Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 4325 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good news. There's a fix for that.

Ask your girlfriend to tie you down to the bed before going to sleep.

You'll prevent making unexpected purchases and she might get some benefit out of it too. :wink

Just make sure she doesn't leave for work before releasing you in the morning.
Hahah I like the idea but she is so chaotic in the morning I think I'll hold off for now ;)

So, now I've bought a 11/2000 ETA and 3 Liter of Diff oil when I need suspension parts and a floor jack. Sigh :D

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Added a convenience feature (keyless entry) instead of a replacement part. Audiovox AA-925 cheep! If it last great. If not I will have to skip a couple of chic fil a lunches.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wife knocked the impact strip of the front bumper off the garage frame. Got a new one from RockAuto for $26 plus $26 shipping, total $52. Got it in two days on Friday. Got a spray can from O'reilly, painted it, and mounted it back. Perfect fit. Look new again. Insurance cover about $400 after deductible. The difference of $350 will be saved for future insurance hike.

jftu105

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
There Are Times

Added a convenience feature (keyless entry) instead of a replacement part. Audiovox AA-925 cheep! If it last great. If not I will have to skip a couple of chic fil a lunches.

There are times when I'd like that feature. What was your total cost and time spent adding this keyless system. Is it an easy add, in your opinion? PM me if you would prefer not to discuss it here.

What I'd REALLY like to do is get a system with total keyless: Open the doors, start and operate the engine with a key fob in my pocket. :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
24 years at the mercy of the elements caused the boot bump stops to deteriorate in such a way that they gave way for a substantial water leakage into the right side of the boot. I first thought it must have come from the righthand rear light since it was soaked and full of water, but further investigation showed the bump stops to be at fault. The old ones looked like cracked plastic, but the new ones are soft and rubbery (makes sense). I'm talking about the ones on the slanted sides of the trunk opening. The boot lid has bumps stops as well, so I replaced those too.

A bit fiddly to replace, and while I was at it, I also cleaned the plastic covers, and the horrid gunk that was underneath.

Car spent all night in the rain, no water in the trunk anymore :)

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
24 years at the mercy of the elements caused the boot bump stops to deteriorate in such a way that they gave way for a substantial water leakage into the right side of the boot. I first thought it must have come from the righthand rear light since it was soaked and full of water, but further investigation showed the bump stops to be at fault. The old ones looked like cracked plastic, but the new ones are soft and rubbery (makes sense). I'm talking about the ones on the slanted sides of the trunk opening. The boot lid has bumps stops as well, so I replaced those too.

A bit fiddly to replace, and while I was at it, I also cleaned the plastic covers, and the horrid gunk that was underneath.

Car spent all night in the rain, no water in the trunk anymore :)
I had that on one of my W124's a few years ago. It took me a while to figure it out. And those rubber stops are hard to find new. Did you order them through a dealer or online? Once the rubber cracks, the water migrates down to the metal core, which does a bad job of keeping the water out. I think the trunks on these cars tend to develop a vacuum when underway, and that draws the water in through the stops.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had that on one of my W124's a few years ago. It took me a while to figure it out. And those rubber stops are hard to find new. Did you order them through a dealer or online? Once the rubber cracks, the water migrates down to the metal core, which does a bad job of keeping the water out. I think the trunks on these cars tend to develop a vacuum when underway, and that draws the water in through the stops.
Ordered them through the dealer. Don't have any problems getting parts here in Belgium, except my wallet does not always agree :eek

They were like 4-5 bucks each, which is not too bad.

Attached a pic of the OEM parts still waiting to go in the car :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are times when I'd like that feature. What was your total cost and time spent adding this keyless system. Is it an easy add, in your opinion? PM me if you would prefer not to discuss it here.

What I'd REALLY like to do is get a system with total keyless: Open the doors, start and operate the engine with a key fob in my pocket. :cool:
I bought mine off ebay for about 25.00. It's an easy install. I read through a couple of threads here for instructions. My total time was about an hour. I just have it wired to lock/unlock and flash the parking lights. that was a total of 4 connections.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Replaced headlights (complete) with a set of Bosch Euro spec ones. Found them in a used parts shop for SR450 ($120 USD) in an extremely great condition, look like brand new.

I also adjusted them, the turning signals and the grills to go smooth with the body. Dunno why the grills don't wont to fill the gap to the bumper to. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Replaced headlights (complete) with a set of Bosch Euro spec ones. Found them in a used parts shop for SR450 ($120 USD) in an extremely great condition, look like brand new.

I also adjusted them, the turning signals and the grills to go smooth with the body. Dunno why the grills don't wont to fill the gap to the bumper to. Oh well.
we need pictures :nerd

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Okay, here they are:

Front:

Right (driver's view):

Left (driver's view):

They look better than Hella to me. Bosch headlights look crispier with clearer transparency (if I get the expression right).

The one on the right (driver's view) looks kinda foggy to me. I made a mistake and cleaned the internals of the one on the left only when I noticed some dust inside. I only noticed the difference after the installation and in the next day. I believe taking out the lense requires uninstalling the whole light. That's troublesome after spending time adjusting them.

Last but not the least, here is a pic with the high beam and the fog lights on... SOLAR FLARE :devil:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
^^^^ that's a damn fine specimen you got there, SG. Are you in Jeddah? We should hook up after I get back from Amman.
Hey what's up bro :)

I'm actually in Makkah, but I work in Jeddah. I "travel" between the two daily, except for Fridays (usually). I'm kinda guest there!

Let's have a showdown once; your 95 320E and my 92 300E :)
(Yeah I know, no chance here)

2841 - 2860 of 4325 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
572 Participants
DBenz320
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing