Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I am tired of waiting. I need my cars to finished and working. This engine has been in need of an overhaul for years now, and I cannot afford it destroying more gearboxes. Yes, I know it's going to be expensive. But with all the money I've spent and time I haven't been driving, things have got to come to a conclusion.

I'm in the mood for a W126 next. But I am spending nothing on that until the W123 and the W202 are working as they should.
...and then I found prices for the overhaul...:eek:

I went window shopping for parts. The prices for parts constitute the bulk of the cost of the overhaul. Whether I buy and import a complete engine from Metric Motors in the US to South Africa, or source OEM parts at the best possible prices, I'm looking at about US$8000.00 at least.

I think I'll drive her until she breaks. I have a backup plan for the transmission and, strictly speaking, the engine is still well within spec. I'm just going to reassemble her, straighten the propshaft and keep on driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi PlaneCrazy,
Just picked up your comment about engine overhaul and thought I'd share my current experience here in George.
I'm not sure which car is the subject of your post but my W123 230E cylinder head was giving problems with using coolant and no sign of leaks.
Took it off and found bad corrosion on the head and in the block so took it all out and gave it to Barnie's Engine Rebuilders.
Head welding, line boring, straightening, valve seats recut and skimming with new valves, guides, stem seals R7,000
Block rebored, new pistons, rings, all bearing shells, new timing chain and tensioner R 8,000 and all reassembled and delivered.
That's the same as some secondhand deals I've seen for a motor that may have done 200,000 + kms!
Can't recommend them highly enough, and they are still answering my daft novice questions as I refit the ancillaries ready for install this week!

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
The M102 is significantly cheaper to work on than the OM617, by virtue of being a petrol engine, a more recent design, and sold in greater numbers in South Africa.

One cannot simply replace rings and liners on a diesel engine; it's an all-or-nothing rebuild, complete with balancing and post-grind hardening of the crankshaft. I speak from firsthand experience on tractor and truck engines that a partial rebuild is a waste of money.

Thanks, though, you seem to have all the best toys and boys in the fairest Cape.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1993 W124.034
3,832 Posts
Just put mine away for the winter :cry:

61 - 64 of 64 Posts