Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 4327 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Got hit in the rear by a young driver not paying attention. Slow speed thing, still buckled the tailgate. Got it open, and everything is functioning, but I'm glad the tow bar was there. Probably saved it from worse damage. Photos later. Merry Xmas. Urgh. :frown

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Got hit in the rear by a young driver not paying attention. Slow speed thing, still buckled the tailgate. Got it open, and everything is functioning, but I'm glad the tow bar was there. Probably saved it from worse damage. Photos later. Merry Xmas. Urgh. :frown
Note to self, get a tow bar.

I loaded up on that sweet sweet 53 cetane. 7.6c/mile with a lot of LA stop and go unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Though it would be interesting to see if your M103 has the edge in low-end torque over my M104. I'm waging that you'd probably beat me by half a car's length up to about 60-70km/h. :D
Your M104 is of the second generation which I believe took care of the low-end torque drawback found on the first generation.

Do you have 4 or 5-speed transmission attached to it? If it is the the latter, then certainly there is no chance for any standard issue M103 to beat it. If it is a 4-speed, guess the track is the judge (well, just for your 60-70km/h point) :)

Edit1:
I just noticed you posted a pic. It is not showing here at work and I found out because of the link shown in the quote/reply box. I'll have a look at it when I get back home.

Edit2:
Oh okay, I won't talk about it :)

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
hit a snow bank at 5-10 mph; tore the lower passenger section of my bumper off.
not a good day for the garage queen.
I knew I should have taken it out last week BEFORE the snow, SHAME ON ME !
Snow and Ice really suck

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
hit a snow bank at 5-10 mph; tore the lower passenger section of my bumper off.
not a good day for the garage queen.
I knew I should have taken it out last week BEFORE the snow, SHAME ON ME !
Snow and Ice really suck
I took a chunk out of mine on my '91 300D a few weeks ago on a parking lot stop.

There was a design change in the air dam around 1990. I have been waiting for one to show up at Pick and Pull. So far all the W124's have been the old style.

BTW, I think the post 1990 air dam is closer to the ground. I never hit anything with my '87 260E, but do all the time in my 1991 300D. Or the car is lower to the ground.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
and I did the same with my 03 civic !
but I had a lower lip on it so clearance was diminished

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Finished up R&R of blower motor on my 91 and gave her a decent detail job. Time to pull the 87 in and redo the rear end links again.

Decided I am going to go test drive a 540i. Row your own euro v8 is very appealing in that price range.

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
Decided I am going to go test drive a 540i. Row your own euro v8 is very appealing in that price range.
IF you're referring to the E39 series, then yes best bang for the buck. Last of the real BMWs before the iDrive crap generation kicked in.

Just be aware of exploding cooling systems, very common on the V8 E39s. Happens without warning. It's an age thing.

Beware, 6 speed 540i E39s are not easy to come by. Very few made it stateside.

The wagon in that configuration is even rarer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Do you have 4 or 5-speed transmission attached to it? If it is the the latter, then certainly there is no chance for any standard issue M103 to beat it. If it is a 4-speed, guess the track is the judge (well, just for your 60-70km/h point) :)
It's a 4-speed, but it's not the original transmission; I had it replaced after it turned out to be one of two causes for the vibration issue that almost made me lose all sanity, to the point where it became a "ya ana ya hiyya, waraki wezzaman taweel" situation. The replacement transmission doesn't have the S/E controller, though, so the S/E switch does nothing, which is just as well.

Edit2:
Oh okay, I won't talk about it :)
Good, because this forum doesn't take too well to (possibly) law-breaking shenanigans :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Did brake fluid change for two of my three E320, 1994. Had to stop because it turned dark. I did not start until about 4 after finishing the blower motor lubrication. The home made power bleeder worked really well. It was made from a garden sprayer. Use Dot 4 fluid from NAPA, 1 liter for each car. The old brake fluid is green. It was replaced about three years ago for about 30,000 miles. I used some expensive German brake fluid last time.

The blower motor was lubricated with Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil about a year ago. It started to generate some noise again. Not very loud but annoying enough. This time I added just a drop of LiquiMoli MSO2. So far so good. Also add a drop of MSO2 to the power antenna so it will go all the way back. It works.

jftu105

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's a 4-speed, but it's not the original transmission; I had it replaced after it turned out to be one of two causes for the vibration issue that almost made me lose all sanity, to the point where it became a "ya ana ya hiyya, waraki wezzaman taweel" situation. The replacement transmission doesn't have the S/E controller, though, so the S/E switch does nothing, which is just as well.
Hmm... does that mean I have a chance? I still don't think so :)

The rear diff I'm using is the wide one available for M103; i.e. 3.07. I'm planning to replace it with the 3.27, but I have my fears it would increase engine speed therefore its noise. Gotta give that a deep thought. The ~3.56 or something is for the manual 5-speed originally and it's too tight for a 4-speed on highways.

Good, because this forum doesn't take too well to (possibly) law-breaking shenanigans :D
Oops... :|

Wait, I meant taking it to a track! No law breaking stuff!

:angel

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nothing's really wrong with it, it is just a little too wide for the engine and the 4-speed gearbox to give good low RPM acceleration and highway calm engine.

If you're using the same, them by all means, I've got no chance :D

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hmm...

Okay :)

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
washed the old girl down- you would be surprised how much dust accumulated in my garage. granted , it was only 41 degrees outside, but it felt good to see her clean and dust free.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Drove it to a used car lot for a test spin in a row your own e39 540i. Was disappointed, where was the torque?

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
Drove it to a used car lot for a test spin in a row your own e39 540i. Was disappointed, where was the torque?
You're thinking diesel, having all the torque way down low.

On a gasser, and especially a BMW, you need to keep her on the boil. Nothing comes alive until you hit 4K or more.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So I just received my eBay won '00 ETA 0001415725. When I got home I quickly unpacked it and had a look. Somehow my eyes wanted to read 00M12 and I thought "Okay, great it's all good I'll go clean it after diner and the new Homeland episode".

I just got my cleaning stuff and some news paper to clean the ETA. Grabbed the unit and I had a better look at the sticker and I was like hmmmmmmm that looks more like 97M09 or something? :eek: .... No way this is happening. I turn the ETA around and look at the printmark in the unit. MOTHERF...... 97/05. :banghead: I open up eBay... the pictures CLEARLY show a unit made in 2000, he even clearly states it in his description. And besides that, the plug has this clip which was broken during shipping. So now I have spend 250 dollar or something on a '97 eco junk ETA. Great.

I've just sent this clown a message, I WILL be fighting him on this. He's not getting away with it.

2861 - 2880 of 4327 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
573 Participants
speed9644
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing