Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of taking may coupe to Earl Scheib. I was going to do all the prep work like, any body work, removal of windows, etc. I thought about getting their PLATINUM SUPREME paint service for $769. I know for the price, you get what you pay for, but not about to sink $5k into a $3k car. It's just not cost effective. Here is what it comes with:
Earl Scheib - auto * paint * body * collision - Paint and Body - Platinum Supreme
What do you guys think? Has anyone used them?
Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some more research on the net and have found nothing good about them. Most of the complaints have been from the East Coast. So what about the other 2 places, 1 Day and Maaco?

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
sounds like your doing all the work sanding, taping etc... why not just paint it also. If you go with a laquer paint you will get 50 times better paint job that any of the listed services. Of course you have to buff it out but laquer is a real nice paint job once you buffed it and any imperfections can be sanded and buffed out so it's real good paint for the novice sprayer. It will look like a $5000 paint job when your done and not like a $300 paint job.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You got cash right and your in southern CA. look at this article.

jAzZblOg: The Best Body Shop in Tijuana

Just a thought, usted habla español ?

Sandoval Carroceria y Pintura
Saul Sandoval, Propietario
Av. Baja California #304 Col. Durango
Tijuana, BC
Phone (from USA): 011-52-664-605-78-72

here's another shop: Do you like tequilia???

MARQUEZ BODY SHOP

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hate going to Mexico now. I used to go down there for the off-road races but now its gotten so bad the only way I would go down there is if I could carry. If you know what I mean.:)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I hate going to Mexico now. I used to go down there for the off-road races but now its gotten so bad the only way I would go down there is if I could carry. If you know what I mean.:)
I would not go with 1 Day and Maaco? Thay are alll about volume and doing fast shitty work with lower grade paint.

Look at you local telephone book for a small independent repair shop. I got my car painted in Tuscon AZ buy a place called Economy autobody it took them 3 days and cost me $400. But the paint job was great 10 years later it still looks good used Nason Paint.
Nason ® Finishes

The drawback was they didn't match colors they painted the whole car and you had like basic colors to chose from. white, red, black, blue, etc..

If you found a local shop using Nason products I am sure you will get a paint job that will last for years and look really good and cost you $500-600 dollars.

Really the paint on the car they painted in 1996 still looks good today and I haven't waxed it since 1998.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A classic mercedes coupe deserves a good proper paint job. If you don't want to spend the money on one right away, then do all the prep work, get it primed and save until you can afford to spray.

My 240D is going to the body shop for some work this week, a couple dents here and there and its not going to be cheap, but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I gathered. I will probably end up spraying it myself when I have the time. At least my donor parts car is also black but now my two front fenders will have a pin stripes.:)

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Maaco will do a better job than you can. Its all about the prep work, anyone can spray a car its how much prep and how many coats of clear coat. If you do all the prep work yourself that Maaco paint job will look just fine.

What you really want to do is go down and look at every car they are painting and have painted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You can remove the pin stripes with a heat gun, and then the residue with peanut butter.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Handpainted stripes have to be removed w/buffing compound. The biggest problem with the compound is you can buff too much and burn (rub it to primer) the paint.

·
Registered
1980 300 CD
17 Posts
I have recently had two of my cars painted by Maaco. I did the prep work myself, which is the labor intensive part. They did a good job with applying the paint, they have the equipment, I don't. Both cars were painted over a year ago, they still look great.

·
Registered
1985 300CD, '85 500SEC, '97 SL320, '08 CLK350 Cabriolet
230 Posts
A classic mercedes coupe deserves a good proper paint job. If you don't want to spend the money on one right away, then do all the prep work, get it primed and save until you can afford to spray.
A big mistake a lot of people make, is thinking primer is OK to leave on. One of the properties of primer is that it attracts moisture (so the final topcoat will be attracted to it) Do not just prime and let it go until you can afford to do it right.

·
Registered
81 mercedes-benz 240D 400k (in portugal),97 Mercedes-Benz E36 Amg (dad's car)
330 Posts
i am getting my car fixed has we speak and osme of you might have seen my past thread on my 240D in the shop the best advice i can give to turbo 240 is if you know someone good go with them speacially if they your friend, otherwise look around until you find something that you like! i ended up going with a family friend that is mercedes aproved i probably would have found it somewhere cheaper then what i am paying for it but it wouldn't be trust worthy.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have recently had two of my cars painted by Maaco. I did the prep work myself, which is the labor intensive part. They did a good job with applying the paint, they have the equipment, I don't. Both cars were painted over a year ago, they still look great.
My best friend out of highschool worked at Maaco, he had taken bodywork class in highschool. He couldn't handle it because he was more of a perfectionist and the prepwork and bodywork they wanted him to do was just not up to his standards. He did later find a job at a better shop. But while he worked there he prepared his 57 sedan deliver and did a lot of body prep and masking. The guy that painted cars for Macco sprayed it and it was beautiful. I have to say the amount of cars the painters at Maaco paint they really get good at it. But I also know that he used Dupont Paint not Maaco Paint.

If you were to go the above route you might consider buying your own higher grade of paint.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I got mine painted by a small 2 guy shop that did alot of body work on 1940-1950s american cars. It cost a $1800 and they kept it a week and they did a outstanding job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts