Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

4301 - 4320 of 4329 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Replaced the Monovalve in one of my 93 400E's. Now I have ice cold air from all vents and the CCU is working as designed.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Technically the past three days, but...

I replaced the three plastic fuel lines that go between the injection pump and fuel filter, which requires the removal of the intake.

While the intake was off, I painted the intake and crossover pipe with high temp paint and clear coat. I had done this before, but with it on the car, so this was my opportunity to do a complete job.

I modified a spare rear view mirror and sort of built in a new dash camera that has front and rear recording, parking assist, and GPS. I hardwired the cam into the X30 power bus. Almost all wiring is hidden. The rear camera is mounted to the underside of the trunk "handle" between the license plate lights. I removed one of the 8 studs that hold the plastic trim on and drilled a hole to run the cable through there so it would go through the metal in an existing hole. I ran the wire from there down through the trunk hinge on the right side, which I drilled to closely match how the other trunk wiring was done on the other side. It almost looks like it belongs there.

7 years ago I removed my U.S. headlights, along with the related U.S. headlight wipers. Recently, I aquired from the U.K. most of the parts I needed to put headlight wipers back in with the Euro lights. So I did that today. Unfortunately, I have been unable to source the proper wiper blades for the Euro and/or facelift light wiper blades (WTF?). I did find a source for aftermarket arms, from Turkey, with blades attached, which I plan to put on when they arrive. Hopefully the quality is not too horrendous. I need to refinish the arms I got with the other parts and will continue to search for the proper wiper blades for them. The trim panels I got were a dark red and badly pitted, and a bit rusty. I sanded them, put rust converter on, primer, paint, and clearcoat. They are not perfect, but plenty good enough for a daily driver. I also ran new hose to the check valve and across to the other side, but didn't have enough to do it properly, so I have ordered more hose and will re-route that when it arrives.

Good times!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do take some before and after pictures of the ceramic coating.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Will do.

Also tracked down a pair of front tires to match the new rears, they were installed today, so now have a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Ceramic Coating

Got a quote and made an appointment for paint correction and ceramic coating next week
I attend and show my W140 at numerous car shows and cruise in's down heah in Florida, 2-6 events every week for the past 2 years. I have seen a marked increase in the number of vehicles that are ceramic coated in the past year. Everything from high dollar $2 mil+supercars to relatively inexpensive survivors.

I can honestly say I can't wait to get this ceramic applied to my Benz. It looks awesome! Apparently it's good for 5 years, no wax required, water and sponge washing, nothing sticks to it and it resists scratches. It gives the paint that "thick" appearance like you used to see on highline cars pre 1985. I've see ceramic that brought back horrid, scratched, faded paint, and made it look like fresh paint.

I think the basic application is about $1k, but you can buy the product for self application for under $200. I know the Lambo, Ferrari, Rolls, Maserati DEALERS are doing it to their showroom vehicles down heah.

Good luck, Dunnik! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks!

Much cheaper/easier than a full-respray, and my paint is a good candidate: it's still good, overall, but is showing its age. It has an honourable patina that is perhaps worth preserving.

Resprays are great (if pricey) but it's nice to be able to answer yes when asked if it's the original paint and they go, "wow".

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I attend and show my W140 at numerous car shows and cruise in's down heah in Florida, 2-6 events every week for the past 2 years. I have seen a marked increase in the number of vehicles that are ceramic coated in the past year. Everything from high dollar $2 mil+supercars to relatively inexpensive survivors.

I can honestly say I can't wait to get this ceramic applied to my Benz. It looks awesome! Apparently it's good for 5 years, no wax required, water and sponge washing, nothing sticks to it and it resists scratches. It gives the paint that "thick" appearance like you used to see on highline cars pre 1985. I've see ceramic that brought back horrid, scratched, faded paint, and made it look like fresh paint.

I think the basic application is about $1k, but you can buy the product for self application for under $200. I know the Lambo, Ferrari, Rolls, Maserati DEALERS are doing it to their showroom vehicles down heah.

Good luck, Dunnik! :thumbsup:
OK, I'm intrigued!

Thanks!

Much cheaper/easier than a full-respray, and my paint is a good candidate: it's still good, overall, but is showing its age. It has an honourable patina that is perhaps worth preserving.

Resprays are great (if pricey) but it's nice to be able to answer yes when asked if it's the original paint and they go, "wow".
Same here! My car would be a great candidate! Will love to see pics.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
What Sold Me On Ceramics

I spotted a '93 Toyota MR2 at a cruise in from about 20 ft and decided to get a closer look. :nerd
As I approaced I was taken by the imprssive paint for such an old vehicle. I asked the owner, "fresh paint"? He said "No. Ceramic coating". I had explored ceramics 2 years ago, but hadn't seen an older vehicle with the product. I was told that new cars were the best application, especially the highliine cars.

When I closely inspected this MR2, it was almost like a new paint job. The owner told me it was faded, clear coat was peeling, had deep scratches, really rough, but he thought for $1k, he'd give it a try. You could still see the deep scratches and a few imperfections, he didn't bother refreshing anything under the ceramic, just thoroughly cleaned the paint. This paint was now thick, shiney, care free, and could easily look like fresh paint from 5-10 feet. That paint didn't look that good when that MR2 was brand new!:D

At this point I wandered over to the booths where they had reps for the Ceramic Coatings and had some exotics on display. Very impressive!

I doubt it's going to impress everyone, but if you just want a cheap alternative to a repaint, and if you want care free shine, this stuff seems to get it done. :thumbsup:

Beware! There are a lot of DIY products out there, and I've been told there is a big difference in quality in terms of durability, ease of application, warranties, etc. As with any coating/paint, the prep/foundation matters most.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Removed the IACV and cleaned it. Now she is running smooth once again. Next step is to replace driver's side rear window sliders (or track assembly if I can't find sliders). Then onto replacing injectors (currently have to crank it a bit to start it, and the injectors are 31 years old).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Coco Mats arrived today :D

I think the black/grey checker is the one to go for if you have a black or grey interior. Looks, feels and fit is fantastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I spotted a '93 Toyota MR2 at a cruise in from about 20 ft and decided to get a closer look. :nerd
As I approaced I was taken by the imprssive paint for such an old vehicle. I asked the owner, "fresh paint"? He said "No. Ceramic coating". I had explored ceramics 2 years ago, but hadn't seen an older vehicle with the product. I was told that new cars were the best application, especially the highliine cars.

When I closely inspected this MR2, it was almost like a new paint job. The owner told me it was faded, clear coat was peeling, had deep scratches, really rough, but he thought for $1k, he'd give it a try. You could still see the deep scratches and a few imperfections, he didn't bother refreshing anything under the ceramic, just thoroughly cleaned the paint. This paint was now thick, shiney, care free, and could easily look like fresh paint from 5-10 feet. That paint didn't look that good when that MR2 was brand new!:D

At this point I wandered over to the booths where they had reps for the Ceramic Coatings and had some exotics on display. Very impressive!

I doubt it's going to impress everyone, but if you just want a cheap alternative to a repaint, and if you want care free shine, this stuff seems to get it done. :thumbsup:

Beware! There are a lot of DIY products out there, and I've been told there is a big difference in quality in terms of durability, ease of application, warranties, etc. As with any coating/paint, the prep/foundation matters most.
I've only got a peeling problem on the entire TE roof for now. Be nice to try this process maybe. I know here, no one is gonna shoot the top for less than $1,500 and that's probably with me prepping it. As long as I can make the top look nice again, I think I might be down for this.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Rattle Can Solutions

I've only got a peeling problem on the entire TE roof for now. Be nice to try this process maybe. I know here, no one is gonna shoot the top for less than $1,500 and that's probably with me prepping it. As long as I can make the top look nice again, I think I might be down for this.

Kevin
Kevin you and I have discussed paint solutions in the past. I know you weren't too keen on attempting rattle can solutions, and I said I was the rattle can king(Hey, at least it's color!).

I think this ceramic coating business hides a lot of the issues you get with rattle cans, and it sure does leave a thick, shiny appearance to the overall paint.Keep in mind it's only good for about 1-5 years depending on the quality of the product. I would think if the vehicle were stored in doors you'd probably get a few more years out of it.

My guess is, for well under $500 and a few hours of labor you could make your TE look excellent from 10-20 feet. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I Totally Agree!

Near as I can tell from googling and reading, that 'Ceramic Coating' stuff is more akin to a super-wax job than to anything resembling clearcoat or paint.

Ceramic coating seems to have some properties that I personally find very attractive. :cool:
#1 is the fact that you no longer need to wax the car.
#2 is the idea that you wash the car with water, no soap.
#3 is the idea that nothing sticks to it, bird droppings, bee droppings, dirt, tar, oil, apparently NOTHING.Supposedly it also acts like a hardened protective layer resisting stone chipping, scratches, and discoloration from staining.
#4 is the idea that you don't have to reapply the product very often, 1-5 years.
#5 is the idea that it fills in imperfections.
#6 it shines like wax and adds a thickness/depth to the paint.
#7 it's a DIY product if you know what you are doing.
#8 it's cheap by comparison to a respray.

When I saw dealers putting it on exotics, it convinced me that it was safe. When I saw it used on extremely worn paint, I was sold.
Is it a product I'd use on every car? Maybe not.

4301 - 4320 of 4329 Posts