Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300DT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, my first post.

Of course the seats look shot, so I would start off fixing those...

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series - eBay (item 320648184933 end time Feb-01-11 20:26:31 PST)

I'm brand spanking new to 300 Diesel ownership and have just started my search. I'm looking for a daily driver. I don't need a mint example but am trying to avoid rust and other major flaws you can avoid with a good visual and mechanical inspection. The prices seem all over the map, with completely restored versions (mercedesmotoring.com) going for $23K+ for 300D's. From what I've read so far there is minimal maintenance, and a well treated car has no specific "expiration"... I'm coming from Porsche 911 SC ownership and don't mind a little wrenching myself but of course would like to start with a sound platform.

Thanks for any thoughts on this car. The way its presented kinda gives me the creeps for some reason but it looks nice (besides the seats).

-Matt

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Not bad, just understand the interior issues. It's always best to get an independent opinion, perhaps someone nearby can inspect it for you.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
There is something funky going on with the sunroof, it's mis-matched and doesn't line up right.
Could be why the seats are roached and the headliner is missing, and could mean the floors are rotted out.
Looks like someone is gonna be sad when they go to pick it up.
Bidding is way over what I would pay.

Fish

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
First of all fill out your location, if you in a southern country it won't be hard to find one. with a car this age if your having it shipped have a PPI done at a dealer, have them drive it too.

wiper blade looks off? exhaust tip looks bent? looks like trunk top is faded?

^^ not sure about the above but car looks clean, but ugly and high mileage so i say stay away. take your time buying an older car.

I say keep looking.

·
Registered
1985 300DT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will keep looking. Glad to hear that there are better deals to be had out there if you're willing to wait.

I just sold my 1978 Porsche 911 SC and that took me several months to find... I will apply the same principles as I did when finding that car. Mainly, patience! Meanwhile, if anybody knows of a well sorted 300D or 300SD for sale in SoCal let me know. I'm on the hunt!

-Matt

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
w123 are more simple, but w126 have class and a TURBO

Don't know you price range but if you sold your 911 you should have some extra change =)

This is not a perfect example. but interior looks mint which is a big sign of how well it's been taken care of, not easy to keep interior prestine for 180k , good paint, needs a good engine bay detail and minor rust off the trunk

I wouldn't consider this a greta catch but it's a good buy. Definitely wait for the PERFECT car tho

Cars for Sale: 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Sedan in DOWNEY, CA 90240: Sedan Details - 279877643 - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
430 Posts
Isn't that a w116? looks ok. I don't like the color. A little high on price. My gut tells me there are hidden issues the dealer did not mention. Those issues are hard to see over an ebay screen.

·
Registered
1980 300SD and 1991 350SD
12 Posts
300sd

I have a sister car to that one, made in the same month and year. Mine has been well maintained and is great I love the car.
I rushed a didn't do my homework on a 300Cd and that has caused me a lot of work so take your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts