Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes Benz 380 SLC & 1997 Jaguar XJ8 4.0 LWB Sovereign
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you all think of this (UK) 500 SEC Wide Body !

Hi everyone,i have the chance of buying this W126 500 SEC Widebody.
I live in Scotland in the UK and this car is located around a 4 hour drive away in the South of England,so i have not viewed it as yet but i am awaiting more detailed pics and info from the owner.
Its a 1985 with a Widebody,its obviously not a proper AMG original car but the owner thinks the car came like this new...i'm not too sure.
The arches dont appear to be as wide as a usual Wide Body i reckon,what do you think of it....! Maybe an aftermarket kit has been added.
It has sill extensions,front & rear bumper kit and a rear boot spoiler apart from the flared arches,it seems to be in good order bodily,the owner has a full service history and it looks like possibly they are Lorinser alloys but i cant tell from the pics.
I am seriously considering buying this car and i also have a set of rare 17" deep dish alloys that would hopefully slot right on,they are 8.5 X 17" BBS with an offset of et13, (see pics) !
Let me know your opinions on the car and the rims as i am going to make a decision next week when the owner returns from his holiday.

Thanks guy's,cheers Crawfy !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I like the wheels that are on the car Far more then the BBS bits. Spindly wheels don't look right on a coupe, esp a widebody!

Jonathan

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheels that are on it look a little inset...they dont seem to fill the arches thats why i was thinking of putting the dished rims on.
I reckon i can buy it for around £1400,it seems pretty good value i think !

Cheers Crawfy !

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
I would deff. get the car 100% (if price is right) and hole off to get the wheels you really really want. I agree with Jonathan.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have the wheels anyway,if i do buy the car i will see how they look...i may even just use them temporarily till i got something more suitable.
By the way Huntrtylr....i love your 560 SEC,are your wheel centres colour coded to match the body? Its a super clean example,i am now even more tempted to buy the White SEC i am looking at after seeing yours....mmmmmmm !

Cheers Crawfy !!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Widebody SEC i'm looking to buy has no leather,its blue cloth interior but still has electric heated seats although i would have prefered leather.
I dont know the mileage yet but i will find that out,its got a (UK) MOT certificate so its roadworthy for 11 months and seems to run very well indeed.
The tyres on the BBS wheels are 235/45/17's,i think they should be an ideal size...any opinions on the wheel size and offset of et13?

Thanks again,Crawfy !

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thank you sir...They are just a slight off. The people who installed my tires last scratched the hell out of them and had to redo them but it came out a bit too white I think or it might be my eyes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was in sunny Florida 3 years ago on holiday (first time in the U.S)...what a fantastic buzz seeing all the amazing car culture you have. Your beautiful White SEC will look fab on the sunny streets of Florida...enjoy. I am hoping to go back over later this year,are you far from the Orlando area yourself..?

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was in sunny Florida 3 years ago on holiday (first time in the U.S)...what a fantastic buzz seeing all the amazing car culture you have. Your beautiful White SEC will look fab on the sunny streets of Florida...enjoy. I am hoping to go back over later this year,are you far from the Orlando area yourself..?

Cheers mate.
About 2 hours away south in Ft. Lauderdale...Keep me posted.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been away for the weekend in the Scottish Higlands...it was spectacular,i have never seen breathtaking scenery like it....stunning. I have been conteplating the 500 SEC Widebody and i'm still very interestd....the owner will be home on Thursday so i will discuss it further and make a decision,will keep you all posted but your advice and opinions are still very welcomed.

Cheers Crawfy !

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
I agree with you in that the rear wheel arches don't look wide enough for an AMG kit. Wheels that fit a regular AMG widebody might not fit? Even if it's not an AMG widebody kit, it's still cool. Perhaps longer wheel bolts and spacers would help the existing Lorinsers if your BBS wheels don't work out. At least 3hrs isn't too far a drive to find out more.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC AMG Widebody; '05 CL65
25 Posts
Did not look closely at the pictures, but in so doing I agree that the rear fenders do not look correct.

The rear fenders on my widebody (also white so not a color issue) have a significantly wider look to them, especially in comparison to the front fenders. Could just be a bad photo effect, but I do not think so. Research this one a good bit more before buying.

Dave
'87 560SEC AMG Widebody w/ 53k miles
various other german toys....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah there is definately a huge difference in the overall width of the flare in the arches and the lower sills.

Also,i had an opportunity to try one of the BBS alloys on my old SEC today and guess what....they dont fit,the stud pattern actually is 5 X 114 i reckon and the centre bore is also very different,so thats that idea dead in the water.
If i do get the Widebody i will probably have to source other wheels for it for a tougher stance.
I just sold a set of 8 X 16 Penta 5 spokes 3 months ago with an offset of et11...typical,they would have been nice on it.
I will keep you updated anyway....thanks guy's !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No a3jeroen.....sorry for confusing you,its actually the 17" BBS alloys that i thought were a 5 X 112 pattern are actually 5 X 114,i was told they came off a Mercedes though but that cannot be true as the bolt holes don't line up,typical !

Cheers Crawfy !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most Japanes cars use 5 x 114 fitments,the smailler models are usually 4 x 100 but the larger cars are 5 x 114,like Honda Legends,Toyota Celica,Mitsubishi,,Nissan Skylines,Mazda and Lexus possibly as well.
I will find out the best suited car for the ET13 offset too and sell them on so i can put the money towards proper Mercedes alloys,thanks!

Cheers Crawfy !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts