Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the opportunity to pick up a set of what look to be AMG OZ Rims, Staggered 17".

here are some pictures, they appear to be dented, what's your opinion? Also, did they make these rims in an offset OTHER than what would fit on a w126? I'm having trouble getting that info out of the seller, he's not sure. I had him take close up pics of the lug bolt holes and everything seems to be intact. What do you think? For $1000 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

How much does reconditioning of rims usually run if these rims are in fact dented? Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 300ce, 1987 560sel, 1980 280ce, 1978 6.9 AMG
152 Posts
They're in S. Jersey and they're cracked, he's just not telling you. He's letting you decide from the photos.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,104 Posts
Hi, I have the opportunity to pick up a set of what look to be AMG OZ Rims, Staggered 17".

here are some pictures, they appear to be dented, what's your opinion? Also, did they make these rims in an offset OTHER than what would fit on a w126? I'm having trouble getting that info out of the seller, he's not sure. I had him take close up pics of the lug bolt holes and everything seems to be intact. What do you think? For $1000 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

How much does reconditioning of rims usually run if these rims are in fact dented? Thanks a lot for your help.
I'd be really scared of those. :eek:

If the outer rims are really as beat up as they look, I'd be worried about the damage that isn't visible. :(

If it is just the outer rims; they can be repaired or replaced. Not cheap or easy, but doable. Any damage to the center and they're a total loss. :(

$1,000 is just your first payment. These will need much more invested before you can put them on your car.

I'd recommend buying the set that Bruce has for sale instead. They cost more, but I think you'd come out ahead.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks a lot guys. Yeah they are in south jersey. He did just admit to the dents in the rim, but of course I had to ask. "Beautiful!" he says. Too bad I want to put them on my car, not hang them on my wall.

Bruce? I haven't seen any other listings for wheels like this. Right now I really want to put new wheels on my car. I've got road rashed OEMs on right now and 2 different tires. I am procrastinating buying new tires for these rims considering I want to go to a different size wheel very very soon. I'm just worried about my safety I guess.

·
Registered
152 Posts
He described them more accurately to me because I was gonna drive over to get them, a month ago, something to think about when you buy sight unseen from someone you can't know if you can trust or not... I think you just saved a grand :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,659 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot guys. Yeah they are in south jersey. He did just admit to the dents in the rim, but of course I had to ask. "Beautiful!" he says. Too bad I want to put them on my car, not hang them on my wall.

Bruce? I haven't seen any other listings for wheels like this. Right now I really want to put new wheels on my car. I've got road rashed OEMs on right now and 2 different tires. I am procrastinating buying new tires for these rims considering I want to go to a different size wheel very very soon. I'm just worried about my safety I guess.
brucemendel has a professionally fixed and refinished set that needs nothing.
Do a search on OZ wheels for the pitfalls / problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Firewater, did you ever go look at those BBS wheels that were up near you?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firewater, did you ever go look at those BBS wheels that were up near you?
The guy said they sold like hotcakes. He then promptly hung up.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
To recondition a wheel would be about $125-$175 depending where you go. Mines normally went for 175.00 a wheel. I think Axel posted a picture of a hairline crack on these barely visible but there. Scary.

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts

Look if you want to spend $1000 wheels, go to tunershop dot com and get some new ones. I got new borbet type A's staggerd shipped to Los angeles for $1000, inluded lugs etc... the correct offset. don't waste your money on someone else's junk. if they were good or cheap to fix he would do it himself.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Come to think about it...they really look messed up. Even if they are fixed for whatever reason I think you will have a HUGE problem with vibration. I never seen rims bent to that level.

Yes like you mentioned safety first and watching your dollars also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts