Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am interested in hearing what you love about your w123. Anything that makes it special too you or the little quirks it has that make it fun.

I have a 1984 300d and i love the feeling every time i get in it. The second you shut that tank like door you think wow, this car is still built 10x better than most cars today. The things i enjoy about my car is it has everything i want or need without things i don't. power steering, no abs, radio, ac/heat, power passenger mirror, power brakes, power windows and sunroof, just perfect. Instead of playing with all the fancy electronics as you are driving down the road you get the best road driving experience without distractions. Its like driving in a vacation, your cares drift away. A little thing i enjoy is i can shift my car into any gear while it is off and without my foot on the brake. I do not know if it is supposed to do that but i enjoy that. Now lets hear about your car.:):):cool:

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts
Easy to find in a parking lot amongst all the modern plastic cheeseboxes.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
The 2 L gas engine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
220 Posts
I like to look out over the hood and see that MB Star perched on top of the grill, leading the way.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Cieselle the Diesel just makes me smile. She's a beater, but still going strong.

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
It's reliable even compared to some new cars, a smooth ride, and comfortable but also has the style and vibe of a much more classic car than it is. Despite it being a car from the late 70's, I feel like I'm driving something from the 50's in terms of the "cruise-ability" of it and the weight and heft and stance, etc.

I also really appreciate how much one can DIY when it comes to repairs. Even some of the more complex systems can be repaired with tools contained in the well equipped garage of the shade tree mechanic.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
I like my TD first because its a TURBO DIESEL! Also, its reliability makes the car worth fixing even after 300,000 miles. Third, the above average vacuum, electrical and hydraulic systems turn the whole car into an awesome toy for a mechanical engineering major like myself. Theres many mechanical systems to learn and modify, especially being a TURBO DIESEL! Simply put, the car is very interesting and worth having.

·
Registered
1981 300D
23 Posts
It's the character. No other cars from this period of time are still around in quantity that the W123's are. No other car from this period has such a following.

I can remember wandering the Mercedes dealer showroom in 1981 and slamming the door of a 240D. I had never heard a car door sound like it before.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
No matter how long the journey, I always arrive at my destination too soon...

This is a car that makes you want to take in the scenery and not speed like a bat out of hell - driving detox, that's what she is.

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
people see the word turbo and assume its fast, then they see the word diesel and assume its slow, its a contradiction to them

·
Registered
80' 240D
130 Posts
My favourite feeling is getting in it in the morning and sitting on it's chilly MB-Tex seats and then thinking to myself... this is the first car I've ever completely owned. Then like a previous member said, seeing that 3 point star lead the way down the road and the loud diesel chatter going with it, that's priceless. :D

·
Registered
1984 300TDT, Euro Spec
33 Posts
I think the potential of owning the same car for the rest of my life is tops on my list. Though the class that the vintage MBs positively ooze is also up there.

Also, this may come as a surprise to some, but I feel far safer in it than in anything modern. The lines of sight are so much better (especially since I have a wagon) than anything from the last 10 years. Great road visibility, the windshield isn't at a crappy angle. The seat moves enough to allow me to be truly comfortable (No mean feat, I'm 6'4"), plenty of headroom... hell, it'd be shorter to list the things I don't love about the old girl!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I love the lack of computers. I spend 2hrs a day in the car for my work commute. I love the air movement in the car with all 4 windows down. I love the lack of huge blindspots. I love 4 wheel disk brakes in 1984. My 1998 Jeep wrangler had rear drums... I love the wheel bearing designed like an 18 wheeler truck. I love the wheelbase that takes the bumps nicely, and the weight to give it the solid ride -- and yet -- still achieve near as to makes no difference, 30mpg. I love that it has rain gutters on the roof.

I love that it was designed to be a car forever, not just until the next model came out.

I love that the previous owner said "You'll have no problem getting another couple years out of it. The only reason I'm selling it is I'm tired of driving it. I've daily driven it for 13 years."

I love that it is argueably the best Mercedes ever made.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts