Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing a simple water temp sensor has turned into the biggest pain. I snapped the dumb thing in half. The problem is that the plastic end stayed in the "socket" and I completely messed up the socket when I got the broken end out. These are not the best pictures, but they are all I have.
By socket I mean the thing that fits over the water temp sensor. Does anyone know the proper name for this part?....Does anyone know the part number???? or where I can get this part? The dealership needs the part number to order it, but other than that they just seemed confused about it. Any help would be appreciated. [:)]
First picture is of the sensor that I replaced. The next two are the of the "socket"

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I'm doing a search on some of the internet parts suppliers that I purchase from to see if I can locate a name of the part or a diagram.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont believe so. I am not exactly sure what the intake manifold is. The sensor fit into the engine block sort of next to the valve cover. I attached another picture. Sorry about the poor quality.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I believe this part is called...CIS Water Temperature Sensor/Plug connector. I called one of my buddies at the local stealership and he told me that it's nothing fancy. The only thing is that he said sometimes they cannot be purchased separately. That's probably why you cannot get a part number. See if you can disconnect it and take it with you to a stealership and see what they say. Hopefully, it's not too difficult to remove.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not exactly sure what the intake manifold is. The catalog I bought the new water temp sensor out of does say that the sensor is located in the intake manifold. The sensor fit into the engine block sort of next to the valve cover. I attached another picture. Sorry about the poor quality.
You can see the hole the temp sensor fits in, in the right lower part of the picture.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,196 Posts
Hi Michael,

Wow! What a pain!

Prochambers is correct about the plug connector. He is probably right again, in there may not be a spare part replacement for that item. I don't know.

You may have to find a similar model to yours in a junkyard (hopefully nearby) to secure a replacement. If you can find one, cut the donor car's harness a foot or so from the plug and graft the replacement into your wiring harness.

A local independent MB shop might just have a packrat working in the shop... might have removed a cable end at one time.... if he's got grey hair or less... your chances of getting one could be better. Might be stashed in that 'junk' drawer![:)]

Good Luck, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Hey Michael,

How are you making out with your problem? Let us know if you need any assistance in finding certain parts around in your engine bay. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the local dealership and the guy there told me that he can order the plastic housing and that the 4 metal female connecters inside the housing are common. He has those. I am going to have to do some soldering and hopefully it will work. The part is not going to be in until tuesday so I wont know till then. The good news is that the part was only a couple of dollars. If that doesnt work, I can order the entire wiring harness for about $60. Luckily I found the part # for this. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help[:)]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts