Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i spent all of sunday cleaning my car. i got the turtle wax leather cleaner/conditioner. eagle one wheel cleaner, tire shine. oh and before that i washed it with palmolive violet scented.. yes i know that it takes off wax but i was gonna end up waxing it again after anyways. ten after i used the turtle wax quick detail on all the rubber/plastic parts on exterior... then i used Mothers california gorl original formula carbuaba cleaner wax. after that my car looked nice. well worth the days work. then this afternoon, after school, i wanted more of a shine. so i went to a local autozone... looking for something. and i ended up getting Meguiars Cleaner Wax.... i think i got the wrong thing. but boy, that thing took FOREVER to use. took about 45 minutes to put on .. i had to use like 4 different applicator pads since they got dirty ( thats a good thing i guess since it picked up the dirt ) and then about another 15 minutes to take it all off... boy, i was tired. well this brings me to my question... i want the highest shine possible. i heard to get a polisher. is that what i should get? should i just add that to the top? any specific brands/polishes to get? what do you like to use. the paint is a beige/tan color which is clear coated. i was looking at meguiars site and was looking at one of these 2... maybe you can tell me the difference

"show car glaze" -- both of these Meguiar
"New car glaze"

thanks in advance, im gonna try to keep this car as clean as possible this week and when i get my camera back this weekend ( brother took it ) ill show you how it came out

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Everyone will have an opinion and most products are not better than the other. It is a matter of taste. I purchased the Centennial Collection with Dual Action Polisher last year. http://www.meguiars.com/collections/index.cfm?CID=251

Got great results to win first and second in a car show, but after a month the wax was gone. Meguairs does sell a pure polish. It makes make my cars shine. http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=A-21&store=meg

Want to read these articles about polishing. Most polishes are abrasive lotions or creams. I would call an abrasive polish a cleaner.
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Paint%20Care&faqQuestionID=51§ion=_51#_51
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-polishing.html

Right now I am using Optimum spray on wax and getting great results. Check out my wax job with the Optimum product.
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202638&posts=3&fid=28

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
I've got a 1 litre bottle of Batch Pro Glaze left over from professional detailing work recently. Meh, it's as good as anything on shelves, but just the stuff made by the gallon for workshops.

I used to get right into polish. Mixing up my own concoctions of carnuba wax and various professional brands. Put together some pretty good ones.
But none of it compares to a proper buffed finish with graded materiels and pad types.
Once you get a good, scratch free finish, any old hand wax will do every few weeks. So long as it's not too waxy or chalky.

Turtle wax annoys me. Meguires is unspectacular. Just something easy to get off is best. The Pro Glaze will keep me going for a while. Like I said, as good as any, better than most, but nothing special.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wait .. so is it polish after waxing??? or am i supopsed to wax after polishing?? or am i supposed to not combine one with the other.

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 3/28/2005 12:55 PM

wait .. so is it polish after waxing??? or am i supopsed to wax after polishing?? or am i supposed to not combine one with the other.
Wax is just another name for polish with no abrasive feature.
Polish can be abrasive or non-abrasive, and will have various grades of abrasive or "cleaning" quality.
The problem with products labelled "wax" is that some of them leave a greasy residue that you just end up scratching the paint trying to get out.

So try a few shelf brands, I'd not distinguish too much between "wax" and "polish" labelling and see what you like working with best.
Like I said, the no-frills trade stuff is pretty good. When I want additives I'll buy them seperately and detail the car in stages for a better and more personal result.
But retail shelf stuff is more marketing than content, you have to really exaggerate your products to get any genuine difference. I'd just use the one well chosen polish/wax than "Polish" and "Wax" because as far as I'm concerned that's a marketing wank anyway.

I don't even use "wax" as such, but you see if my trade sourced Pro Glaze was on retail shelves it'd be called a wax. Just that it's a non-abrasive polish actually, that doesn't leave a greasy residue with a bunch of overmarketed rot put in it...

"Rejuvinating" polishes will have high abrasive qualities. They'll be advertised as "returning colour to old paint" and may leave swirls if poorly applied on an already nice finish.
That's about as rough as polishes persee get.

The rule of thumb is no Magic Snake Oil mixture can deliver on its promises. A proper finish comes from work rather than a bottle. Just use a polish/wax you like and call it whatever toots your horn.
I can do a better job with crap stuff than someone else can do with their secret ingredients, I've found. But that's years of doing it for a living for you.

