Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure most of our North American members have seen the television commercial for the new M class. If you haven’t it can be seen on YouTube: YouTube - Most People - Mercedes Benz ML commercial

The narrator…with help from actors portraying MB engineers/designers… points out that most people who buy the new M class will never:
drive across the desert
need wipers that function at autobahn speeds
need the strength of five thousand welds
perform a mountain rescue
drive up a 70% slope. ..

But “some will”.

True. But that makes me think about the majority.

You know, the ones who won’t ever do those things.

So then I thought, what would most people want from a Mercedes? That is, what will most people do and thus expect from the car?

Here’s my short list:

Spring perches that don’t fall off.
Rear window regulators that don’t snap and drop the window into the door.
Crank Position Sensors that fail, stalling the engine and leaving you stranded until they cool off.
Noisy power steering that may necessity replacement of the rack.
Marginal wiring and sockets in some lamp assemblies.
Speaking of marginal wiring, how about the cluster pixels staying on?
MAF sensors that fail.
Catalytic Converters that fail…just after the Federal Compliance warranty expires.
Voltage regulators that fail…and leave you no more than an hour to drive before you’re stranded.
A transmission control module that doesn’t short out just because someone sloshes coffee from a car cup by going over a speed bump…from a cup holder ingeniously installed just over the module.
A plug adapter for the transmission that doesn’t leak and allow ATF to push it’s way up to the weenie transmission control module and…short it out.
A transmission that needs to be serviced...and a manufacturer's recommendation supporting that.
Motor mounts that collapse far too early.
Ball joints and sway bar links that wear out too early.
A CD changer that (a) could have updated firmware to read MP3 files and (b) would work without being reset on a fairly regular basis.
Support for phone technology that was dying when it was installed.
Speaking of the phone, a proper replacement rubber tip for the antenna (too much to ask that it would last…) and a replacement gasket for less than $100.

Just my rambling thoughts…we now return you to your regularly scheduled program. :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey, folks.

I didn't mean to sound so "sour grape-ish".:crybaby2:

We have robust powertrains, great brakes and handling, comfort, good fuel economy, quiet rides, clear sound systems, low emissions and all manner of great things with these cars.

I was just being tongue-in-cheek at the irony of MB engineers supposedly focusing on resolving the problem of wipers at 200kph while ignoring the issues that are of great concern to so many more MB owners -- or more to the point, the driver stalled in the pouring rain on the side of the Autobahn with a failed CPS: "Well, I don't mind, the wipers were keeping the windshield clear". (Of course, if the "over 5,000 welds" are done with the meandering attitude that fixed the spring perches to the chassis and sealed them, that's pretty meaningless.)

Sure, they're great cars, but they're more problematic than many other makes and than the cars MB previously made. My previous primary vehicle was a lowly GM product that had far fewer problems over 8 years and 115,000 miles (bought it with 35K) than my benz in four years and 35,000 miles. Not that I'd go back to GM, but that POS was a great car for 1/4 the price new of the 210 new.

Still, there is something about them that you can't avoid. Sort of like the SO that has problems, but you love them anyway, and you can't imagine having a different one.

Perhaps had I never come to the forums I'd feel better. After all I've only experienced a few of the issues on the "short list" above, but having read so many of those issues I'm sort of driving around waiting for the other shoe to drop. :D

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
66 Posts
i would rather drive an old merc than a new corrolla.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
It would be so nice to put all those problems behind us. Ah but alas much to our chagrins our outside rear view mirror has turned brown and the breakaway spring has broken. That said let the other shoe drop, but not on the water base thin brittle paint, Thank You.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Don't mean to resurrect topic , but is there an electronic or in dash gauge for the transmission to check both for both temperature and amount of fluid ? I know that theres a gauge for checking the engine oil but for tranny ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts