Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

6921 - 6940 of 6941 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fixed the Convertible Top on my 22 Year Old '97 SL-320

Took off the hardtop for the summer & went to raise the soft top. The seals on the main lift pistons blew out leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere. Took out the main lift & bow extension cylinders for Klaus to rebuild. I had done the easy to reach other 6 pistons several years ago. Made all the classic mistakes on this job like dropping one of the piston bolts down into the frame (took hours to fish it out) and completely crushing the bow piston micro switch which I replaced with new.

All back together now. Soft top works perfectly again but what a job!! Need lots of patience for this!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Finally a bit of nice weather on this side of the world and went to replace the oil pressure sensor as it had stopped working on the dash. Racing for time after work and sunset 1 hour window it appears the plug had fallen off the connections and plugged it back it, boom it works again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Finally... all buttoned up, the car is back in one piece! Installed Lamin-x on newly mounted Euro headlights and fogs and took it for a little topless drive with freshly completed sound system

Regards,
D
Would be nice to see the rest of your car in the picture, this new forum sucks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would suggest to not use Tapatalk with this forum format, not friendly at all... Just straight browser works for me.

Regards,
D
I’ve been using this as my main access for the last couple of years and it works really well, not so much anymore with the pictures. Such a shame what’s happened!!

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
I’ve been using this as my main access for the last couple of years and it works really well, not so much anymore with the pictures. Such a shame what’s happened!!

Everything just about, on this new forum platform sucks. Hopefully, the admin team will get it figgered' out and improve it. I abandoned tapatalk a long time ago, and view the forum on my iphone in native view... worked wonderfully on the old platform. Not so much on this new one, but has nothing to do with viewing on phone (it just sucks, period).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Almost learnt the hard way changing my thermostat tonight. Drove 50m down the road and saw the temp sensor rise and rise like wtf!!

Who would have knew the jiggle ball was so important... and that you need to refill the top hose to the radiator.

Now she’s all good, running just around the 80degree mark.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Took the car in for rattling noise under the car, turned out to be shot secondary cats.
Mechanic gutted the cats out.

However, my car is as quiet as a kitten.

My 99 SL500 does not have the rear resonator just before the rear muffler. Although I have installed AMG mufflers. ANd now the secondary cats have been gutted. No change in sound whatsoever.

I'm not complaining, but I would have liked my V8 to have a little more growl.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Center arm rest strut was certainly NOT in the list of priorities on this project car... Now that the project is near completion, its these little things such as SG403030 makes the difference...

Regards,
D
Wow, you console does pop up much quicker than mine. I just recently replaced the strut as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Replaced my dizzy caps and rotors. I kept the original brackets on though. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that? As they are MBZ and the replacement ones I have are URO.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
Not only for the SL, but primarily so... Got this delivered this week, and commissioned today. No more shaky jacks and fidgety jack stands for me. Bend Pak's Quick Jack, 5000SLX. 5000lb with two locking heights.

(would have attached a video, but one is avilable on Quick Jack web site)

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I have the 7000lb model. Had it for several years. Beefy enough to lift my GMC 2500HD, low enough to lift the E420 or SL500. Man, I wish this was available 30 years ago! One of, if not the best purchase in the last few years. It is low enough when collapsed to just store under the SL, not taking up extra space in the garage. Easy to move out of the way if I want to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I crouched in behind the drivers seat with a soldering iron, tools, etc and essentially re-wired/repaired the wire harness feeding the soft top controller. I hope the mice that lived there over the last year or so had a good meal. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought corteco motor mounts and a corteco trans mount for my 01 and had a shop do em.

Took the mechanic two hours, shop still made me pay for the quoted 3.4 hours for some strange reason :mad:

6921 - 6940 of 6941 Posts