Oh last piece of advice on polish (wax, whatever), choices: check the ingredients for silicons and avoid if you may ever respray a panel. Some people say silicons do this and do that to your paint but what they really do is make certain that no future paint will stick to that panel ever again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
vanir - 3/26/2005 11:58 PM

lnkprksoldier - 3/28/2005 12:55 PM

Wax is just another name for polish with no abrasive feature.
Polish can be abrasive or non-abrasive, and will have various grades of abrasive or "cleaning" quality.
The problem with products labelled "wax" is that some of them leave a greasy residue that you just end up scratching the paint trying to get out.

So try a few shelf brands, I'd not distinguish too much between "wax" and "polish" labelling and see what you like working with best.
Like I said, the no-frills trade stuff is pretty good. When I want additives I'll buy them seperately and detail the car in stages for a better and more personal result.
But retail shelf stuff is more marketing than content, you have to really exaggerate your products to get any genuine difference. I'd just use the one well chosen polish/wax than "Polish" and "Wax" because as far as I'm concerned that's a marketing wank anyway.

I don't even use "wax" as such, but you see if my trade sourced Pro Glaze was on retail shelves it'd be called a wax. Just that it's a non-abrasive polish actually, that doesn't leave a greasy residue with a bunch of overmarketed rot put in it...

"Rejuvinating" polishes will have high abrasive qualities. They'll be advertised as "returning colour to old paint" and may leave swirls if poorly applied on an already nice finish.
That's about as rough as polishes persee get.

The rule of thumb is no Magic Snake Oil mixture can deliver on its promises. A proper finish comes from work rather than a bottle. Just use a polish/wax you like and call it whatever toots your horn.
I can do a better job with crap stuff than someone else can do with their secret ingredients, I've found. But that's years of doing it for a living for you.

Oh last piece of advice on polish (wax, whatever), choices: check the ingredients for silicons and avoid if you may ever respray a panel. Some people say silicons do this and do that to your paint but what they really do is make certain that no future paint will stick to that panel ever again.

A wax is a wax and has nothing really to do with or relative to polish!

A true polish contains an abrasive of some scale for minor paint correction as well as some oils to enhance shine and gloss!

A polish with heavy abrasives should be considered a compound due to the agressiveness of the product.

A wax without without any abrasive should not be called a polish, it is a glaze.

A glaze is a product with no abrasive quality nor cleaning or correction agents and is essentially oils that feed the paint and add that super wet look we desire.

The products should be used in such an order:

Compound - Remove the major paint issues, such as deep scratches, heavy oxidization, difficult hard water etching etc.

Light to medium Polish - Removes the swirls and hazing often left behind with a compound. Restores the gloss and levels minor scratches, removes minor oxidization, minor hard water etching, wet sanding marks and other various minor imperfections. Also adds gloss due to the fact that most polishes do contain oils to increase working time of the product and to aid in the diminishing of the abrasives.

Glaze - Enhances further the effects of polishing and also helps conceal minor paint issues that some might not want to polish out! It's the lazy mans way to quickly hide very minor surface imperfections! It's a filler of sorts. Has no protective elements and will come off in the first and second wash. Most use a glaze just before a car show etc, as it will add the dripping wet look that is desired by many.

Wax - Protects the overall finish and will protect the glaze from being removed, as well as adds even more depth and reflectivity to a paint job.

Glaze can be added over a wax, but I see no value or sense in this unless you want to add that quick wet look to the paint for a show!

Hope this helps clarify what products are and how they should be used.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very well explained. thank you soo very much. so what should i do to redo this? should i just wash the car with dishwasher soap to get rid of the wax?? then do what you said in that ordered manner

·
Registered
10 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 4/8/2005 11:11 PM

very well explained. thank you soo very much. so what should i do to redo this? should i just wash the car with dishwasher soap to get rid of the wax?? then do what you said in that ordered manner
You're Very Welcome! It should make the process easier knowing what the products do for you.

It's your choice if you want to start over? I think I would not be so keen to have you undo your past efforts and wait until you get the time and urge to do a complete redo of your work.

But if you wish to do it now then I will help you get it going. Tell me everything you have in your detail kit at this point and let's see what you can work with and what you might need to get to give you best results possible and suited to your budget!

How does that sound?

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Every manufacturer will have their own definition of a cleaner, glaze, polish, and wax. You just have to be more informed of their products. We had several representatives from Meguiars, Zymöl, P21S, and Optimum that spoke at our club. Zymöl will be at Star Tech during April 21 to April 23 doing demonstrations. I will be there.

You should read these articles to get an idea. Meguiar's uses these terms interchangeably between a glaze and polish.

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Product%20Questions&faqQuestionID=35§ion=_35#_35

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Paint%20Care&faqQuestionID=51§ion=_51#_51

Below is what I do and use. Any good product will work. Knowledge of the products and techniques is important to having a great wax job.

Once a year detail
1. Wash car
2. Clay entire car
3. Wash car.
4. Use a florescent light to look for scratches and swirls. Park car in the garage to go swirl/scratch hunting.
5. Use a DA polisher and paint cleaner if needed. The paint cleaner that Mercedes sells is the same as one of Meguair’s paint cleaners. Some companies will call the Meguiars paint cleaner a polish.
6. Wash car
7. Wash wheels
8. Dry
9. Use what Meguairs calls a true polish and put on with a DA polisher. Other companies will call it a glaze.
10. Wax entire car including wheels.
Mercedes wax is a polish/wax that is made by Meguair’s. I discovered a spray on wax that will last about 5 months. It is call Optimum. Also other wax products will do a better shine, glow, and reflection. I am looking for the best results with the least amount of time.

Every 4-month detail plan
1. Wash car
2. Clay
3. Wash car
4. Wash wheels
5. Wax entire car including wheels

Every month detail plan

1. Vacuum
2. Clean dash and trim
3. Clean leather
4. Wash
5. Clay if needed.
6. Wash wheels

Once a week I will spot clean with a quick detailer and wash wheels if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tiggerfink - 4/9/2005 2:56 AM

Every manufacturer will have their own definition of a cleaner, glaze, polish, and wax. You just have to be more informed of their products. We had several representatives from Meguiars, Zymöl, P21S, and Optimum that spoke at our club. Zymöl will be at Star Tech during April 21 to April 23 doing demonstrations. I will be there.

You should read these articles to get an idea. Meguiar's uses these terms interchangeably between a glaze and polish.

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Product%20Questions&faqQuestionID=35§ion=_35#_35

Below is what I do and use. Any good product will work. Knowledge of the products and techniques is important to having a great wax job.

Once a year detail
1. Wash car
2. Clay entire car
3. Wash car.
4. Use a florescent light to look for scratches and swirls. Park car in the garage to go swirl/scratch hunting.
5. Use a DA polisher and paint cleaner if needed. The paint cleaner that Mercedes sells is the same as one of Meguair’s paint cleaners. Some companies will call the Meguiars paint cleaner a polish.
6. Wash car
7. Wash wheels
8. Dry
9. Use what Meguairs calls a true polish and put on with a DA polisher. Other companies will call it a glaze.
10. Wax entire car including wheels.
Mercedes wax is a polish/wax that is made by Meguair’s. I discovered a spray on wax that will last about 5 months. It is call Optimum. Also other wax products will do a better shine, glow, and reflection. I am looking for the best results with the least amount of time.

Every 4-month detail plan
1. Wash car
2. Clay
3. Wash car
4. Wash wheels
5. Wax entire car including wheels

Every month detail plan

1. Vacuum
2. Clean dash and trim
3. Clean leather
4. Wash
5. Clay if needed.
6. Wash wheels

Once a week I will spot clean with a quick detailer and wash wheels if needed.

I am very well versed in what ALL products say and claim they can do or are intended for.

I was merely defining the actual purpose of the products regardless of what marketing teams from any company would like you to believe. Sometimes we have to push aside the ideas that these big companies want us to believe and get back to the simple basics and truths about things.

An apple is always an apple, even if we put a banana sticker on it!

Anyway...forums are open to all sorts of info! You have offered yours, I have offered mine and hope that the people make wise decision based upon what they read and what they really wish to acheive.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
f1guy68,

You are correct what you said, I was just pointing out to the novice that they have to understand the products and what the companies call their products. I wish all these companies would call an apple an apple but they do not because of marketing.

Even though, Meguairs call some of their polishes a glaze; Meguairas have some polishes that have abrasions in them. In these case, Meguairs do not follow their own preaching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts