Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1997 500SL a few weeks ago and, now, I have actually paid for it! I have one little problem which is that the Benz is in Chicago and I am in SE Georgia. (Oh, and I still have to sell my Range Rover, too, but I am sure everything will work out eventually.) The guy I bought my 500SL from said he could get it shipped for $550, but I called a car transport company and talked to them, and they got me all worried about how it could never be done for less than $1000 unless it was chained down on an open truck by some idiot who would surely ruin my new car's undercarriage and never pay for it because he probably doen't even have insurance and blah, blah, blah. Well, you get the picure. I do remember from my 1989 500SL something about how careful you have to be when towing these cars because they have to be done in a certain way or it can damage them. Can anyone help? Maybe I ought to go pick it up as originally planned. I just hate the idea of 1000 miles of Interstate driving. If I could feel confident about shipping it, I would prefer to do it that way, even if it does cost a bit more.

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Ivory:
Do a "Google" search or look at the various shippers listed throughout E-Bay -Dependable Auto Shipppers (DAS) comes to mind. Horseless Carriage is another that seems to specialize in enclosed transport. Check Hemmings Motor News website for more names.

Your due diligence is important - - enclosed trailers cost more and most all will hit you for a 'premium" to get it to you faster. Make sure there's a documented inspection upon loading and unloading to insure there's no new damage.

I shipped a Corvette from Tulsa to Phoenix for about $700 on an open transporter and opted for the extra insurance. This is not a place to scrimp.
regards-

·
Registered
2000 SL500
106 Posts
ivorystar- Who did you purchase the car from.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I'd just drive it. It's fun. The weather is getting better. Besides, you'd save $1,000. It only takes about 15 hours to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts