Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a performace CAT converter and it is awesome the car is alot faster, I was thinking of puting in a performance exhaust next something like this would it help? or would I be better off with the factory one that I have now?

Attachments

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
I just got a performace CAT converter and it is awesome the car is alot faster,
Your cat must have been clogged if the car is alot faster. The new exhaust may not provide any more hp but it sure does look better than the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
what brand of exhaust is that. i've been looking for a remus and it seems that they have discontinued the w126 make and model.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i'm actually thinkin bout gettin a Flowmaster once my exhaust dies out what do u guys think? I love how they sound but also i dont wanna mess up the luxury ride of my mercedes by makin it sound so loud u know

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
bronze560SEL - 3/17/2005 12:06 PM

i'm actually thinkin bout gettin a Flowmaster once my exhaust dies out what do u guys think? I love how they sound but also i dont wanna mess up the luxury ride of my mercedes by makin it sound so loud u know
u meanz ya don´t want it 2 sound like a 91 caprice nah mean dang?

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
The stock twin-pipe exhaust on the W126's will flow around 450cfm. Not bad for a stocker, but a larger bore system and aftermarket set of high flow cats and mufflers will almost double this figure and a conservative race setup triple it.

Tuning the manifolding (ie. low restriction aftermarket or even tubular headers, which are probably quite expensive), alters the flow coefficient (ie. drops the "drag" to the gases) of the exhaust system up near the ports, which is important too, for good cylinder scavenging as the gases seek to escape to the lower pressure of relatively cool, outside air.

Some backpressure helps torque figures on all but full blown racing setups.
Certain aftermarket exhaust manifold options will be a smaller diameter than stock (although still larger than port sizing), with long primary pipes. These provide excellent scavenging characteristics and a good flow coefficient, but still give some backpressure for good torque figures in mildly modified engines.
Madhouse setups just go for fat, short primaries leading into a huge collector and into the massive bore, minimally restrictive exhaust system. Who needs a torque curve when your 560 pumps 550bhp naturally aspirated? (don't look so surprised, they didn't race M117's at Le Mans for nothing)

The relationship between intake and exhaust cfm is one of the main considerations to good performance tuning. Stockers can get away with restrictive exhaust because the intake side is often fairly restricted by ancilleries, too much exhaust flow would actually hurt their low-mid range performance.

Free flowing rear mufflers aren't going to help the overall cfm rating of your exhaust system much all by itself, regardless of how meaty it makes your car sound. It comes down to entire piping diameter and every other part of the system complimenting each other.
You'll want to start with a set of low restriction manifolding to begin with. The flow rate of stock exhaust manifolds are shockers and they don't scavenge well (often they don't need to). A middle of the road aftermarket exhaust system overall should do you best, combined with your new high flow cat.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
so if i just add a decent flowmaster i'll only make my car sound mean but i wont get that much power??? i guess the sound of the car makes it sound faster lol hmm i dk if i should do it i dont wanna have a exhaust and sound mean while just rollin on the stock rims u know

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
My own opinion is once you've got the paint and trim looking nice, a full exhaust system, suspension setup and rims/tyres are a nice overall project beginner you don't *have* to expand on, and the major expenses of a mild workover to save for. I'd get any or all of these out of the way first, then rethink what you want to do and go from there.

Just keep a plan in the back of your mind from the start, what your final product would be like if everything was free. Don't want to waste a couple of thousand on a mild exhaust setup when you end up replacing it to accommodate cam grinds that make christians shield their children from your evil later on.

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
Bergwerks had the last of the Remus systems to fit the US W126's.

Matt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts