Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started reassembling the 5-speed transmission. I am also busy reworking my rear shelf, hoping to be done in time for the weekend.

I'm thinking about leaving the body repairs for winter, when it is dry in my neck of the woods. (Also, she doesn't look too bad, and I really miss driving my W123.)

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,403 Posts
Replaced the cabin air temp sensor, the foam tube and the light bulbs for the HVAC controller. Will know next long drive if I fixed my heat issue.

As above, the car is sequestered till things dry out.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gearbox reassembly was rudely interrupted by a severe case of "the modified parts don't fit". So I have to have that addressed. Farewell, noble attempt at making the gears just a little stronger...

Then the infamous Eskom load shedding put an abrupt halt on my rear shelf work. But I did make some good headway in that regard today.

I hate not having a lathe of my own. I hate being too poor to buy myself a lathe. And I really, really hate not driving my W123.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,171 Posts
Shoveled a path around it,:wink:wink

·
Registered
1981 W123 280E "Rusty"
136 Posts
The regular 75 MPH winds did this, not me. Scuffed up my right fender, temporarily broke off my passenger side mirror (I had actually just worked on it), and bent my antenna. The carport is beyond repair, obviously.

I just love Bellingham.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300D
71 Posts
2019 Tasks

So far, in this new hear, I spent my attention on the suspension of my 85 300D. I replaced front upper control arms, strut rod bushings and mounts and shock absorbers front and rear. This coming weekend I will change the motor mounts and checking the motor shocks which I believe to be good. I will next week.

·
Registered
1982 230CE Silberdistel
21 Posts
Hi

After a long hiatus I've finally restarted my 230ce project. I did quite a bit of welding to the body a couple of years ago including the dreaded firewall behind the battery tray but then stopped once confronted by having to reassemble the dash.

So now it's 2019. Time to bust a move.

1 engine out for recon and cleanup of engine bay. Engine and box removed and bay degreased and power washed. Minor rust spots cleaned and primed.

2 reinstall dash. Got the evaporator and the dash top back on. All vacuum and wiring connected up except for the center console stuff.

Cheers. James.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon, 2009/2010/2011 Sprinter, 1985 300D, 2013 GL450
13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
324 Posts
I've been picking up a few things to install once the snow & cold leave, new water pump & thermostat, voltage regulator, a spare rebuilt cruise amp, windshield gasket ( still need to order the windshield) plus a few other odds & ends. I'll have a few days of work on the car once April arrives.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon, 2009/2010/2011 Sprinter, 1985 300D, 2013 GL450
13 Posts
Valve adjustment, clean the engine compartment, replace few hoses, clean the interior, replace the inside of the grill, eating for the correct Mercedes grill top badge, the one for the w124 will not fit correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been struggling to find the time and energy to work on my car. I have decided to have another go at 3D scanning at least the bell housing and outer casing of my gearbox while it is still disassembled.

Meanwhile, I have made some progress in the hat tray with the 8" speakers I'm mounting. I did a CAD design of the hat tray with the speaker in place. I determined the speaker position with the hat tray and the speaker in the actual car, then I made a wood template of where the speaker would be relative to the rear window. I did the CAD design and made drawings, then I cut some styrofoam templates to confirm. Not all of these would fit due to the curvature of the rear window, so I am now going to adjust my CAD model back to the templates.

Next weekend I will do the actual wood construction. But here is the CAD design so far. (I forgot both my camera and my cell phone, so I didn't take pictures of the styrofoam trial-fitment.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
324 Posts
Got the water pump, thermostat and voltage regulator installed on the TD pus did some scraping & cleaning on the front of the engine while I was there, only had one oopsie but it was a messy one. During my cleaning attempt I had removed the sls line from the pump and just blocked the outlet with a small plug, I kept reminding myself to reconnect the line before I fire up the car and still forgot I finally noticed oil running out from under the car about half a minute after starting it. So now I halve to wait for Monday to get a jug hydraulic oil for the sls, on the bright side I have the system half way flushed so I might as well finish flushing the rest of it once I get some more oil.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have decided to have the gearbox housing 3D scanned. I have booked for the 30th of April. I'll start with the one that must go into my car and see how that goes. If I'm satisfied, I'll take the original 5-speed housing, the M102 4-speed housing and the 4Matic 5-speed housing to have a record of all the perturbations between them.

·
Registered
1983 300CD Turbo Diesel, 1997 E320
26 Posts
First Run down of everything

Did my rundown of the car to document everything including parts numbers and the conditions.

I just had to personally verify how clean the prior owner had kept it. When I bought it I knew it was clean, but god damn... It was fucking surgically clean.
After documenting everything I made sure to go about doing a deep dive on testing everything. I made a list of everything that might need attention and prioritized it.

Finally Full wash and wax.

Then started the first part of my engine bay detailing making sure to document everything there as well.

Right now I'm in the process of digitizing all the service record information that came with it since it was bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300CD Turbo Diesel, 1997 E320
26 Posts
Car Documentation That I have to share.

Every day I find my self amazed by the previous owner. Respect.
I Began the day with the second stage of my engine bay detailing

Eventually going through the Vacuum lines and pulling the Thermal vacuum valve. As I lurkerd the web for one I was surprised to see it cost $39.... Fine it's worth it. Later on in the evening I decided to read through the service history to get an idea of what has been done so I could pick up the maintenance where he left off. This is where I was blown away again.

I was blown away by the amount of care, Documentation, and money spent over the life time of this car. Imagine a savant IRS agent decided to do the documentation. It is that good. Every single possible thing was done to preserve the car period. Of all the years of watching the cars that appear on bring a trailer, you would see the occasional Listing that had the owner who took such great care of everything that he even had the original Window sticker to top it all off. This puts them to shame. Not only was everything on the car documented, but even the receipts for the car washes the original owner would do weekly were there. My dick was already hard when I saw the Window sticker but I came when I saw everything else including a receipt for the Mercedes book that the owner also bought that day explaining the Heritage of Mercedes Benz. Not a Bring a trailer High score but a top ten for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used the long weekend to make as much progress as possible on the speaker board. Things went well until I had to cut the speaker hole in the panel, and the jigsaw got stuck, breaking the most critical component into three irreparable pieces...

Oh, well. I have another long weekend coming up. I'll hopefully not only have the speaker board ready by then, but possibly the entire car reassembled and ready for the road.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts