Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe i've mentioned this before, I grew up right on the edge of westmont and my parents still live there... I can't help but think that there might be some NOS parts sitting in someones garage in the area.. More than anything though, I'm just curious. It's kind of perplexing to me that some of the nicest and most expensive cars of the era were made in this relatively small middle class town.

Was westmont closed when benz became the majority shareholder, or before or after? Anyone have an address on an invoice or something? Would all of their inventory have been shipped to Germany, sold off, or what?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity with your knowledge!

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,469 Posts
Barry Taylor bought the entire stock of AMG North America when it went out of business several decades ago. Is this the same place??

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
I believe i've mentioned this before, I grew up right on the edge of westmont and my parents still live there... I can't help but think that there might be some NOS parts sitting in someones garage in the area.. More than anything though, I'm just curious. It's kind of perplexing to me that some of the nicest and most expensive cars of the era were made in this relatively small middle class town.

Was westmont closed when benz became the majority shareholder, or before or after? Anyone have an address on an invoice or something? Would all of their inventory have been shipped to Germany, sold off, or what?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity with your knowledge!
AMG Central....223 West Ogden Avenue, Westmont IL 60559

Business for the AMG franchises began a downward turn in 1990 when AMG signed a contract of cooperation with Daimler Benz.
This allowed Merc dealers to have access to AMG options..

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
487 Posts
AMG Parts in Westmont

I grew up in Burr Ridge and many a day after High School hung out at AMG Westmont on Ogden. There are alot of the mechanics and employees who worked there (The building look the same but now is a Play it Again Sports) still living and working in the Area. They all still talk to eachother even after all these years it is a very tight knit community. Each have a few bits they saved but the majority went out west is what they all agree. Amazing I was talking to one last week that can quote exactly what he did on AMG cars featured in the magazines.. AWESOME!
Bob

Sorry but I really do not think there is some treasure trove out here.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny, I have been to that Play it again sports many times. Sold my golf clubs there, bought another set, got a few bowling balls, baseball equipment, etc. I suspected Westmont was where the infamous Barry Taylor got his parts. That guy could make a killing if he were willing to be reasonable with the pricing.... Then again if he were there would be so much demand it would probably take a small army to fill orders if he didn't sell them as a lot. Hopefully if the stuff does get sold they will be put back into circulation.

Oh well.

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
487 Posts
You are thinking of the old Play it Again location in that strip mall across from the dealership. It moved 2 months ago to the AMG location . Free standing white domed building across from Majors Restaurant. After AMG closed it was a used car showroom, the a remodelers showroom then a golf cart sales location and now a Play it Again sports, I will get a picture tomorrow.
Bob

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh, I know exactly where you're talking about now. Majors makes a mean pizza burger. And that's right over where the Great American Bagel is and I believe when I was a kid there was a "Coconuts" music store.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yep that is it!

On the money! and yes Coconuts:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts