Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I currently drive a 1998 Mercedes S420 and I very much love driving it especially on a long road trip. However as many of you know, this big body W140 is rather sluggish in town and it knows how to drink premium gas!! So I'm thinking about getting a W210, I've always loved the looks of this body style and now the price is much more attractive than it used to be. I found this one for sale by a dealer in my town. I went to look at it and it is in very good condition just like the pictures and it also drives good. The only thing I found out wrong is that it has a couple of minor scratchs but the dealer said that it will be taken care of on Monday. So .. *sign of relief* The thing that I like the most is that it's got low miles for the year and that I won't have to pay shipping charges or airfare if I were to get it. How much do you think this one will go up to. I was looking at a few of them on eBay and there are a lot of E430's with Sport Package whereas this one does not have. Does it make a big different as far as driving and price of one with Sport Package and one with out? What should I expect to pay? The dealership has the asking price of $18,990 on the lot but I'm sure they will work with me a little.

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : E-Class (item 190111998444 end time May-20-07 16:00:45 PDT)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Man, that thing looks really, really clean and less than 40K on the clock? Wow. Only problem is that unless you get it for a song, you can't do a proper pre-purchase inspection with a qualified indie, so while they do give the 3 month powertrain warranty, you could still be buying some problems. Ahh, now that you've posted up more details, see if they will let you have an indie inspect it. That will cost you a couple hundred but then you know whether it's worth bidding into the higher limits for cars in this class.

I like that they bill themselves as being "the source" for cars, but don't know that "smoke silver" is really DESERT SILVER. Boneheads. They have the vin, can't they read? ;)

Of course, being in Missouri, it's also possible it looks so great because it's been heavily detailed following a flood, etc.

If the price stayed low I'd be tempted, but this will probably bid out higher than the cautions warrant.

Depending on how much of a gambler you are and how far the bidding goes, it might be a good deal, but you never know what is in the deck.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
The sport is some plastic and larger tires and wheels not much to it, If you want a smooth quiet ride don't get the sport. On the other hand if you want a sporty ride don't rule out a E55 huge bang for the buck. E430=275HP and E55=349HP.
E-Bay cars scare me.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I have that same car dressed in Sport. If you have good tires on the car it is very smooth and quiet. I have PS2's. The Sport Pkg was a 4k option when new. I would pay as much as 17k for that car. :thumbsup:

PS- The HVAC display is going out:(

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The car is clean, no question about it. I'd suggest going to JD Powers and plugging in the mileage and options to see what they say it's worth. The 430 engine is nice, plus it has heated/ventilated seats which are a nice option.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
acarter53 said:
I have that same car dressed in Sport. If you have good tires on the car it is very smooth and quiet. I have PS2's. The Sport Pkg was a 4k option when new. I would pay as much as 17k for that car. :thumbsup:

PS- The HVAC display is going out:(
Sorry, the standard E 320/430 is smoother and quieter than a sport model. It is not so much the "goodness" of the tires, it is more about the size. The sport has low profile 45 series tires AKA Low Aspect with a Z speed rating. Most high speed Z rated tires have aggressive tread patterns that tend to howl at speed, and have very little side wall to help cushion ride.

Here is the disclaimer straight from Mercedes Benz.

** Lower aspect ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise and reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions.

Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
I'm an e-bay nut; my last two MB's I bought 400 miles away. This car looks GREAT at a reasonable price. Am always appreciative of sellers comments that are on the money and not full of BS. From your comments it appears you'll buy directly from them rather than wait on the auction that may yield an as yet grossly unknown price. An indie inspection will be well worth the money, letting you know current as well as future needs.
Not to throw too big a wrench: an E320 will give you another 2-3 mpg's & still seem quicker than your S420.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Yacht Master said:
Sorry, the standard E 320/430 is smoother and quieter than a sport model. It is not so much the "goodness" of the tires, it is more about the size. The sport has low profile 45 series tires AKA Low Aspect with a Z speed rating. Most high speed Z rated tires have aggressive tread patterns that tend to howl at speed, and have very little side wall to help cushion ride.

** Lower aspect ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise and reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions.

You are correct to an extent, how ever some tire companies have gone trough great pains to create a W, V, Z and Y rated tire that can be quiet. The size of the side wall is not the only contributing factor anymore. The noise has been reduced by changing tread patterns and using softer compounds. Trust me I have purchased my share of loud performance tires in the past. I had to pay $200.00 + per tire to get a tire on my car that am as smooth and quiet as possible. My trade off is that my tires well be toast in 20k. I see that you have a 99 E430 Sport. You should try the PS2’s. You would be amazed. The set of Goodyear F1’s that came on the car, Very loud and I felt every stone. I’m just saying that tire technology is getting better.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Yacht Master said:

You are correct to an extent, how ever some tire companies have gone trough great pains to create a W, V, Z and Y rated tire that can be quiet. The size of the side wall is not the only contributing factor anymore. The noise has been reduced by changing tread patterns and using softer compounds. Trust me I have purchased my share of loud performance tires in the past. I had to pay $200.00 + per tire to get a tire on my car that is as smooth and quiet as possible. My trade off is that my tires well be toast in 20k. I see that you have a 99 E430 Sport. You should try the PS2’s. You would be amazed. The set of Goodyear F1’s that came on the car, Very loud and I felt every stone. I’m just saying that tire technology is getting better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took my wife to look at it yesterday evening, she really likes it. She even made a comment about driving this instead of her car. That's just not right!! :) Anyways, I talked to the owner of the dealership and he said he could sell it to me on a "buy-it-now" price of $18,000 instead of $18,990 on window sticker. He explained that I could wait until the end of the auction and try to bid on it, it could go lower or higher, no one knows. At least I won't have to be waiting on it until the last minute. I placed a bid on it already. I'm just afraid somebody will take the buy it now price before I make my decision.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Musikmann said:
The car is clean, no question about it. I'd suggest going to JD Powers and plugging in the mileage and options to see what they say it's worth. The 430 engine is nice, plus it has heated/ventilated seats which are a nice option.
ventilated???? where do you see that?

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
It would need zenons and navi for me to consider it. Those are two must have options for me.

looks clean though.

id check it out REAL close before buying though, given it's location.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have heard a lot of people mentioning about flood in midwest. It just happened last week!! I understand you should be aware of it but seriously, do you think dealer would actually buy flood cars and resell them? They could loose their business, couldn't they? I also looked at the complimentary CARFAX report and it is clean. I will have the car inspected by a certified mechanic before I make a decision. As little knowledge about cars as I know, there is no sign of flood damage that I can see.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
tongzilla, between you & your mechanic's inspections you won't be getting a flood damaged car. Also, the dealer you are buying from does appear to have a good reputation based on their e-bay transaction history & that is worth too much for them to lose over one sale.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
OliverK said:
ventilated???? where do you see that?
My mistake, those seats are not ventilated; I just looked at the photos again.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
tongzilla said:
I talked to the owner of the dealership and he said he could sell it to me on a "buy-it-now" price of $18,000 instead of $18,990 on window sticker.
In my opinion, $18,000 is a fair price for that car, and I doubt that the final bid will exceed that by very much. I have bought things on eBay too, and you never know who (they call them snipers) are closely watching the auction and submit a bid $5 higher at the last possible second and win it. My advice is that if you like it, take the guy's $18k offer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts