Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I'm curious to learn; what do these marks on this 100,000+ miles 2002 ML55's engine, I saw advertised on Ebay, signify?

ML55  Engine.jpg

Problems?

..or..

Of no significance?

It's the dotted marks that you can see on the silver parts of the engine visible between the sides of the engine cover.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Looks like corrosion...could also be oil...would need a far better picture.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were corrosion or oil as you suggest, the question still is Boardboy, what does that signify?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Well, if it's corrosion - nothing...aluminum corrosion is kinda normal (but VERY unlikely)...oil on the other hand would be a sign of a leak - in a place that would allow droplets to end up there...CAS sensor or feed back tube?

Honestly...corrosion of Aluminum that I have seen is normally white-ish...that is a darker color like black? It may be mold, moss, or other fungi. Could be oil. I would venture to say...because the motor is detailed...probably oil leak somewhere in the motor, and the seller detailed to hide the fact. That is speculation though.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
It is aluminum surface corrosion that has been sprayed with tire dressing just like the rest of engine bay.

Radiator overflow hose is out of place, fuel feed hose is dangerously close to brake line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Consider electrolysis, no not hair removal or an electric fuel cell.. Think of the trim tab on your boats motor down in the water... Running liquid or gas through or over dissimilar metals causes electricity which can lead to corrosion.. Just a thought..

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Thanks for those opinions.

Anyone else?
Since you are driving one of those take a good look at fuel feed hose. I think during CPS replacement it gets unclipped from bracket on the back of fuse box and comes in contact with brake line.

This is severely altered image to bring detail in shadow area. Arrow points to problem spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see it Witek.

I'm yet to compare that configuration with that of my own engine.

It's academic; but what do you recommend from a technical point of view?

I was under the impression they were all assembled that way.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
No, they were not assembled that way. Bubbas don't put shit back in place. Just like overflow hose in that picture is not back in its place.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
At 100K, I'd guess it is a sign of a problem that is fairly easily corrected, known as a steam-cleaning deficiency.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts