Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 240d has never had working fog lights so my mission was to make them work. I found that both were burned, so I replaced them. They still didn't work. I pulled the switch down and did some checking with a volt meter and found that when I turned the fog lights on no power was leaving the switch to power the fog lights. I ordered a $100 switch and found out yesterday this wasn't the problem. I found the wiring diagram and discovered the switch had 1 wire in the wrong place. After correcting this the lights work just fine. Didn't occur to me the original switch was wired wrong. Still smiling. I also flushed the power steering and replaced the ps filter then I let the engine idle and enjoyed the clack. Be safe, Don

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
172 Posts
Removed battery tray and brake booster to get to sway bar bushes.
That 4th nut on the booster took ages to get to. Don't know how I'm getting it back on!!

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbodiesel (US Spec)
191 Posts
Just had the AC overhauled, previously not working. New compressor, dryer and TX valve fitted. The old comp leaked badly. System is now like a fridge once again.

Also sourced a replacement diff cover due to a leak from the filler plug. Thanks to some careless @#[email protected]! in the car's past, the alloy filler hole had stripped threads and the steel plug had been jammed in with teflon tape. At least the change of diff oil is a bonus job also ticked off the list.

Next is to replace the 'chattering' speedo cable, temporarily turning up the radio to drown it. Also have a knocking in the back end so will need to get it up in the air for a proper inspection. I know the bakes were completely overhauled shortly before I bought the car, but not sure about the suspension...
Lucky you. I have had the system overhauled 2 times with 3 different compressors and it doesn’t cool like a fridge. Even when the system is topped up, it just doesn’t produce that bitter cold that you expect. It cools somewhat sometimes, but is not enough (especially at idle) :cry:

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
429 Posts
Lucky you. I have had the system overhauled 2 times with 3 different compressors and it doesn’t cool like a fridge. Even when the system is topped up, it just doesn’t produce that bitter cold that you expect. It cools somewhat sometimes, but is not enough (especially at idle) :cry:
Have you checked the temperature sensor line in the dash, if the short foam section has disintegrated you won't get proper temperature readings for the climate control.
I miss simple a/c, turn on compressor and adjust blend door to desired temp coming out of vents.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I removed Donkey's window washer pump to install it on my W202, and was pleasantly, if somewhat sadly, reminded of how well everything on these cars were made.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
172 Posts
Cleaned up under brake booster and battery tray. A bit more to do but tried one of the sway bar bushes on. After reading a few threads on how difficult this could be, I was surprised that it was so easy. Gap at the back of the bush closes up nicely as the bracket is tightened up.
Removed all rust from brake booster and repainted so it looks like new. This job will be finished tomorrow and then on to rear subframe bushes.

·
Registered
1981 240D
102 Posts
Took wiper arms off, did some cleaning and lubrication. Did an oil change. The exhaust leak that my brother fixed last October came back, so I tried my hand at fixing that. The trouble appeared to be a nut that wouldn't stay tight. I ended up replacing it, and that seems to be holding pretty well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you checked the temperature sensor line in the dash, if the short foam section has disintegrated you won't get proper temperature readings for the climate control.
I miss simple a/c, turn on compressor and adjust blend door to desired temp coming out of vents.
Yes. That was one of 1st things I did and found out that someone had already replaced it. I checked the monovalve as well and the temperature switch on the evaporator. All fine.

The thing is, when the car is in the presence of the A/C technician, everything works fine, it even cycles on and off, the aux fan kicks in and the air is cold. But the moment that I drive off the shop, the aux fan gives up the ghost, the compressor stays on and the air coming out of the vents becomes disappointment.

It makes miss the A/C on the 2 corollas station wagon that we had. It was so cold, that it could kill you from hypothermia.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
172 Posts
Changed front calipers due to rusty stump bleed screws. Changed wheel bearings whilst there. Wanted to change brake hoses too but hard line connection rounded off. Now awaiting new hard lines :(

·
Registered
1979 240D
50 Posts
Got my 240D out of storage and have been getting her ready for daily driver. Man do these cars hate sitting. Been trying to figure out a vacuum leak that’s affecting the transmission, climate control, door locks, brakes and the engine shut off! Super fun (not)! Got my throttle linkage unstuck and lubed up. Started battling some rust issues. Also got some new fuel filters and am going to do my first diesel purge tomorrow. Missed my 240D. May be slow as hell but sure is fun to work on.

·
Registered
W123 300CD, W123 300TD, W202 C250D Turbo
212 Posts
Installed new radiator that has the pressure / burp tank on the RH Wheel Arch (You can get the non pressure tank radiators for diesels anymore). Friend in California chiselled off brackets from self serve yard and sent over a while back (pre lock down). Mounted tank (from a W126 with level sensor), installed new radiator and additional plumbing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Fixed both brake pad wear sensor harnesses because the insulation was shot and one of them had been cut. I know they are still available new but at $40 each, I am not sure they are worth buying since they don’t perform a vital function. If you inspect your brakes periodically, you know if your brake pads are getting thin. Anyway, it’s nice to know that warning system works.

Also removed the brake pads and measured the rotors to determine whether or not are worth resurfacing, fixed the right horn wire harness, added new insulation to the alternator harness and mounted the oil cooler properly. Since I got this car, the oil cooler had been sitting on the lower valance because the upper attachment clamp was missing and the lower was doing nothing.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When is this thread going to become a sticky? It already halfway through the year!

Anyways...

Today I started something I've been dreading as much as eagerly awaiting: I started folding the mesh grille covers for the rear speakers.

The first was bent with the rows of holes parallel to the fold. But I immediately regretted doing it that way.

Fortunately, the sheets are large enough that I can still reuse it. I have three sheets, and I decided to start with the ugliest one - never think that the first one is going to be perfect...

So I decided to bend it again, this time for the left speaker, and with the rows of holes horizontal. I prefer this look.

It's difficult to see in these photos, but it will look much better once I have painted them satin black.

Mercedes uses an expanded mesh for their speaker covers, but I haven't ever been able to find anything like it. Still, this aluminium drilled mesh doesn't look too far off (Using my W126's cover for comparison, but the W202 also uses the same expanded mesh)

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,440 Posts
PlaneCrazy said:
When is this thread going to become a sticky? It already halfway through the year!
32 replies in 118 days. Also stickies make it annoying having to extra scroll for people on mobile devices (look at W124 or R129 section as a couple examples). Keep it at the top on its own merit.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
172 Posts
Fitted new front brake hard lines and flexible hoses.

Found source of front engine oil leak. Not the paper gasket, but the rear o ring. SLS pump also slightly leaking at joint of 2 halves. Awaiting new o rings...

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
32 replies in 118 days. Also stickies make it annoying having to extra scroll for people on mobile devices (look at W124 or R129 section as a couple examples). Keep it at the top on its own merit.
Indeed, it looks like the older the W123s get, the fewer problems remain to be solved:D

Soon they will all be perfect, and they will last forever!

·
Registered
1980 280E Sedan
56 Posts
Just treated her to a new bonnet/hood liner. Bought in sheet form and DIY trimmed to fit. 20mm thickness. Very good adhesion, molds well into the metal contours. Didn't take a pic of the old worn and corroded one, but we all know what they look like!

20200423_121046.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Took the alternator out to be rebuilt. The wiring issue wasn’t the only charging issue my car had…

·
Registered
212 Posts
Deleted the EGR valve with a blank off plate on inlet and welsh plug in the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Replaced brushes in heater blower motor

Replaced 40yo rubber grommets in the Windshield Washer tank and cleared the lines, reset the jets to top area of windcreen

21 - 40 of 62 Posts