Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 560 SL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does that switch behind the gas pedal do? Pin it and something happens.Thanks for the reply..

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
RE: What does that switch behind the gas pedal do? Pin it and something happens.Thanks for the reply

It's the kickdown switch. It shifts the transmission one gear lower if you floor it and certain other conditions are met.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
RE: What does that switch behind the gas pedal do? Pin it and something happens.Thanks for the reply

1. That you are not in first already.
2. That you are not at the top RPM cutoff (the power to the kickdown switch is provided by the engine controller which looks at RPM)

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts

strife2 - 3/28/2005 11:30 PM

1. That you are not in first already.
2. That you are not at the top RPM cutoff (the power to the kickdown switch is provided by the engine controller which looks at RPM)
Maybe that's whats wrong with mine. I replaced the kick down switch and it still doesn't kick down when I goose it. Where is the engine controller located? Is it a big job to replace it?

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,864 Posts

Well, on my "not tweaked" Euro 80' 450SLC (3 gears)the switch is connected only to solenoid valve on gearbox and it works like this:
1. if in "D" position, will shift one or two gear(s) down and will rev the engine up to 4000rpm before it will shift up
2. if in "S" position, it will go from 2nd to 1st up to 5000rpm than will do the 2nd as much as distributor arm cut-off swich allows.

The switch may also activate vacuum switch on warm-up governor vacuum lines to have additional full throttle enrichment (someone elses oppinion).

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts

I doubt if it's the controller. The other possibility is to see if it's the solenoid in the transmission (unpleasant job, but doable). I had a very strange problem with mine; it didn't work, I found a blown fuse, replaced it, and it blew the next time I used it (switched to B). Reason: the solenoid wire was caught inbetween the transmission and transmission pan (actually done by a dealer mechanic!!).

Seriously, if you have +12 on one side of the switch at idle, the controller is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts