Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Somewhere along the way, the "light" part of the description was forgotten! Dinoman

·
Registered
Several MB's
352 Posts
Dinoman said:
Somewhere along the way, the "light" part of the description was forgotten! Dinoman
It started in 1963 with the introduction of the W113 the 230SL. While not a heavyweight, it started to get the middle age spread. This increased with the 380SL up to the 560SL. The R129 from 1990 to 2002 continued the trend and then the R230 the current model became absolutely obese. While I love the current styling, I think the model designation should be SF500, SF550, SF55,SF65, etc with the F standing for fett in German---fat in English.

·
Registered
2015 S550, 2014 ML350
45 Posts
According to Mercedes, the ML designation doesn't really mean anything, unlike the earlier SL. Even the new RL and GL are only model designators. Oh for the good old days, when SEL meant Sonderklasse Einspritzen Lang.....Superclass, fuel injected, long wheelbase

·
Registered
10 Posts
lenb said:
According to Mercedes, the ML designation doesn't really mean anything, unlike the earlier SL. Even the new RL and GL are only model designators. Oh for the good old days, when SEL meant Sonderklasse Einspritzen Lang.....Superclass, fuel injected, long wheelbase
Actually the ML should have been named simply "M-class", but after a legal conflict between Mercedes and BMW, Mercedes decided to simply add the "L", because it sounded familiar.

But bottomline is: The M and the L don't mean anything other than just a generic model description.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Sharkster said:
Actually the ML should have been named simply "M-class",
It is called the M-Class. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
asianml said:
It is called the M-Class. :confused:
Yep... in the brochures. But you don't see that naming outside of them, while the SL-class is called SL-class (obviously not S-class) in the brochures. However the whole confusion came from that legal conflict between MB and BMW. That was my only point...

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Sharkster said:
Yep... in the brochures. But you don't see that naming outside of them, while the SL-class is called SL-class (obviously not S-class) in the brochures. However the whole confusion came from that legal conflict between MB and BMW. That was my only point...
I see what you're saying. But has BMW sued Infiniti for the M35/45?

Besides, ML350, sounds better than M350, and M-Class sounds better than ML-Class, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
asianml said:
I see what you're saying. But has BMW sued Infiniti for the M35/45?

Besides, ML350, sounds better than M350, and M-Class sounds better than ML-Class, IMO.
Well, Infiniti cars aren't officially distributed in Germany and most other European countries. Otherwise BMW might have possibly sued them...

And being an Asian car manufacturer, they don't have much recognition (compared to German brands) in Europe anyway.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,537 Posts
I read somewhere that BMW sued Infinity in Canada I think about some kind of commercials Infinity had just because of they used something like M factor or something in their commercials.
Correct me if I am wrong because I'm not very sure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
There have been many such automaker conflicts over names in the past. Lancia called its mini-Boxer (part of the Beta line) the "Monte Carlo" in Europe, but had to change it to "Scorpion" in the US. Lincoln and Saturn argued over the use of "LS," Lincoln using it for a midsize sedan, and Saturn for its second model series. Lexus calls its flagship the "LS," so the confusion continues. I thought it funny when the MB E 350 debuted, because that designation has graced Ford's heavy-duty full-size van for years. The Italian gunmaker Beretta even got into it with GM over the naming of the Chevy Beretta (though no one would easily mistake a car for a handgun!), and Lexis-Nexis got huffy with Toyota over the name "Lexus." I guess that naming a car is getting more difficult by the day. The days of generic names like "Roadmaster" and "88" are long gone. Thankfully, though, so are names like "Probe," "Lark" and "Scenicruiser." "SL 63," anyone? Dinoman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts