ford hard top convertible that was pretty cool--people loved watching it go up and down and it was already five years old when I came to think about it.

The whole thing wasn't my idea anyway--it was my daughter's. And it was literally an accident that we ended up with two of them. But I probably would have gone looking for one for myself anyway--because I have kinda sorta fallen in love with the things. Last time I had so much fun with a car, it was a Porsche that gave me the joy.

But I like putzing with mechanical things and I like learning how they work--it's in my nature and in my genes. I feel good when I make something work again and I feel good when I drive it and it feels good. God made women for men, but Mr. Benz made cars for man's other side. A beautiful car is akin to a beautiful horse and both are in our blood by nature.

I just love driving around in an open air car. You really feel like your driving--don't you? And being me, I just couldn't have an ordinary one.

·
29,540 Posts
Maybe I found one with very low maintenance needs...
Preventative maintenance costs money.....
So does taking a 30 year old car on 7500 mile trips, Sonny.

:):)

·
Registered
300sl 1987
749 Posts
A hobby, a car, a way to learn mechanics, a money to satisfaction conversion tool, a social thingy with the club, a way to meet nice people, a project, something to think about on a boring bus ride, something you wear in style, an obsession...

what else?

·
Registered
1960 280
409 Posts
My Dream Car

Born in India in the 70's...this was my one and only die cast car that my dad bought for me. the die cast cost him 15% of his salary and i still have it...i always wanted to have this model ...
so 30 years later....
i finally got it. i love it. it costs money but i knew it. i feel like i am 12 when i drive it...

i am probably going to keep it till the last day i live...

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,484 Posts
Born in India in the 70's...this was my one and only die cast car that my dad bought for me. the die cast cost him 15% of his salary and i still have it...i always wanted to have this model ...
so 30 years later....
i finally got it. i love it. it costs money but i knew it. i feel like i am 12 when i drive it...

Very nice story. We will be here to help you keep it going.

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,058 Posts

Chris,

Your 107 on those two GTGs has racked up more smiles per mile for you than most of us will ever achieve. I aspire to the level of enjoyment your SL has, no doubt, given to you. Plus, having your dad as your co-pilot - how does one top that (pun intended)?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts

Yeh, I'm beginning to think I should start saving some extra money for preventative work, and I wish I could take my car on a 7500 mile trip, I'd love it :D

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1981 380SL
256 Posts
so 30 years later....

You had (have, hopefully?) a great Dad.

·
29,540 Posts
Chris,

Your 107 on those two GTGs has racked up more smiles per mile for you than most of us will ever achieve. I aspire to the level of enjoyment your SL has, no doubt, given to you. Plus, having your dad as your co-pilot - how does one top that (pun intended)?

Cheers,
Not forgetting the SC GTG in 2010.

I know Charles...no complaints here. I've had great fun with the Battle Pig.

More importantly, I've met some great people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts