Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry i can't find any batteries so i can't take a picture so i drew one :D please don't make fun of my drawing... but please do tell me what this light means and tell me how to fix it... please!

Attachments

·
Registered
E320
153 Posts
EJECT! J/k
It means exterior lamp failure. You have a bum bulb somewhere. If your t/signal indicator flashes more quickly than normal, it's one of those bulbs.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, could that be a cause of a "bum" right brake light? because my third fuse always blows.. you can check my other topic to read about it.. could that be a cause? ill check turn signal lights too

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
W124 tail lights go out all the time. it doesn't help that there are several in there. check them all out with the help of someone.

·
Registered
SLK E320CDI, GX470
44 Posts
My 88 e had the same light go on....checked out all the tail lights, front lights, everything ok....it was the 3rd brake light in the rear window that was out...my glass is limo tinted, so it was very difficult to know it was malfunctioning.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,191 Posts
Hi there,

You can narrow the diagnosis a bit pretty easily.

Refrain from having your foot on the brake pedal during the first part of this short test.

When you first turn on the ign. all the warning lamps will light as a 'bulb check' before the engine is started. As soon as the engine starts they all go out. Leave engine running & trans. in P, for now.

If a park lamp or taillight is out, as soon as you turn on the parking lamps that warning lamp will come on and stay on while the circuit is energized. A walk around the car will tell you which is out.

If the bulb remains unlit (engine running), then comes on when the headlights are turned on..... headlamp bulb.

OK so far? With the engine running, put your foot on the brake. If the warning lamp comes on there you go, it is one of them. Also, the thing about the bulb failure light & brake lights is different than the other circuits. If a brake lamp bulb has failed the lamp REMAINS LIT, even with your foot OFF the brake pedal.

When you shut off the ignition the bulb failure circuit resets itself.

So, if that bulb light stays on during the day (no lights on), one of the brake lights is out. Been there with my 126.

[:)] MBL

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow,thanks very much. very informative. i will try this right when i get out of school today.... reminds me.. i gotta get a parking permit.... well thanks. hopefully its just the brake light that went out... thats what i think it is...

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm ok, well the right brake light was out and i went to go replace the left so it would be an even replacement . and when i get there..the brake bulb is loose like where it goes in.. in its socket.. so i put a new one in and it doesn't lock in place.... it stays loose and moves around. it made contact a while but then i checked to see if it stuck and it was still loose. i checked the brake by the help of my mom and light ddn't turn on... ideas????

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,191 Posts
Sounds as if the tail lamp assembly needs replacement as that socket, from what you say, appears to be bad/gonzo.

MBL

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the first one that i talked about was the passenger side one.. the one with the loose bulb... i think i know why... is the drivers side one

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Take the whole bulb assembly piece out of the car!There is a plug you have to unplug at the bottom of the bulb tray! When you have this out, you can carefully take apart the metal bracket and slowly bend all the contacts upwards a little(try not to break the plastic piece)...If done carefully, your bulbs will stay snug in place!!
Good luck,
Spiros

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts