Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 4327 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Pics!

Well, this is the first time I've posted on this thread. Not just today but over the past week I've changed oil & filter, air filters, spark plugs, brake light switch, couple miscellaneous hardware items that were missing i.e. two rear studs that hold the air cleaner at the back.

Still have two rotors and caps to put on but I may hold off on these. My E420 has 187K, I've had it from around 130K and it runs great. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Interestingly the plugs were Bosch Platinum which had dual electrodes.

Also recently put four snow tires on as this is the first winter I'll be up north since 1996. Which explains the heat wave and lack of snowfall we've had here on the North Coast. Beautiful sunny 27F day here today.
Welcome!

Bosch Platinum with dual electrodes, hmmm. I wonder how those got in there. Everything you read about on the forum insists that nothing but the the standard Bosch be used. :confused:

What brand of snows did you put on the vehicle? You should get to try them out very soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
On the subject of winter tires, my Nokian Hap2's sit in the garage due to disappointment with their performance on ice - what we get the most of in southern ohio. The Blizzaks on my wife's car did somewhat better.

Four Winterforce studded tires are what I am using this year. They have proved to be superior for our conditions on my W126 car and half the price of Nokians, so there they are:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Got some small goodies in the mail for my 300TE project..

Removed the battery to replace the OVP and while I was in there cleaned out any leaves/pine-needles. Then removed the battery tray which was starting to show small corrosion bubbling in a few spots, I media blasted it before shooting a few coats of self-etch corrosion resistant primer and 4-5 coats of 70% gloss black enamel. Final step was to refinish the hardware and fit a battery mat.

New wiper blades as well, the little star you get with the genuine MB blade totally makes it worth the extra $10 ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a good day. Would love to add a 964 (and 500e for that matter) to the fleet someday.
indeed. very interested in adding a 964 again - kills me that i sold my 31k mile RSA many years ago. talk about kicking yourself in the ass every day. i was a huge 964 fan when everyone else thought they were the stepchild 911. wish i bought a dozen back then!!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
964 WIKI

indeed. very interested in adding a 964 again - kills me that i sold my 31k mile RSA many years ago. talk about kicking yourself in the ass every day. i was a huge 964 fan when everyone else thought they were the stepchild 911. wish i bought a dozen back then!!
I'm not a huge fan of Porsche. But I did WIKI these 964's and I'm impressed. Very limited production, low numbers of exotic variants, racing heritage, etc, etc. Probably one of the best WIKI reports I ever read. :thumbsup:

Would I want one? Probably not(OK, I'd take one if you GAVE me one). Maybe a '70-72 911 with chrome bumpers, if you must. Nowhere to drive such an animal except at the track, and who has the time and money for such an experience. Paul Walker comes to mind, they just aren't safe on streets with other vehicles and light poles 3 feet from tall curbing. That back end will scare the Dickens out of you till you learn how to drive 'em. My 1st three vehicles were V Dubs and I loved drivin'(drifting, donuts) the snot outta those rides. I can't imagine 3-500 HP in a rear engine with a fool like myself controlling it. :nono:
UNPREDICTABLE would be the word to describe 'em.

I DO respect Porsche for keeping their motorcars somewhat pure, oftentimes lacking A/C, power steering, power accessories, and such. I like their gorgeous, quirky, styling, low center of gravity, that rear end power, and HP to weight ratio. But their pricing is outrageous, given they are handbuilt almost one off units, I suppose.

Forgive my NON-EXPERT opinions! :devil

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Porsche. But I did WIKI these 964's and I'm impressed. Very limited production, low numbers of exotic variants, racing heritage, etc, etc. Probably one of the best WIKI reports I ever read. :thumbsup:

Would I want one? Probably not(OK, I'd take one if you GAVE me one). Maybe a '70-72 911 with chrome bumpers, if you must. Nowhere to drive such an animal except at the track, and who has the time and money for such an experience. Paul Walker comes to mind, they just aren't safe on streets with other vehicles and light poles 3 feet from tall curbing. That back end will scare the Dickens out of you till you learn how to drive 'em. My 1st three vehicles were V Dubs and I loved drivin'(drifting, donuts) the snot outta those rides. I can't imagine 3-500 HP in a rear engine with a fool like myself controlling it. :nono:
UNPREDICTABLE would be the word to describe 'em.

Forgive my NON-EXPERT opinions! :devil
Can't speak to the 964's or other newer 911's but I've driven a handful of 65-73 911's and 912's, 70's 911SC's and some 80's Carreras. Even rode shotgun in a real '73 RS years ago. None have had anywhere close to 300hp and they are not at all scary on public roads when driven responsibly, even in spirited driving I've never had a rear end threaten to misbehave. If you can handle a VW beetle this isn't much different..

The early 930's with their infamous turbo lag and anything more powerful than that are the ones to watch out for..

You have a point about other vehicles however, navigating a sea of SUV's and full-size pick-ups doesn't make you confident about the crash worthiness of a vintage vehicle of any make/model. Indeed, getting cut off on the freeway by a Lincoln Navigator in a 69 MGB can make you reevaluate what your look for in a classic car..

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I had two older 911's. Neither one was impressive in any way. The 1985 Cab drove like a truck. Every mile in traffic was agony. But, the worst part of Porsche ownership is being identified as a Porsche owner. Like driving a Vette. Only instead of a gold chain you need a $1500 pair of Ray Ban gold aviators.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Removed and replaced the transmission on my 95 TE last week.
No big deal... :rolleyes:

Curious though, did you replace with a new, rebuilt, or used unit? and how long did it take you from start to finish?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Removed and replaced the transmission on my 95 TE last week. Not a drop of fluid in sight. Drove it off the lift (in neighbors garage) filled the tank with gas and drove 250 miles to my wife's handicap equestrian competition.
We'll just call that "serious tinkering in the garage".

·
Registered
322 Posts
That hurts. If it makes you feel any better, I was looking at w113s about 15 years ago. Should have bought a dozen of them as well!

But, the worst part of Porsche ownership is being identified as a Porsche owner. Like driving a Vette. Only instead of a gold chain you need a $1500 pair of Ray Ban gold aviators.
Tell me about it. I try to keep a low profile in my car. Stock exhaust, boring color, etc. I've actually met quite a few great folks in the Porsche community. Then again, they're probably more accurately described as "Porsche drivers" instead of "Porsche owners."

I don't have many good things to say about Porsche post 1998, but there are a lot of parallels between the 964/993 generations and the w124. Feels like they were the last of the honest cars. Modern, classic, well designed, and high quality. Although the 964 doesn't have a mechanical speedo like the 124, I still like it :)

Oh, and I washed my w124 today.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gave mine a bath and did another crucial upgrade - replacing the windshield decal. My car was not equipped with this important OEM part when I bought it, as the windshield had been replaced at some point by the previous owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Well...

Removed and replaced the transmission on my 95 TE last week. Not a drop of fluid in sight. Drove it off the lift (in neighbors garage) filled the tank with gas and drove 250 miles to my wife's handicap equestrian competition.

...SOMEONE had to do it! I hope you had some fun, Jim! :devil

My nomination for "Worst Tranny Change Circumstance":

I changed out a tranny on a '89 Dodge Shadow in the parking lot of a Papa John's, then drove the turd 200 miles to meet my future wife in Breezewood, Pa. From there I drove us to the OBX(beach!) in a Subie wagon that day/night(another 12 hours). Talk about deadlines and commitments, cutting it close. Made for a very long day, but a great vacation.

3561 - 3580 of 4327 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
573 Participants
speed9644
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing