Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to see a speech from Howard Schultz, chairman of Starbuck.
One thing I remember that it is very important for business to have a core product or service. As obvious, coffee is the core product of Starbucks.

Here are some of my thoughts;
Apple – ipod (used to be mac)
BMW – 3 series (more that 2/3 of BMW sales are 3 series, if I have correct information)
Honda – small engine & cars (such as lawn mower, motorcycle, Civic and Accord)
Swatch – watch
Rolex – premium watch
Outback – Steak
and so forth …

So, what do you think the CORE product of Mercedes-Benz?
I couldn’t decide since there are too many models.
My best guess is SL.

Thanks a ton in advance for your replies.

P.S. This thread is not endorsed or affiliated with any business for commercial purposes. Just I want to share information with other Mercedes-Benz owners.

·
Registered
99 E 320
753 Posts
I would say its probably the w210. It seems that I see the most of those on the road, but maybe thats because I drive one and look out for them. [:)]

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
I love your question because it relates to my own consulting business, but it sure isn't an easy one.
My definition is that the "core" work or product gives rise to everything the organization does.

1. MB have always had an expensive saloon and luxury roadster.
2. I think the S and SL, would be the core products, possibly the AMG versions. Just like the 911 is for Porsche.
3. Without the 4 door sedan (E) and trucks, I don't think they would have survived the 50s and 60's.
4. Without the A, C, and M, I don't think they would have survived the 90's. Just like Cayenne saved the 911.
5. Without Chrysler, they wouldn't survive the next 20 years as an independent. How brilliant is it to make Crossfire and Pacifica using previous generation SLK and E components?
6. Which leads me to my real answer; S and SL are the core products, but their wide range of drivetrains and the ability to cross platforms with them are the foundation of MB.

That's my story, right or wrong. [:)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Mercedes-Benz automobiles is supposed to be the ‘core’ product for DCX – how do you think they’re doing?

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
My vote is "mediocre". I just don't beleive their stated agenda is their real one.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Car - Mercedes Benz [:D]

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
.......Premium CAR manufacturer?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-06/15/content_340117.htm

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
jdc1244a - 2/19/2005 7:43 PM

Mercedes-Benz automobiles is supposed to be the ‘core’ product for DCX – how do you think they’re doing?

Too many stakeholders interests...[V]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts